No announcement yet.

The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd take the loss today if they didn't lose so poorly yesterday - today was truly a freak thing and I'm really not upset @ Wang at all. I should really be upset at the bullpen and Chacon. If we hadn't blown that 7-run lead, Rivera would no doubt come in for the 9th today and we would have swept the Nationals. Just think about that. How the one crappy outcome of one game hung over into the next.
    "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

• *sigh*
      Another game that we just let get away.

I swear that Torre has no idea what so ever how to use a damn Bullpen or a Pitching staff for that.
      "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• I'm not so upset about today's loss. I was tough, sure, but it was very old-fashioned baseball - a tight contest, the starter goes for the complete game, he's got gas in the tank, and he makes a mistake to a professional hitter. Boom. Game over. How many have the Yanks won that way over the years? Yes, it would have been nice to have Mo, but to tell the truth I'm happy to see the starter try to go all the way and leave the relievers sitting in the pen. And to give credit, the guy on the mound for the other side pitched a fine game himself. I'd happily pay to see season full of these games over a season of blowouts. I take the point that the game the day before depleted the reserves, and it happens too often, but let's face and resolve these issues now, not in August. Small is gone and that experiment's over. Chacon may be heading the same route, I fear, much as I like him. Dotel is a project that may not pan out until next season. There doesn't seem to be anyone in the system ready for prime time, so it looks like and buy-and-trade situation. I think that with adequate rest the relief corps is very decent. So some kind of package in exchange for one durable starter? Sheff? Bubba? Melky? Cairo? What's the deal?

Comment

• Personally, I felt really bad for Wang after this loss. I've been waiting for him to get this first CG for weeks now, especially when he has 75 pitches at the end of 8 and Joe pulls him. He went and pitched his guts out, and really only made one real bad pitch all afternoon (the HR of course). I agree Joe has no idea how to use a bullpen. Poor Proctor is turning into a second Sturtze, good stuff, but overused, and his arm is blown out by Joe. Makes you wonder if Dotel will get the same fate. If only Joe could balance Farnsworth, Proctor and Villone decently. h
          He's going to not come back this year, sign with the Red Sox for like 8 dollars and win the Cy Young going 35-0 with an ERA of 0.00
          -Jglaubman of NYYFans.com, on Carl Pavano

J.B. Cox-Heir to the Closer Throne

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
            ...Jaret Wright and Shawn Chacon should never again be allowed to start consecutive games.
            Looks like somebody's taking your advice seriously, Matt. Joe's doing just the reshuffle you've suggested, and is inserting Wang. Also calling up a reliever from AAA who's apparently never pitched in the majors (correct that, please, if you know otherwise). Thompson sent down to make room. A lot of juggling but all inside the family. Now let's see which Randy takes the mound. I'd like to see him get through the first inning unscathed, not the easiest thing for him this season. Maybe watching Wang lose a heartbreaker will get his juices flowing. Also hope your namesake's work with A-rod keeps paying off.

Comment

• I really don't understand Torre's reluctance to use Villone or Myers? They were rested, especially compared to Proctor and Rivera. Contrary to what Torre might believe, left-handed relievers can pitch to righties if they need to. Villone has been a starter in his career, so he can eat innings. This reminds me of those comments made by Buddy Groom last year about how Torre only goes with "his guys," not matter what. Groom was right.

Comment

• Originally posted by sandlot
                Looks like somebody's taking your advice seriously, Matt. Joe's doing just the reshuffle you've suggested, and is inserting Wang. Also calling up a reliever from AAA who's apparently never pitched in the majors (correct that, please, if you know otherwise). Thompson sent down to make room. A lot of juggling but all inside the family. Now let's see which Randy takes the mound. I'd like to see him get through the first inning unscathed, not the easiest thing for him this season. Maybe watching Wang lose a heartbreaker will get his juices flowing. Also hope your namesake's work with A-rod keeps paying off.
                At least he's learned from his mistakes, however idiotic they were. Still, nobody could've predicted Wright's and Chacon's back-to-back stinkeroos.

Notes: Torre alters rotation
                Yankees looking for ways to aid overworked bullpen

=====================

Randy's doing just fine, using only 13 pitches an inning, and he's on a steady pace about his pitch count. Only 1 K over 3.1 IP, but 0 BB. Not dominating, but nothing I'd ever complain about by any chance.

I'm hoping that Wang is limited to 7 innings, since he's likely very tired after his CG. He needs to rebuild the confidence, as he definitely took one for the team yesterday. He pitched his heart out and proved that he's a real trooper out there. He's definitely a keeper.
                Originally posted by DoubleX
                I really don't understand Torre's reluctance to use Villone or Myers? They were rested, especially compared to Proctor and Rivera. Contrary to what Torre might believe, left-handed relievers can pitch to righties if they need to. Villone has been a starter in his career, so he can eat innings. This reminds me of those comments made by Buddy Groom last year about how Torre only goes with "his guys," not matter what. Groom was right.
                Let's face it: Villone and Myers are on Torre's "Charmin List", as I like to call it. They're not going to be used. Since they weren't used in Sunday's game, despite Torre's insistence that he'd wanted Villone for up to 4 innings if need be, then that was it.

To my thinking, you use Villone until his arm falls off, then after 4 scoreless innings, or ones in which the Yanks' runs are matched, you go to Proctor. After both Proctor and Mo have been used quite a bit recently, then I don't see any logic in using them both in the same game.

When a team starts to score, I believe that a very effective pitcher is needed to cool off the opposing momentum. Had Villone and Myers been more trusted, then we'd have been able to determine who can do what. However, unless it's a blowout, I say that a 7-run lead, even if whittled to a 5-run lead, would still be a situation where you can see if he can eat an inning or two w/o falling apart. Until then, I'll just complain.

Interestingly, the opposing pitcher, Myers, has 75 pitches over only 4.0 innings, yet he's got 8 K, 3 BB. Unit, with 52 so far over 3.2 IP, has a lower line of 2 K, 1 BB. Unfortunately, he just allowed a 2-run double, and the guy at 1B scored (after a walk).

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/[email protected]
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• I'm sold that from what Melky has shown at 21, that he'll become a good ballplayer. However, it's time that Torre sat him for a few games, and certainly get him out of the 2-hole. His average is down to .246. I'd like to see what Kevin Thompson could do with more ABs. He has tremendous speed. He's supposed to be good defensively, and he hits for some power.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                    I'm sold that from what Melky has shown at 21, that he'll become a good ballplayer. However, it's time that Torre sat him for a few games, and certainly get him out of the 2-hole.
                    I was just about to say the same thing. If Torre wants to keep Jeter in the 3 hole, then Cano should be moved up to 2nd in the lineup. I didn't especially like the lineup tonight, with Crosby playing instead of Bernie. The bottom third of the lineup is weak enough in the NL parks. No need to make it totally worthless. I liked Bernie batting 8th, because he can get on, and allow the pitcher the opportunity to bunt.

Did anyone else notice how quickly the 1-2 punch of Damon and Melky went down tonight? It seems like they started the inning several times, and the Yanks had two outs before you could blink.

Once again, I was disappointed with the way that the Yanks went down quickly after the Phillies scored. There's nothing more demoralizing than a quick inning after the other team scores.

How long is Farnsworth's contract? For a front-line, high-priced reliever, he makes getting three outs a little too interesting almost every time. The Phillies scored a run off of him tonight without getting a hit, and left the bases loaded. I shouldn't have to hold my breath every time a guy like him comes in to get three outs.

Comment

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan

How long is Farnsworth's contract? For a front-line, high-priced reliever, he makes getting three outs a little too interesting almost every time. The Phillies scored a run off of him tonight without getting a hit, and left the bases loaded. I shouldn't have to hold my breath every time a guy like him comes in to get three outs.
                      Here's Farn's pay:
                      06:$5M
                      07:$5.25M
                      08:$5.5M

The guy has really disappointed. I really liked the guy's stuff but was always afraid of this.
                      "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyStarks
                        *sigh*
                        Another game that we just let get away.

I swear that Torre has no idea what so ever how to use a damn Bullpen or a Pitching staff for that.
                        What does he have a pitching coach for?

Comment

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
                          I was just about to say the same thing. If Torre wants to keep Jeter in the 3 hole, then Cano should be moved up to 2nd in the lineup. I didn't especially like the lineup tonight, with Crosby playing instead of Bernie. The bottom third of the lineup is weak enough in the NL parks. No need to make it totally worthless. I liked Bernie batting 8th, because he can get on, and allow the pitcher the opportunity to bunt.

Did anyone else notice how quickly the 1-2 punch of Damon and Melky went down tonight? It seems like they started the inning several times, and the Yanks had two outs before you could blink.

Once again, I was disappointed with the way that the Yanks went down quickly after the Phillies scored. There's nothing more demoralizing than a quick inning after the other team scores.
                          Since Melky is the new kid, he should be cemented at the bottom of the order, just so he can see pitches. Perhaps he's unused to all the attention that a #2 hitter would face, so I'd agree that Cano should be used there, as he's in his soph year.

We're now 1-3 against NL teams, and these are the weaker NL East teams. There's only one strong team out there, and most of these teams are weak because the Mets have thumped them badly.

Interestingly, we'll have played the entire NL East between last weekend and next, as we have a homestand of the Marlins, Braves and a revisit by the Mets. I can somehow manage losing a series to the Mets, but to the Nationals and Phillies? That doesn't make sense.

I keep thinking that had Torre not stuck his hand in the cookie jar one extra time, as he's been prone to do, and used Mo for 5 outs in consecutive days, he might've been able to work the 9th on Sunday, possibly getting us a win.

Sometimes the rotation lets down the offense, and sometimes the offense lets down the rotation. Or sometimes the bullpen lets us down. I'm hoping to see on a regular bases, when we have good starting pitching, timely hitting and good relief pitching, all in the same game. Not just once, but on a regular basis. If not, then what's the use of having all the big names?

Hopefully, winning a game 5-3 isn't rocket science. :o
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• I agree about Melky, but Cano should never ever ever ever be in the 2 hole (or a the top of lineup). I would bat Posada second before putting Cano there.

Comment

• Why put Posada? he a good hitter but hes not fast. they should put cano he can get on base whenever you need him to and get a good hit Melkeys not ready yet:gt coffee any one
                              "It's deja vu all over again!"
                              -Yogi Berra-

Comment

• What up???????

First the Nationals then the phillies!!:grouchy Whats next the the pirates? the yanks need to win more games and beat the Mets to show them the yankees still are the kings of new york! We need RJand Moose to pitch good and A-Rod needs to start hitting homers!!!!
                                "It's deja vu all over again!"
                                -Yogi Berra-

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X