The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rustyray
    The Big Unit had 3 straight quality starts b4 yesterdays beating. I just think that he had a bad day. He would bounce back the next time out. Then there is AROD hitting another meaningless home run in the 8th inning.
    Yesterday's weather wasn't even that bad. No rain, and the damp weather was often a source of his physical complaints. It was Friday's game that Moose pitched in that we had the heavy rainfall.

As to Alex, he can hit as many HRs--meaningless or not--that he can. I'd much rather he hit lots, then it's one less thing for us to worry about. Sometimes I wonder if he'll hit a solo HR, a solo double, but when we've got the bases loaded, 2 outs, he strikes out. Fans will likely boo him the way they've been conditioned to by the NYC media.
    Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
    I perfectly happy with Randy's performance during the stretch where he was having bad start after bad start it was mentioned that for every 3 good starts he had he was expected to have 1 bad one and lately that is what he has been doing. He really seems to have straghtened himself out. He hasn`t been throughing the splitter much lately which might be affecting him
    So long as the ratio is 3:1 in our favor, I'll deal with it. However, hopefully, he'll have fewer of these bad starts, and preferably, his next bad one won't be against Boston.

If he has a bad day, I do hope that the better hitters get pitched to very carefully or simply IBB'd. That David Wright guy seems like he's to the Mets what Miggy Tejada is against us: dangerous.
    Last edited by Mattingly; 07-02-2006, 07:25 AM.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
      The 1st inning intentional walk looks good in retrospect. However, Torre didn't want to make a bad situation worse, and help the Mets get an even bigger inning. Also, Torre had no idea that his team wouldn't be able to get hits with RISP, while the Mets were going to get several clutch two out hits. I have to say, rarely have I seen a team turn momentum against itself as I did with the Yankees today.

I heard a stat on the post game show that over the last several games, the Yanks are something like 6 for their last 67 ABs with RISP. How do you win any games like that?

I wanted this game badly. Due to the Fox blackout, I was forced to listen to the game on ESPN radio on my XM. Dave Campell was just taking shot after shot at the Yankees. For example, when asked what advantage the Yanks had over the Red Sox, he responded "Attendance." I would have liked to see him eat his words, but I guess it wasn't to be.
      I think that a team meeting may be in order. That lackadaisical approach seems to be permeating. Perhaps showing more fire and not accepting defeat can be helpful.

With the Mets, I think they've got nothing to lose. Even though they're a top NL team, from last season, they didn't do so well, so they've got everything to gain and very little to lose. The Yanks, however, have a stronger reputation for making the playoffs every season, but now that's in jeapordy. I believe that more of the "play to win, not just to avoid the loss" needs to be force-fed these guys. I believe we've got the talent to do so.

As to getting a bigger inning, I'd still much rather take my chances on Julio Franco, with all due respects, than David Wright. My feeling is that with 1 out, a quality hitter can score a guy from 3B on a groundout. A lesser hitter may hit it to 3B or SS, and they may check the runner. Either that or a strikeout. I'd always trust the lesser hitter not to drive the guy(s) in from 2B/3B.

When a pitcher's at his best, let him go one-on-one with the guy in the box. When he's overused or you see a bad day approaching, such as him not hitting his spots, too many pitches in the 1st inning, I figure a trend may be setting in. If he gets out of that 1st inning, he may correct himself. If he doesn't then he may end up throwing all of his pitches for everyone in the lineup to see. I figure put him on base, worry about the lesser guy.

Still, you have to worry about the pitcher's concentration being lost on the act of throwing 4 wide ones. Clemens once made a wild pitch on an IBB around 2002. Then can he regroup himself that early in the game to return to effectiveness and not get off track. I'll roll the dice with the IBB to face the lesser hitter.
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Anyone see that bottom of the 3rd? WOW!
        Yankees '09

Arod, CC, AJ, DJ and Tex

Comment

• I posted this in the All Star thread, but it fits here too....

Jeter and A-Rod were voted starters for the All Star Game. Cano made it as a reserve (behind Mark Loretta who has no business being voted the starter) and was replaced due to injury. And Rivera made it as well. I'm very happy that Cano was named, even though he can't make it. I can understand Giambi's snub with Ortiz being voted the starter (even though he's a DH) and with Thome and Konerko having great years with Chicago, plus Travis Hafner who is having a great year and is on the final 5 cutdown. I can understand Posada getting squeezed though I believe him to be more deserving than Ivan Rodriguez, who at least edged out Jason Varitek (that would have been terrible if he was voted the starter this year given his performance). But what I don't understand is Mike Mussina's snub. No one is talking about him being snubbed and he's not even on the final 5 list. His 3.17 ERA is better than most every pitcher who made the team and his 9-2 record is pretty nice as well.

Comment

• I'm very much enjoying the resurgence of Alex Rodriguez in not only getting a *VERY* clutch grand salami with our team down 4-2, but also getting a 3-run bomb to follow up that the first HR wasn't just a mistake. To anyone who'd thought he'd made a meaningless HR on Saturday, I'd say that he had to start somewhere, and no HR is truly meaningless when a player has been off track for awhile. Hits like that were very few and far between just a week ago.

Lost in this, after the very poor outing by Jaret Wright, was that our bullpen again came through. Not brilliantly perhaps, but when your pen allows 3 ER over 7.1 innings, I'd say that's like a fine start and qualifies as a "quality start".

Ron Villone, previously buried into the mopup role, came through with 3 innings, only 1 ER. Finally his ERA has driven up to 2.13, but after we'd started pouring in the runs, it's great not to see a guy give them right back, which could've easily have swung the momentum of the game.

When the speed freak Jose Reyes hit into his 11th triple today, I figured that us being down 4-zip early, this didn't look like the makings of a Yankee victory. They ran around the bases very quickly, moved the runners along nicely. They did the things we should've done, but had this done against us.

Those big hits really changed things around, as I've noticed that whenever we've lost series to the Mets, those years didn't happen to be so good. Perhaps just a funny feeling of mine, but that's my thoughts.

I'd seen Alex getting rid of the frustration from getting booed non-stop, as he hadn't performed up to his expectations. When he'd finally gotten the monkey off his back in coming through big time when his team was down, I couldn't blame him for being highly enthusiastic. However, Mets catcher, Paul LoDuca, wasn't too enthused:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/[email protected]
            Mets catcher Paul Lo Duca was angry with the way Rodriguez watched his grand slam and tossed his bat away, yelling at the third baseman as he crossed home plate.

After some enthusiastic high-fives, Rodriguez turned back toward Lo Duca, but they were separated by plate umpire Tim McClelland as Jason Giambi jawed with Lo Duca.

"It upset me a little bit that he threw his bat. I want to protect my pitcher, and I didn't like the way he showed him up," Lo Duca said. "You want to stare at it, that's fine. But don't toss your bat and stare at your dugout like that. Act like you've hit one before."

There was no further trouble the rest of the night. Rodriguez declined to comment.

"It's over with, and that's that," Lo Duca said.
            Hidden quality of this win: despite scoring 9 runs in the first 3 innings, the Yanks, unlike in prior games, didn't just sit on that big lead: they kept chipping away to make it a blowout, rather than just a game we'd need Farns and Mo to help us win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
              I'm very much enjoying the resurgence of Alex Rodriguez in not only getting a *VERY* clutch grand salami with our team down 4-2, but also getting a 3-run bomb to follow up that the first HR wasn't just a mistake. To anyone who'd thought he'd made a meaningless HR on Saturday, I'd say that he had to start somewhere, and no HR is truly meaningless when a player has been off track for awhile. Hits like that were very few and far between just a week ago.

Lost in this, after the very poor outing by Jaret Wright, was that our bullpen again came through. Not brilliantly perhaps, but when your pen allows 3 ER over 7.1 innings, I'd say that's like a fine start and qualifies as a "quality start".

Ron Villone, previously buried into the mopup role, came through with 3 innings, only 1 ER. Finally his ERA has driven up to 2.13, but after we'd started pouring in the runs, it's great not to see a guy give them right back, which could've easily have swung the momentum of the game.

When the speed freak Jose Reyes hit into his 11th triple today, I figured that us being down 4-zip early, this didn't look like the makings of a Yankee victory. They ran around the bases very quickly, moved the runners along nicely. They did the things we should've done, but had this done against us.

Those big hits really changed things around, as I've noticed that whenever we've lost series to the Mets, those years didn't happen to be so good. Perhaps just a funny feeling of mine, but that's my thoughts.

I'd seen Alex getting rid of the frustration from getting booed non-stop, as he hadn't performed up to his expectations. When he'd finally gotten the monkey off his back in coming through big time when his team was down, I couldn't blame him for being highly enthusiastic. However, Mets catcher, Paul LoDuca, wasn't too enthused:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/[email protected]

Hidden quality of this win: despite scoring 9 runs in the first 3 innings, the Yanks, unlike in prior games, didn't just sit on that big lead: they kept chipping away to make it a blowout, rather than just a game we'd need Farns and Mo to help us win.
              Eh Jaret Wright is what he is. An overpaid, highly mediocore, number 5 starter. He's pretty solid as #5 guys go so I guess you have let thiis one go. I think A-Rod loosened up after the walk-off. I don`t know about his second homer (he had 2) but the "meaningless homer" in the 8th the day before yesterday and the grand slam seemed to be effortless. Thank you bullpen, enough said.

NOTE: Edited coding to fix "quotes" only; no text edits whatsoever.
              Last edited by Mattingly; 07-03-2006, 07:06 AM.
              2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• A-rod's looking into the Yanks' dugout - twice - after homeruns suggests that perhaps there's been some rumbling in the ranks. Maybe the first time, a look of relief would have been in order, or a smile, or anything indicating that he felt the monkey jumping off. Fair enough. His June was so horrendous that I wouldn't have faulted him for pausing on the firstbase line to burn ritual incense. But the bat-tossing and hands-raised gestures to his own teammates after each homer? And that, after getting he'd been called out the first time to acknowledge the fans' applause? Just how much grief has he been getting?

Comment

• Jaret Wright was plain awful. The bullpen did a super job in giving up 3 runs over the rest of the game. Villone with 3IP and Mike Myers of all people with 2 scorless innings. The only ones not used were Smith, Farnsworth and Mo and I think that group is enough for Monday's game against Cleveland since Wang is the starter and hopefully he can continue to give 7-8 quality innings. Our offense was all AROD. He had a hell of a game. He deserved those curtain calls.

Comment

• Lo Duca was overreacting IMO. Sure, A-Rod could have been more modest, but as far as modest sluggers and displays go, A-Rod and last night were nothing. Plus, a moment like last night has been a long time coming for A-Rod. After all the fans and the media have put him through, he deserves a moment to enjoy an accomplishment for his team. Lo Duca should have sat down shut up and realized that he got a gift in the form of an All Star appearance. Guys like Johnny Estrada and Michael Barrett should be doing the yapping at Lo Duca.

Comment

• Originally posted by rustyray
                      Jaret Wright was plain awful. The bullpen did a super job in giving up 3 runs over the rest of the game. Villone with 3IP and Mike Myers of all people with 2 scorless innings. The only ones not used were Smith, Farnsworth and Mo and I think that group is enough for Monday's game against Cleveland since Wang is the starter and hopefully he can continue to give 7-8 quality innings. Our offense was all AROD. He had a hell of a game. He deserved those curtain calls.
                      This game, barring the horrendous performance by Jaret Wright, was truly impressive, in that the guys who'd often been unused (and thus, untrusted) were given a chance to shine, if only for the bare necessity that Torre had dipped excessively into the well of Proctor, Farns and Mo quite a few times too often. When the back end of your rotation comes up big in a game, one which we could've just as easily had a slugfest (look at the White Sox-Cubs 15-11 games last night), I'm very pleased.

I'd said somewhere earlier in this thread that in Seattle, Sweet Lou had 5 guys in the pen that he could trust. Now Torre can hopefully add Villone and Myers to the list of Proctor and Farnsworth, as well as Mo of course.

As acknowledged last night by ESPN's Bonnie Bernstein, the same Sweet Lou had paid a visit to Alex the other day and he'd immediately come out of his slump, hitting a HR.

Alex did have a great game. Only that 10-RBI game he'd had once was better, and he'd also gotten a slam then. That monkey off his back has been removed, so I'm glad he seems to be back. That 2nd one over the fence confirmed his return to being himself. Oh, the grand slam was into the "black".

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                        Lo Duca was overreacting IMO. Sure, A-Rod could have been more modest, but as far as modest sluggers and displays go, A-Rod and last night were nothing. Plus, a moment like last night has been a long time coming for A-Rod. After all the fans and the media have put him through, he deserves a moment to enjoy an accomplishment for his team. Lo Duca should have sat down shut up and realized that he got a gift in the form of an All Star appearance. Guys like Johnny Estrada and Michael Barrett should be doing the yapping at Lo Duca.
                        I'm personally wondering why the flip of the bat into the dugout was troublesome. It was headed into the Yankee dugout. I'll admit that he could've just put it down, but after so much that the media have made about his salary and his failing when we'd needed him the most, he finally crushed one into the black seats of the bleachers. Since the ump didn't warn Alex about throwing equipment, I'm not sure what the story here is.

If Alex looks into the dugout, what's the deal. There are fans there above the dugout, and his looking at his teammates doesn't seem like a bad thing to me. I'm not sure what the jawing off thing was about.

After he'd caught the same Alay Soler in a 9-4 loss to Boston, one in which Soler only went 4.1 innings, I'd say that Paul LoDuca would have more important things to worry about than Alex Rodriguez.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                          Jeter and A-Rod were voted starters for the All Star Game. Cano made it as a reserve (behind Mark Loretta who has no business being voted the starter) and was replaced due to injury. And Rivera made it as well. I'm very happy that Cano was named, even though he can't make it. I can understand Giambi's snub with Ortiz being voted the starter (even though he's a DH) and with Thome and Konerko having great years with Chicago, plus Travis Hafner who is having a great year and is on the final 5 cutdown. I can understand Posada getting squeezed though I believe him to be more deserving than Ivan Rodriguez, who at least edged out Jason Varitek (that would have been terrible if he was voted the starter this year given his performance). But what I don't understand is Mike Mussina's snub. No one is talking about him being snubbed and he's not even on the final 5 list. His 3.17 ERA is better than most every pitcher who made the team and his 9-2 record is pretty nice as well.
                          Wow, XX. I think I agree with almost everything you've written. Something must be terribly wrong in the universe.
                          The only addition I'd make is that I'm not sure either Loretta or Cano actually "deserve" the starting spot. What are your thoughts on Iguchi?
                          "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• Originally posted by SoxSon
                            Wow, XX. I think I agree with almost everything you've written. Something must be terribly wrong in the universe.
                            The only addition I'd make is that I'm not sure either Loretta or Cano actually "deserve" the starting spot. What are your thoughts on Iguchi?
                            Wow Soxson. You agree with a Yankee fan?

Now it is time to take the next step. You can join our side now. You may take your time. You don't have to rush things. But in the end we will take you in our arms.

Comment

• Congrats to ARod.

This was a big game that he needed.

As for LoDuca...and any other catcher or pitcher who doesn't want to see Ortiz, Manny, ARod or Dunn standing at the damn plate watching their Jacks and then flip their bats...I have an answer for you!

DON'T GIVE UP THE DAMN HOME RUN AND THEN NO ONE WILL SHOW YOU UP!

As for ARod looking into the dugout, I think it's nothing.
                              Maybe he was looking at Torre or Mattingly...just a look that says he hasn't lost total confidence and it may have been more of a "Look...you see".
                              No biggie...lets not make it more than it is. Onto the Indians!
                              "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Originally posted by yankees rule
                                But in the end we will take you in our arms.

*shivers in horror* h
                                "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X