The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ssbguyincognito
    I don't understand the notion that he's not disciplined. His OBP is 400! He gets close to 100 walks a season!

Robinson Cano or Vlad are undisciplined hitters. Not A-rod.
    I should've said he could've been more disciplined, as in Giambi in 2001. When you have >50% more walks than whiffs, to me, that says discipline.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Well it looks like I`m back. My old computer broke so I had to buy a new one. Well for Wednesdays win I would like to thank a player I have critizized unmercifully, Jeter, he had a fairly tough AB in the bottom of the 12th which set the stage for a walk by Giambi and the walk of by MVP. He also saved a couple of hits with his fielding for a change. Another great game by Wang as well he now as the second highest VORP of all Yankees pitchers.
      2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Strikouts aren't a sign of lack of discipline--high strikeout totals and low walk totals are signs og lack of discipline.

Comment

• Brilliant Torre is taking out Mussina after 4 no-hit innings. 15 outs to get. If you figure we have Proctor, Villone, Farnsworth and Rivera to get those outs then one has to go two and everyone else has to go one. Meaning we need a very economical start by the Big Unit tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
            Brilliant Torre is taking out Mussina after 4 no-hit innings. 15 outs to get. If you figure we have Proctor, Villone, Farnsworth and Rivera to get those outs then one has to go two and everyone else has to go one. Meaning we need a very economical start by the Big Unit tomorrow.
            After the rain delay, he must've tightened up. I think it was about a 70-minute delay, as it had started about 8:15pm ET or so.

Moose's time clock is very unusual. If he pitches a day too soon or too late, his timing's off. I'm not sure I'd blame Torre on this one. Either he's on or he's off.

I'm just hoping that our pen can hold up our meager 2-zip lead, and that our bats don't sit on such a small lead.
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
              After the rain delay, he must've tightened up. I think it was about a 70-minute delay, as it had started about 8:15pm ET or so.

Moose's time clock is very unusual. If he pitches a day too soon or too late, his timing's off. I'm not sure I'd blame Torre on this one. Either he's on or he's off.

I'm just hoping that our pen can hold up our meager 2-zip lead, and that our bats don't sit on such a small lead.

It wasn`t intended as critisism of Torre. It was meant in frustration.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                It wasn`t intended as critisism of Torre. It was meant in frustration.
                I understand. Just make sure not to hit your non-pitching hand against the clubhouse wall, a la Kevin Brown.

Anyway, Villone got some love for 2 innings, Proctor and Farnsworth went scoreless, and of course, Mo went 1-2-3.

Alex got the boo birds when he'd made the 3rd out with Jeter on 2B, but that kind of thing will happen. Perhaps a deep hit to the wall, or even one that was caught would've helped, rather than a popup.

Boston lost to Florida (Joe Girardi must still be on George's payroll), and Dontrelle beat their #5 pitcher I think, so it's in the books.

Up to Unit now, and y'all listen out for reports of Moose. I figure it was either precautionary re his early removal after the rain delay, or he simply couldn't loosen up, as Waldman mentioned.

After having lost a bunch of 1-run games last season at Shea, I'll take this 2-run game. With Moose, we can get away with this. Hopefully, we don't try this with Wright or Chacon.

Nice game from ex-Yank, El Duque. 7 innings and 2 runs isn't anything to be ashamed of with our lineup.

Comment

• Kind of a weird game. Mussina was heading for a NH and as far as I could tell, was perfect except for a Miguel Cairo error. He either got hurt, or more probably, tightened up after the long delay. I feel pretty bad that he only needed three more outs for the win.

Great work from the bullpen, though!!!
                  "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

• When do we get rid of Johnson? Slowly I have had it with him.

Another seven runs. I don't understand why Torre is still using him as a SP. Move him to the bullpen.

Comment

• Originally posted by yankees rule
                      When do we get rid of Johnson? Slowly I have had it with him.

Another seven runs. I don't understand why Torre is still using him as a SP. Move him to the bullpen.
                      It's back to the "good Randy or bad Randy" thing, and the bad guy won out.

The drama started in the 1st with 2 RISP and David Wright wasn't pitched around. If 2 RISP in the 1st isn't a sign of trouble, then I don't know what is.

Back in June 2002, Barry Bonds was up with 2 guys on in the 1st. Torre didn't IBB him to load the bases. Guess what happened? The way the ball was hit into the RF upper deck, I'd thought I was literally watching a ping-pong game.

Perhaps some have different thoughts on 1st inning walks than I do, but to me, if a game is being threatened, a manager should do whatever is available to win the game. Wtih David Wright being a reliable hitter, I felt that the IBB could've helped.

A walk may get a pitcher slightly off his rhthmn, but at least it takes the bat out of a lesser hitter. I'd have much preferred to take my chances against Julio Franco than David Wright. If Franco comes through, even if a groundout sends the 3B runner home, all you can do is tip your cap to him.

Game over, as the Mets didn't do us any favors in Boston, yet do Boston a big favor tonight. Rubber match on Sunday with Jaret Wright on the hill. Hopefully, he doesn't burn the pen out.

Comment

It's back to the "good Randy or bad Randy" thing, and the bad guy won out.

The drama started in the 1st with 2 RISP and David Wright wasn't pitched around. If 2 RISP in the 1st isn't a sign of trouble, then I don't know what is.

Back in June 2002, Barry Bonds was up with 2 guys on in the 1st. Torre didn't IBB him to load the bases. Guess what happened? The way the ball was hit into the RF upper deck, I'd thought I was literally watching a ping-pong game.

Perhaps some have different thoughts on 1st inning walks than I do, but to me, if a game is being threatened, a manager should do whatever is available to win the game. Wtih David Wright being a reliable hitter, I felt that the IBB could've helped.

A walk may get a pitcher slightly off his rhthmn, but at least it takes the bat out of a lesser hitter. I'd have much preferred to take my chances against Julio Franco than David Wright. If Franco comes through, even if a groundout sends the 3B runner home, all you can do is tip your cap to him.

Game over, as the Mets didn't do us any favors in Boston, yet do Boston a big favor tonight. Rubber match on Sunday with Jaret Wright on the hill. Hopefully, he doesn't burn the pen out.
                        I can only look to the stats. And there it shows that he was touched for another seven runs. If you say that I don't know the story behind it, you're absolutely right. If he didn't get the order to pitch around David Wright, you can not blame him completely.

But it seems to me that Johnson is having two or three bad games for every good game he is pitching. That is not enough for a guy making this kind of money.

As far as I am concerned it has nothing to do with bad Randy, good Randy. You now I always have opposed against this trade.

Comment

• Originally posted by yankees rule
                          I can only look to the stats. And there it shows that he was touched for another seven runs. If you say that I don't know the story behind it, you're absolutely right. If he didn't get the order to pitch around David Wright, you can not blame him completely.

But it seems to me that Johnson is having two or three bad games for every good game he is pitching. That is not enough for a guy making this kind of money.

As far as I am concerned it has nothing to do with bad Randy, good Randy. You now I always have opposed against this trade.
                          Randy simply doesn't have the capabilities to handle the better righties, I'm starting to think. He'd taken care of Ortiz very easily in their last meeting, but Manny put a hurt on Randy.

Torre should try not letting his struggling guys go mano-a-mano with hitters. Pitching around someone who's very dangerous has been done very often, last I've heard.

Even had we lost 5-3, I'd have taken that. But 8-3? That's a bit too much.

Then in the 7th, with Cairo on 2B and Damon on 1B, Jeter hits into a DP, followed by a Giambi groundout.

In the 1st, we had 1B/2B runners, but on the double steal attempt, the strikeout-throwout DP had Giambi returning to the bench and Damon being gunned down at 3B. Talk about wasted opportunities.

Comment

The 1st inning intentional walk looks good in retrospect. However, Torre didn't want to make a bad situation worse, and help the Mets get an even bigger inning. Also, Torre had no idea that his team wouldn't be able to get hits with RISP, while the Mets were going to get several clutch two out hits. I have to say, rarely have I seen a team turn momentum against itself as I did with the Yankees today.

I heard a stat on the post game show that over the last several games, the Yanks are something like 6 for their last 67 ABs with RISP. How do you win any games like that?

I wanted this game badly. Due to the Fox blackout, I was forced to listen to the game on ESPN radio on my XM. Dave Campell was just taking shot after shot at the Yankees. For example, when asked what advantage the Yanks had over the Red Sox, he responded "Attendance." I would have liked to see him eat his words, but I guess it wasn't to be.

Comment

• I perfectly happy with Randy's performance during the stretch where he was having bad start after bad start it was mentioned that for every 3 good starts he had he was expected to have 1 bad one and lately that is what he has been doing. He really seems to have straghtened himself out. He hasn`t been throughing the splitter much lately which might be affecting him

Comment

• The Big Unit had 3 straight quality starts b4 yesterdays beating. I just think that he had a bad day. He would bounce back the next time out. Then there is AROD hitting another meaningless home run in the 8th inning.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X