No announcement yet.

The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm driving home with my dad, and we lose radio signal a ways away from my Mom's house here in southeast PA. He drops me off and I take my stuff inside. I boot up a computer and load up gameday. Giambini then promptly homers and the game is tied up. I go to do some work.

While cleaning and doing the dishes, I decide to turn on the TV in case there were any world cup matches. Low and behold, Yanks / Braves on TV!!!! I was happy ... until the picture went out. I've been tired of our crummy cable TV always losing ESPN, so I tweaked the settings and found nothing. I even let the frequency channel autodetector run. While I didn't fix the TV, I was able to find the game on .. TBS!

I was just in time to watch Giles smack a homer. I thought it was over, because my luck had just turned (since I was watching the Braves on their home station) . I guess I was partially wrong, as A-Rod's luck did a complete turnaround and headed over the left field bullpen.
    "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

• Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was at the game yesterday and a-rod sucked. And even worse when i went to BP a stupid fan knocked the ball out of my hand that Jerk.:grouchy But most important the Yanks won today and i will most likely never say this ever but lets hope the mets win. and if the red sucks lose (sox) the yankees will only be out by 2.5 games :gt

Remember i like coffee
      "It's deja vu all over again!"
      -Yogi Berra-

Comment

• Guess whos back!!

Originally posted by rustyray
        Yay AROD, he turned a loss into a win with just one swing. Wang was awesome, too bad that he didnt get the win.

Watch,now A-Rod will start hittin homers and he will knock the red sox down. Who do they think they are world champions? it was these guys http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASA...x.jsp?c_id=cws
        And this year it will be http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...x.jsp?c_id=nyy
        "It's deja vu all over again!"
        -Yogi Berra-

Comment

• A-Rod with a clutch two run homer? I'm speechless. I hope this is the start of a trend, instead of a high water mark.

Comment

• If the Yankees scored some runs when he was on the mound, Wang could have had like 13 wins by now!
            Yankees '09

Arod, CC, AJ, DJ and Tex

Comment

• Lucky hit...
              Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

• Just thought I'd post these numbers (and these don't include today):

A-rod overall in 2006: 273/388/487, 15 hrs, 52 rbis
                A-rod with the bases empty: 268/369/449, 6 hrs, 6 rbis
                A-rod with runners on: 285/407/526, 9 hrs, 46 rbis
                A-rod with RISP: 302/450/535, 6 hrs, 39 rbis
                A-rod with the bases loaded: 429/500/857, 1 hr, 11 rbis

So (as you should see), A-rod does much better with runners on (and RISP) than with the bases empty, and he gets even better with the bases loaded.

In fact, his problem this year has been the exact opposite of what everyone has been saying -- he hasn't been producing with the bases empty!

An interesting note: if you subtract batting average from OBP, that gives you a good idea of how often a batter walks. Compare how often A-rod walks with the bases empty and with RISP. You'll find a huge discrepancy, which is easily explainable when you realize that he's protected by, at best, Jorge Posada, and at worst, Bernie Williams. As opposed to Ortiz, who is protected by a better hitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by ssbguyincognito
                  Just thought I'd post these numbers (and these don't include today):

A-rod overall in 2006: 273/388/487, 15 hrs, 52 rbis
                  A-rod with the bases empty: 268/369/449, 6 hrs, 6 rbis
                  A-rod with runners on: 285/407/526, 9 hrs, 46 rbis
                  A-rod with RISP: 302/450/535, 6 hrs, 39 rbis
                  A-rod with the bases loaded: 429/500/857, 1 hr, 11 rbis

So (as you should see), A-rod does much better with runners on (and RISP) than with the bases empty, and he gets even better with the bases loaded.

In fact, his problem this year has been the exact opposite of what everyone has been saying -- he hasn't been producing with the bases empty!

An interesting note: if you subtract batting average from OBP, that gives you a good idea of how often a batter walks. Compare how often A-rod walks with the bases empty and with RISP. You'll find a huge discrepancy, which is easily explainable when you realize that he's protected by, at best, Jorge Posada, and at worst, Bernie Williams. As opposed to Ortiz, who is protected by a better hitter.
                  I think that Alex should greatly reduce the number of walks he gets in a season. He makes more strikeouts over 3 seasons than Joe DiMaggio did over 13 seasons: 369, which is 28.38 SO per season. Amazing.

http://baseball-reference.com/d/dimagjo01.shtml

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=3115

Since 1998, Alex has averaged 120+ K per season, which I think is pretty high. Perhaps because he's an aggressive batter, as is Derek Jeter, that may account for this.

I believe that if he were to do like the great slugger Ted Williams and take more walks, he'd be better able to utilize that great speed of his which which won us the ALDS vs Minnesota in 2004 when he stole 3B then scored the winning run in the elimination game on a wild pitch. First, he needs to stop making so many outs and make 1B his friend.

BA is nice, but I consider a DP far more deadly than a strikeout, even though both count in the stat sheets as an out. A DP can kill an inning, but a sac fly can help a rally. Both count as an out, but like a bunt to advance the runners, one is productive while the strikeout is wasteful. The DP is even worse.

As to BA & OBP, you'd have to subtract the number of times he gets hit. Not that I'd like this to happen, as I don't like my Yankees being used as target practice. However, though it doesn't count in one's BA, it is a part of his OBP.

Simply put, when we're down by a run or two, need some help to create or continue a rally, he needs a nice single or a walk. Regardless of how he does it, he needs to tag up safely at 1B.
                  Last edited by Mattingly; 06-28-2006, 11:33 PM.
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                  THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                  Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Since 1998, Alex has averaged 120+ K per season, which I think is pretty high. Perhaps because he's an aggressive batter, as is Derek Jeter, that may account for this.

I believe that if he were to do like the great slugger Ted Williams and take more walks, he'd be better able to utilize that great speed of his which which won us the ALDS vs Minnesota in 2004 when he stole 3B then scored the winning run in the elimination game on a wild pitch. First, he needs to stop making so many outs and make 1B his friend.
                    I think you're being unreasonable now. A-rod's OBP year after year is 400, among the highest in the majors. It's a belief of mine that it doesn't matter how you make your outs, it matters how many outs you make.

And btw, I remember that play, A-rod doubled to get to 2nd and then stole 3rd. If you tell A-rod to change his swing so he doesn't strike out, then he won't swing as hard, which means he won't hit for power, which means he wouldn't have doubled in the first place.

If you rank the top ten players in strikeouts, and the top tne players in home runs, you'll find those lists match up quite nicely. It's not a coincidence.

I remmeber the correlation between the number of strikeouts a team did in a season and the number of runs they scored was something like 0.3 (could ahve been even lower), which basically means no correlation at all.

Comment

I think you're being unreasonable now. A-rod's OBP year after year is 400, among the highest in the majors. It's a belief of mine that it doesn't matter how you make your outs, it matters how many outs you make.

And btw, I remember that play, A-rod doubled to get to 2nd and then stole 3rd. If you tell A-rod to change his swing so he doesn't strike out, then he won't swing as hard, which means he won't hit for power, which means he wouldn't have doubled in the first place.

If you rank the top ten players in strikeouts, and the top tne players in home runs, you'll find those lists match up quite nicely. It's not a coincidence.

I remmeber the correlation between the number of strikeouts a team did in a season and the number of runs they scored was something like 0.3 (could ahve been even lower), which basically means no correlation at all.
                      Please let me know how many 120 strikeout seasons you find from this link:

http://baseball-reference.com/p/pujolal01.shtml

This slugger only struck out 100 times in his rookie year:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bondsba01.shtml

It's not about slugging; it's about discipline and avoiding bad pitches. Slugging may go on a holiday, but discipline never should, as far as I'm concerned. Same with defense. With greater discipline, I believe that Alex Rodriguez would be a much finer slugger. It's that simple.
                      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• By handpicking Pujols and Barry Bonds, you're picking the only two sluggers who don't strike out.

Here are some other notable sluggers:

Adam Dunn, 88 K's, 225/372/539, 24 hrs
                        Ryan Howard, 80 K's, 286/350/618, 27 hrs
                        Jim Thome, 78 K's, 283/413/606, 24 hrs
                        Alfonso Soriano, 74 K's, 271/337/542, 24 hrs
                        Troy Glaus, 70 K's, 248/349/533, 21 hrs
                        Pat Burrell, 68 K's, 252/376/534, 19 hrs
                        Nick Swisher, 66 K's, 277/392/427, 19 hrs
                        Manny Ramirez, 65 K's, 302/437/604, 20 hrs
                        David Ortiz, 58 K's, 264/375/542, 22 hrs
                        Jason Giambi, 57 K's, 271/431/624, 23 hrs
                        Travis Hafner, 55 K's, 310/453/620, 21 hrs
                        Paul Konerko, 47 K's, 314/386/571, 19 hrs

I just listed the best sluggers in baseball. Interestingly, I just went to Yahoo Sports and ranked players by K's. What everyone on that list has in common is: 1) they strike out a bunch, 2) they hit a lot of hrs, 3) they have high slugging percentages. Hmmm....

A question you should ask yourself is: are a lot of strikeouts really an indication of lack of patience? I think you'll find that if you do a little research (instead of handpicking two examples and extrapolating), you'll find the answer is no. In fact, a lot of patient hitters strike out a lot because, in being patient, they bat very often with two strikes.

I'll leave it to you. You can either rank patience by OBP or P/PA. Go to espn.com, rank the players by either of those categories, and compare how often those people strike out. You might be suprised.

With a 400 OBP, A-rod is a really disciplined hitter. One of the most disciplined in the majors (expect 100 walks this season). Other players with absurdly high OBPs include Jason Giambi, Kevin Youklis, Derek Jeter, Travis Hafner, Bobby Abreu, Manny Ramirez, Nick Johnson, Jim Thome, Scott Rolen, Jason Bay. And they all strike out a lot.

In fact, Jason Giambi and Kevin Youklis have the best discipline I've ever seen. And they strike out a bunch.

Of course, the only two sluggers who do all this and don't strike out are Albert Pujols and Barry Bonds. But if you did a little more research, you'll find that these two are exceptions to the rule, not the rule. You can't expect A-rod to change his swing to not strike out because then he won't hit for power. In fact, it doesn't even matter that he strikes out a lot, because all that matters is how many outs you make, not how you make them.

Comment

• Originally posted by HankAaron86
                          Lucky hit...
                          Like every other HR people hit. Your point being?

Comment

By handpicking Pujols and Barry Bonds, you're picking the only two sluggers who don't strike out.

Here are some other notable sluggers:
                            Are those 2006 numbers? If so, then you may try 2005 numbers, since those are the ones I've used in the past for having top sluggers.

I've looked at the stats for Ortiz and Manny, and both have 120 or so K per year, so your point is taken. However, the two I've given are considered the two top sluggers in baseball the past few years, so I don't feel there's any "extrapolating" or whatever, implied. I simply feel that those are two examples of top mashers who've been very disciplined at the plate in that they don't strike out much.

If Alex could turn some of those strikeouts into walks, then his non-batting offensive stats may not increase, but runs scored and SB could likely go up.

One of the examples you'd given, Alfonso Soriano, has long been criticized for his strikeouts, especially since he wasn't walking much. He had about 7 times as many SO as he did BB. Bad enough that alone, but he was a leadoff hitter. That to me made teh situation worse.

Another you'd mentioned is Jason Giambi: http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/giambja01.shtml

Look at his 2001 season, his last with his hometown Oakland A's: 129 BB, 83 K. He's got just over 50% more walks than strikeouts. That to me indicates he had a great eye, was very discerning at the plate. That he'd batted .342 and had a 1.137 OPS seemed to add greatly to the mix, I'd believe.

When Jason struggled quite a bit, that's when his SO rate got remarkably higher. He was swinging at anything, hoping to catch greased lightning, but ending up catching air. I much preferred his more disciplined approach. Heck, even when he doesn't hit the upper deck bomb, he's getting walks. In fact, Giambi's OBP is .160 higher than his BA, which to me is one reason why he's the #3 hitter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...e?statsId=5386

When people talk about Alex Rodriguez being one of the best position players ever, due to his bat and his glove, as well as his speed on the basepaths, I believe that he could do something like this if he'd become more disciplined.

Perhaps the big strikeouts of Ortiz or Manny don't get the same publicity as does Alex' (ESPN is based in the New England part of Connecticut, so figure that one out), but I'd like to see him go in that direction where great offense meets great discipline. Once you lower the ratio of BB:K, I believe that makes the guy less effective when we need him. Which to me is every AB from now on end.
                            Last edited by Mattingly; 06-29-2006, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Unfortunately, strikeouts are a necessary evil of A-Rod's game. It would be nice if he would take more walks and was a bit more selective at the plate, but then he might not be the player he is (recent struggles aside). Part of his game is being aggressive at the plate, and it's worked pretty well for him in his career.

Comment

• I don't understand the notion that he's not disciplined. His OBP is 400! He gets close to 100 walks a season!

Robinson Cano or Vlad are undisciplined hitters. Not A-rod.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X