The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DoubleX
    Amen to that! One of Torre's flaws, IMO, throughout his entire tenure with the team is that he micromanages the pitching staff and over burdens his relievers.
    I'd put most of the blame on the pitch coach. I think that Torre relies heavily on these guys, but if he decides a guy is coming out, that's it.

Sometimes I wish he'd IBB a few people. Sometimes just to end the mess. Moose was again in his thing about giving up doubles. To offset this, I'd say that once a guy hits a double, followed by another one, just IBB the next guy. Not that this is ideal, but at least the guys aren't just trading 2B one right after the next. Let him calm down, see if he can induce the inning-ending (or at least rally-killing) DP.

I have no idea why Aaron Small was allowed to start the 9th inning when we're down by 2 runs. When the 1st pitch is a double, followed by a lineup then an IBB which doesn't result in a DP, that's not good news. 2 runs scored, which basically ended our chances against Wickman.

I think that had Ron Villone started that inning, we'd have had a better chance. A-Rod hit a solo HR. Hopefully, nobody complains too much about it.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
      Dude, you need to relax. It's only a game. These are only my opinions. This isn't life or death stuff. Again...relax.

Hahaha...I always love that. "It's only a game".
      I am relaxed.....and I am going to drop it. But still you don't make a liar out of me. LOL
      "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• All of y'all Yankee fans take one of these this morning (or whatever's left of it) and another right before the game!

If not, y'all officially get bonked!

Oops up-SIDE ya head, I said oops upside ya head!

Randy Johnson's been fined 5 days, which for pitchers, means one game, and if contested a day after his start (or next start, whatever) could be meaningless after he'd thrown (but missed) a Cleveland batter.

Now then, Interleague returns upon us and we travel to RFK Stadium, which I think hasn't been done in about 40 years. I heard yesterday via John Sterling that this is where the Yanks got one of about 5 of their history's forfeited games go their way, as the Yanks were losing by about 2 runs, but since it was the old Senators' last game, the fans stormed the field, preventing the continuation of the game.

Anyway, say hello to ex-farmhands Nicky and Sori (Sori by way of Japan). Had the D-backs had their way, we'd have sent them both for Curt Schilling. Wouldn't have been so bad, but how could we have defended his non-stop chatter? The man does love to hear himself speak, but you didn't hear it from me.

Anyway, let's hope for a Yankee win (as we always seem to do, anyway).
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• MLB has gotten ridiculous lately with these suspensions.

It especially irks me when former players who played the game know there are unwritten rules. If an opposing pitcher plunks your guy, then your pitcher must go out and avenge that plunking...usually by beaning the opposing team's best player.

That should go without saying. I think that players know adays know that it's going to happen..yet when it does they get all upset and want to charge the mound! Which is just stupid! With that said, I think Posada was out of line the other night. I seriously doubt J.Johnson was throwing at him. There was no reason for it.

But Randy beaning Eduardo Perez was perfect. Johnson beaned him for what Perez had done to him their previous meeting and at the same time, he earned his team's respect! Killed 2 birds with 1 stone.
          "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Bernie is hitting like it's 1996.

Comment

• Couple of short notes, as it is almost 2AM here:
              It's nice to see Williams hitting for average again (.286, .382 in June). One of his best stretches over the past couple years (though this could just be bias towards my most recent memories, as there have been several stretches).

I don't agree with Johnson throwing at Perez---He's been struggling, gets a good start, and wastes it??? I know the idea of team loyalty, etc., but it would be better for the team if he just got 7/8 solid innings. He was only up to 76 pitches before he brushed Perez back.
              This said, however, the suspension was just stupid. It's not the best word (well, words), but baseball is getting too politically correct. I mean, it's not like a baseball ever killed anyone, right?
              Me, at a Boston restaurant, to a waiter:
              Are you sure the Manny Ramirez (name of burger) isn't a sloppy joe?

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankees
                I don't agree with Johnson throwing at Perez---He's been struggling, gets a good start, and wastes it??? I know the idea of team loyalty, etc., but it would be better for the team if he just got 7/8 solid innings. He was only up to 76 pitches before he brushed Perez back.
                This said, however, the suspension was just stupid. It's not the best word (well, words), but baseball is getting too politically correct. I mean, it's not like a baseball ever killed anyone, right?
                I think Johnson throwing at Perez was a good move. Not only does it show that he still has some of that fire and that intimidation factor that was a trademark of his career, but it shows some comraderie. I think often the best teams are those that are tight and go out there as a team. I don't think the Yankees were doing much of that the past few years.

As for a baseball never killed anyone, you might want to talk with the family of Ray Chapman.

Comment

• Good show today for everyone but Jay-Dub and A-Rod. Melky came through when he had to and everyone did a pretty good job.... but why did Lee PH for Stinett when he was 2-2 ???

Anyone have the scoop on Farnsworth's injury? Maybe Joe will be able to shelve him for a bit and let Villone / Proctor step up.
                  "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

• Is it me or is Bernabe En Fuego right now? He hit 4-for-5, including the game-winning dinger in the top of the 9th. How clutch is that?!

I say for the meanwhile, put him in the 5 spot, moving Alex and Robinson down, keeping everyone else the same.

Alex Rodriguez needs to sit out a few games. He's just doing pretty bad right now.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/[email protected]

2nd inning: swings away at the 2-2 pitch, 1 out, bases empty.

3rd: reaches on an infield single, 2 outs, advances Giambi to 3B.

5th: popup to 1st on a 2-2 pitch, 1 out, bases empty.

7th: called strike a 1-2 pitch, 1 out, 2B/3B runners.

8th: swings away at a 2-2 pitch, bases loaded, 2 outs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                      Is it me or is Bernabe En Fuego right now? He hit 4-for-5, including the game-winning dinger in the top of the 9th. How clutch is that?!

I say for the meanwhile, put him in the 5 spot, moving Alex and Robinson down, keeping everyone else the same.

Alex Rodriguez needs to sit out a few games. He's just doing pretty bad right now.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/[email protected]

2nd inning: swings away at the 2-2 pitch, 1 out, bases empty.

3rd: reaches on an infield single, 2 outs, advances Giambi to 3B.

5th: popup to 1st on a 2-2 pitch, 1 out, bases empty.

7th: called strike a 1-2 pitch, 1 out, 2B/3B runners.

8th: swings away at a 2-2 pitch, bases loaded, 2 outs.
                      I agree, A-Rod needs a dayoff to clear his head. Torre lamented yesterday that without the DH he won't be able to get both Phillips and Giambi in the lineup. Perhaps Phillips could spell A-Rod at 3B for a day or two. Though, Torre will most likely play Cairo in A-Rod's absence.

Comment

• A few of Jeter's intangibles:

You can knock Jeter, but you can't forget him

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                          I agree, A-Rod needs a dayoff to clear his head. Torre lamented yesterday that without the DH he won't be able to get both Phillips and Giambi in the lineup. Perhaps Phillips could spell A-Rod at 3B for a day or two. Though, Torre will most likely play Cairo in A-Rod's absence.
                          I'm quite serious, BTW, of moving Bernie up to the 5-spot. I believe that Jeter at 3 is fine. I haven't checked his stats, but while keeping Giambi ahead of A-Rod, it forces Alex to be 5th. Ideally, Alex would be the 3-hitter, but this is a far from ideal scenario.

I haven't checked Phillips at 3B in awhile. How is he? I'm not sure which one I'd rather at 3B betwen himself and Cairo.

I figure that 7-8 innings of Giambi at 1B should be fine, then we put in Phillips in the 8th or 9th, after his last AB.

I'm not sure if playing 3B would hurt Phillips at 1B or not. If not, then Phillips at 3B, then put Cairo or A-Rod into the game when Giambi leaves for Phillips at 1B would be fine.

I remember when Giambi was on his way back offensively in 2005, Torre game him some ABs, but he would often be 1-for-4. I think that 1 fewer AB would've helped tremendously, so that he could be 1-for-3. I feel that after his day off, a structured program designed to falsely increase his BA through limited playing time would help.

When there's a big spot, I also think that Alex should try getting a walk. He seems to be interested in hitting, but the problem is that he's not doing this. Walking seems the next best plan, at least from my perspective. I remember that's what Giambi did last year and this year.

Comment

• The Farnsworth problem is worrisome. Back problems are tricky and my sympathies go out to him. (I'm now on anti-inflammatories and a muscle relaxant for back spasms; it ain't fun and there's the spectre of surgery. Let's hope his problem unwinds easily.) If this puts Proctor even more into the picture, it's not good, as he's already overworked. Keeping Dotel down is the right move. They need pitching, and all this speculation about Soriano is driving me nuts. He'd create more problems than he'd solve, and I'd be happy never to see this guy in pinstripes again. So much talent and no one wants to keep him. There's a reason.

Comment

• I was overhearing something on the pre-game, and Suzyn said that Don Mattingly was "intervening", as Rodriguez was clearly slumping.

There's something going on upstairs with him, and I'm thinking he's overthinking (as Sterling just said), and his not performing well in the higher pressure situations does seem disturbing.

Anyway, something of a project or an object to concentrate upon. Sterling mentioned that Wade Boggs had the "see the ball, hit the ball" thing. Cute.

Comment

• With two hits, including a tie-breaking 2-run dinger into CF, Alex' clutch shift appears to be working. Gee, I wonder if my namesake would have anything to do with this ...

Slumping Rodriguez says he's figured out his problem
                                WASHINGTON (AP) -- All was not lost for Alex Rodriguez during his 1-for-5 game with three strikeouts Friday night. He says he and Yankees hitting coach Don Mattingly discovered a mechanical flaw causing Rodriguez's recent slump.

"We figured it out, and I am going to be working with Donnie a little bit. It's a relief to know what it is," the All-Star third baseman said after New York's 7-5 victory at the Washington Nationals.

Rodriguez said the problem was "too technical" to explain, adding: "At least we have our finger on it."

He had an infield single in the third inning Friday, but otherwise popped up to first base and had those three Ks, including looking with runners at second and third in the seventh, and swinging with the bases loaded in the eighth.

After the latter, he threw his bat down, ripped off his batting gloves, and tossed his helmet.

"It's not mental. I was so excited for those two at-bats, probably a little to excited," Rodriguez said, referring to the final two strikeouts. "I really enjoyed the at-bats, just didn't enjoy the results."
                                I'm hearing in an in-game interview that A-Rod showed up after 9am to work on this issue, fixing the mechanicals.
                                Last edited by Mattingly; 06-17-2006, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X