No announcement yet.

The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To add onto that, Matt, Donnie said that A-Rod's mechanical problem was that he was shifting all his weight forward when swinging. He said it's a common flaw among guys who are slumping, but they've got it fixed now. And A-Rod is currently 2-3 in today's game with a single and a booming homerun to dead center field.

Comment

• Originally posted by pacewon
      To add onto that, Matt, Donnie said that A-Rod's mechanical problem was that he was shifting all his weight forward when swinging. He said it's a common flaw among guys who are slumping, but they've got it fixed now. And A-Rod is currently 2-3 in today's game with a single and a booming homerun to dead center field.
      He looked very fit and trim, had a nice swing, but he wasn't making contact. I thought it was mostly mental, but hadn't realized it was something about the mechanics. I've heard of guys making great strides, and that was because they'd widened their stance, allowing them better leverage for some reason when they'd swung.

Today's 6th inning debut is TJ Beam. Nice work in the 6th, but in the 7th, a leadoff HR (upper deck moonshot), followed now by a double. Had Shawn Chacon not gotten smacked around, despite having a 7-run lead in the 4th, he could've been eligible for winning a likely laugher, but he couldn't finish the 5th.

Meanwhile, Johnny Damon's gone bonkers, hitting a grand slam, going 4-for-5, 5 RBI, 2 runs scored. Sick.
      Last edited by Mattingly; 06-17-2006, 01:11 PM.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Wow.

Soriano looked like he's still bitter about the trade.
        Stole 2nd, 3rd and scored on the wild throw.
        "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• wow 10-9 to washington in the bottom of the 8th. That must be some game

*edit* make that 11-9
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Red Sox, you are the only only only!
          [/SIZE]

Comment

• Torre has gone to the well one too many times with Proctor. I was surprised to see him in the 8th. And now Mo has given up another run. Once again, this rotation and bullpen proves to be a mystery, allowing the Nationals (that's right - the Nationals) to score 9 unanswered runs. As usual, after getting a big lead, the Yanks stopped hitting. This is ridiculous.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyStarks
              Wow.

Soriano looked like he's still bitter about the trade.
              Stole 2nd, 3rd and scored on the wild throw.
              After a walk I think, he'd scored that run all by himself after stealing 2B, 3B, then home on the wild throw.

I remember once around 2002 or so, he'd hit to 3B, the ball was thrown away trying to nail him at 1B. He goes to 2B, they throw the ball away. He goes to 3B, they throw the ball into the dugout, so he goes home, all on one single play.

Torre's non-use of Ron Villone amazes me. He'll use Proctor, who Waldman and Sterling said has made more appearances than any other reliever, until his arm falls off, but Villone just occupies a spot on the roster. Now then, why didn't Villone get the 8th inning, keeping Proctor as a "just in case"? It's bad enough that Mo had earned a day off, but do you really put someone into the 8th inning for 5 outs after having done the same the prior game?

Chacon killed this game for us totally. With all the nice hits in the beginning of the game, the offense must've decided that would've sufficed, but our opponents didn't. How a 7-run lead can't be protected is beyond me. This was supposed to be a day off for Mo, not a blown save.

Oh, and Jaret Wright and Shawn Chacon should never again be allowed to start consecutive games. They kill the pen, meaning we'd need 12 pitchers, and possibly all 7 relievers in the same night.
              Last edited by Mattingly; 06-17-2006, 02:15 PM.
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Chacon touched for 6 runs. Is he having a sophomore jinx or what?

Comment

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
                  Torre has gone to the well one too many times with Proctor. I was surprised to see him in the 8th. And now Mo has given up another run. Once again, this rotation and bullpen proves to be a mystery, allowing the Nationals (that's right - the Nationals) to score 9 unanswered runs. As usual, after getting a big lead, the Yanks stopped hitting. This is ridiculous.
                  Agreed. Torre is riding the same two or three horses way too much. I don't understand why he's so reluctant to use Villone. Villone has proven capable this year, he hasn't been overworked, and he can eat innings out of the pen. I don't understand the logic of burning out the same couple of guys by using them night after night and not putting some faith in a steady veteran like Villone.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                    Agreed. Torre is riding the same two or three horses way too much. I don't understand why he's so reluctant to use Villone. Villone has proven capable this year, he hasn't been overworked, and he can eat innings out of the pen. I don't understand the logic of burning out the same couple of guys by using them night after night and not putting some faith in a steady veteran like Villone.
                    For about the past few years, Torre has had an infatuation with vets. Look at Todd Zeile and his ever-presence in the lineup, merely because he'd hit from the right side, so Torre took Nick Johnson--our ballyhooed left-hitting 1Bman--out of games when we'd face a LHP. It was so laughable, it wasn't even funny seeing a non-hitter batting 2nd behind Jeter.

I say that, barring a CG, if Ron Villone doesn't do 2 innings on Sunday, I feel that a "Why doesn't Villone get any love?" thread is very warranted.

For $200m, we should have a capable bullpen, and most importantly, a manager who shares the burden. It's possible we have a capable pen, but a manager who seems more bent upon a philosophy of trusting only a limited certain few, rather than spreading the burden, allowing all to be effective.

Given that Wright and Chacon never start in consecutive games, I can deal with their inability to do 5 innings. However, at least Chacon could've done more to hold a lead. I mean Alex Rodriguez hits a 2-run dinger, Damon wiht the slam and 5 RBI, scoring twice. How often do we get this?

If given a 7-run lead, few others would've lost by 2 runs. However, there's Joe, in with his safety blanket of Proctor and Mo, and we have to be totally embarrassed as Mo not only blows the save, but gives up 3 runs in only 1 inning. Who but Torre would have a closer do 10 outs in 2 games?

Another reason why I couldn't give a hoot how many pitches a reliever has thrown the prior game. It's a big routine, from warming up, sitting in the dugout, mental preparation. That's asking a bit in consecutive days.

Sometimes I think that the best thing that could ever happen to Torre would be that he had no more superpriced vets to put into the rotation and lineup. This way, he'd be forced to trust regular guys who are willing to bust their butts for him. Not big names, but reliable guys, then trusting others who can also do the job.

Right now, if Proctor and/or Mo so much as warm up on Sunday, Torre couldn't complain one bit if either went on the DL. Torre needs to end his endless infatuation with overusing the same people again and again, as if nobody else could possibly do the job. However, he's always making excuses when those same guys fail, which is something that logic would expect, given the lack of opportunities, trust or innings that others are given.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                      After a walk I think, he'd scored that run all by himself after stealing 2B, 3B, then home on the wild throw.

I remember once around 2002 or so, he'd hit to 3B, the ball was thrown away trying to nail him at 1B. He goes to 2B, they throw the ball away. He goes to 3B, they throw the ball into the dugout, so he goes home, all on one single play.

Torre's non-use of Ron Villone amazes me. He'll use Proctor, who Waldman and Sterling said has made more appearances than any other reliever, until his arm falls off, but Villone just occupies a spot on the roster. Now then, why didn't Villone get the 8th inning, keeping Proctor as a "just in case"? It's bad enough that Mo had earned a day off, but do you really put someone into the 8th inning for 5 outs after having done the same the prior game?

Chacon killed this game for us totally. With all the nice hits in the beginning of the game, the offense must've decided that would've sufficed, but our opponents didn't. How a 7-run lead can't be protected is beyond me. This was supposed to be a day off for Mo, not a blown save.

Oh, and Jaret Wright and Shawn Chacon should never again be allowed to start consecutive games. They kill the pen, meaning we'd need 12 pitchers, and possibly all 7 relievers in the same night.
                      Chacon and Jaret have both killed the bullpen this year. If either of them pitches you can pencil the bullpen in for a long day of work.

As for Villone, I think I've only seen Torre use him as basically a mop up guy.
                      Why? I have no clue as Villone has done very well whenever he's been called.
                      "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyStarks
                        Chacon and Jaret have both killed the bullpen this year. If either of them pitches you can pencil the bullpen in for a long day of work.

As for Villone, I think I've only seen Torre use him as basically a mop up guy.
                        Why? I have no clue as Villone has done very well whenever he's been called.
                        If Tanyon Sturtze were still here and he'd given up 3 runs in 1 inning, as Mo very unfortunately did, as Torre didn't have a clue not to overuse him, then Sturtze also would be getting the call again.

I think that Steve Karsay was coming off some injury, then when he became our setup man, he was super. He was one of the best setup men around, then Mo went on the DL. Therefore, Karsay was used very often, and then he became very exposed and far less effective. He too went on the DL.

Sometimes I wonder if Torre needs 12 pitchers, 11 or 10. He may as well carry 10, since he trusts very few of them and will overuse them anyway.

Personally, I think we need a new manager. As in the 2001 WS, yesterday, he'd brought the infield in, which is a move supposedly to get the DP. However, last I've heard anyway, you need to have that ball in your mitts before turning anything. The ball went past Jeter, who would've normally gotten to that ball, but was playing too shallow. Why even bring the infield in?

If Don Mattingly gets promoted to bench coach, I won't mind one bit.

Comment

• Unfortunately, I think we may have seen the best of Proctor in April. Whether it's due to overuse, or the fact that he was never the type of pitcher that Torre envisioned, he needs a long rest before he can be effective again. Torre wants to stick to this strategy where he does whatever he can to make it through the 6th inning, and then use the same three guys to close the game, be it Quantrill, Gordon, and Rivera, or Sturtze, Gordon, and Rivera, or Proctor, Farnsworth, and Rivera, Torre will stick to that formula whether it works or not. Unfortunately, there's very few combinations that can make that work, since there aren't that many guys who can pitch an effective inning game after game. Essentially, Torre wants to have three closers, and Proctor doesn't fit into that mold. It doesn't bode well that the bullpen is used up this early in the season.

Comment

• Strange dream I just had. We were down by 2 runs, and Melky Cabrera's leadoff single was being wasted as Jeter and Giambi get out. With 2 outs, Alex Rodriguez drives in Melky from 1B.

Then in the bottom of the 8th, with Chien-Ming "Ironman" Wang still pitching, after 2 walks (his first walks of the game), Vidro belts a screaming line drive into LF, which Melky snares, saving 2 runs.

Yanks still lead 2-1.

I've gotta stop daydreaming during these matinees. I'll figure it out eventually, but not anytime soon.
                            Last edited by Mattingly; 06-18-2006, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• Just had a nightmare when someone splashed cold water on me. Walkoff 2-run dinger loses it for us. Just when Wang, A-Rod and Melky were contributing a lot out there today.

Comment

• Well, this loss can be hung on the bullpen, because they couldn't hold a 7 run lead yesterday, essentially forcing Wang to stay in for the 9th inning today. The Yanks just lost two games to the Nationals, a team that is fighting it out for last place with the Marlins.

Then again, there's plenty of blame to go around in the lineup as well. ARod finally started hitting, and everyone else took the game off. Giambi has quietly gone into quite an impressive slump. Damon is turning into a feast-or-famine hitter. Oh yeah, this wasn't exactly Schilling on the mound for the Nationals either. I don't know why the Yanks have such trouble with these new pitchers - guys who have gotten clobbered in previous starts.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X