No announcement yet.

The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is Pavano going to return? Next millenium? An answer to farnsworth is Dotel. When the hell is he to return?
    "Once he hit a line drive right past my ear. I turned around and saw the ball hit his ass sliding into second." - Satchel Paige (about Cool Papa Bell)

"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." -Mickey Mantle

"Some twenty years ago I stopped talking about the Babe (Ruth) for the simple reason that I realized that those who had never seen him didn't believe me." - Tommy Holmes

Comment

• Originally posted by rustyray
      With the sweep, we are 3 games out of the WC spot. I thought that the most we could have taking from the reigning champs was 2. Great to see Mo get his 400th.
      It is hereby proclaimed, affirmed and passed by me, myself and I that the term "Wild Card" or is ugly initials, "WC" shall never under any circumstances be mentioned in the Yankee forum. There is only one thing in Yankeeland that's worthwhile:

THE DIVISION!

I'm just hoping that we can beat the Mariners this time. Wang start it off for us. If he gives us a good quality start, I'm fine with that. Our bats must remain hot, our newfound defense must keep making those big plays as opponents have often done against us. Get those hits, rob those hits, eat those innings.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by BiggestYankeeFan_in_Memphis
        When is Pavano going to return? Next millenium? An answer to farnsworth is Dotel. When the hell is he to return?
        Torre hopes to have him back in 10 days.
        2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
          It is hereby proclaimed, affirmed and passed by me, myself and I that the term "Wild Card" or is ugly initials, "WC" shall never under any circumstances be mentioned in the Yankee forum. There is only one thing in Yankeeland that's worthwhile:

THE DIVISION!

I'm just hoping that we can beat the Mariners this time. Wang start it off for us. If he gives us a good quality start, I'm fine with that. Our bats must remain hot, our newfound defense must keep making those big plays as opponents have often done against us. Get those hits, rob those hits, eat those innings.
          Unless of course it is describing whether Detroit, Chicago or Boston shall win it The good news is that we won`t have to face King Felix.

Comment

• The great thing about the Yankees hanging in like this is that in time the team will be getting back many of the injured players and that would be almost as if the team made some trades. Cano will soon be back and add to the offense. Dotel will join the team in a week or two and help the bullpen. Pavano might be back in a month and should give the team an upgrade at the 5th starter. Matsui and Sheffield could return in August or September and give a big boost to the offense.

My only concern with all the players returning is that it could ruin the comraderie and enthusiam this team has been showing in recent months. The team is playing hard and all out every night, and it's fun to watch. The return of Matsui and Sheffield could mark a return to a less together clubhouse and a return to the sit and wait for the big inning style. Win or lose, I like this Yankee team a lot more than I did when Sheffield and Matsui were there. They are both great players, but I like the adjustments the team has made and the way the team focuses more on the little things and playing hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
              Unless of course it is describing whether Detroit, Chicago or Boston shall win it The good news is that we won`t have to face King Felix.
              If we win the division, the WC comes from the Central, I'll be just fine. All the Boston fans would like nothing more than not having to deal with the Yanks this postseason, so back at 'em.

With a 53-36 record (89 games), we're at the .596 mark right now. To me, in order to guarantee either the AL East or the ... that lesser alternative which I won't mention ... I think we'd need to get 100 wins. No way we don't make the playoffs with that.

Anyway, in order to get 100 wins with 73 games left (47 more wins), we'd need to win at a 64.38% clip. That means we'll need to almost win 2 of every 3 games from here to the end of the season. This means winning many *SERIES*, not just individual games.

I've heard on the radio that Matsui may be headed back at the end of this month, but I'd rather not rush him. Too much time and money invested in him for him to be sidelined for an excessive time.

I think that we can make the playoffs, especially by winning the division. We will still have to win our games. I don't think it makes much sense to hope excessively that Boston keeps losing, as eventually, they'll start winning again. In the meanwhile, if we lose too often, we won't be going anywhere but golfing at the country club this October.

47 more wins in the next 73 games. Tough job, but not impossible. *PLAY BALL*
              Originally posted by DoubleX
              The great thing about the Yankees hanging in like this is that in time the team will be getting back many of the injured players and that would be almost as if the team made some trades. Cano will soon be back and add to the offense. Dotel will join the team in a week or two and help the bullpen. Pavano might be back in a month and should give the team an upgrade at the 5th starter. Matsui and Sheffield could return in August or September and give a big boost to the offense.

My only concern with all the players returning is that it could ruin the comraderie and enthusiam this team has been showing in recent months. The team is playing hard and all out every night, and it's fun to watch. The return of Matsui and Sheffield could mark a return to a less together clubhouse and a return to the sit and wait for the big inning style. Win or lose, I like this Yankee team a lot more than I did when Sheffield and Matsui were there. They are both great players, but I like the adjustments the team has made and the way the team focuses more on the little things and playing hard.
              In that case, that great trade you doth speaketh about would mean trading our starters for a great bench.

Didn't the Yanks have a great bench in 1996 or so? Straw was our DH, I think, and we had all kinds of guys. I'd have to look that up, but if our guys can make throws like what Melky made last night to nail a guy by a mile and a half at home, our bench will be fantastic. There won't be any "B Team" in Yankeeland!

As to sitting and waiting, I look upon Sheff now somewhat like Ruben Sierra: at one time, he was our big bopper, could get very timely hits. Certainly not as often as Sheffield in 2004, but he did do lots of stuff as a pinch hitter. After being hurt, he wasn't as productive.

I think that Sheffield is great offensively, especially with all that bat speed, but unless he does this consistently, I can't see the Yanks paying extra for what he did earlier. Perhaps it's a bit of the "What have you done for me lately?" but if he can't produce right now upon his return, I don't see his 2007 option being picked up. I hate being cruel, but the "Thank you for your time, enjoy yourself" thing may not be too far away.

Unless as an alternate DH to Giambi, or perhaps a 4th OF, I don't see him much in the future. Torre may be addicted to his vets, but results by Melky do go a long way.
              Last edited by Mattingly; 07-17-2006, 07:41 AM.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                If we win the division, the WC comes from the Central, I'll be just fine. All the Boston fans would like nothing more than not having to deal with the Yanks this postseason, so back at 'em.

With a 53-36 record (89 games), we're at the .596 mark right now. To me, in order to guarantee either the AL East or the ... that lesser alternative which I won't mention ... I think we'd need to get 100 wins. No way we don't make the playoffs with that.

Anyway, in order to get 100 wins with 73 games left (47 more wins), we'd need to win at a 64.38% clip. That means we'll need to almost win 2 of every 3 games from here to the end of the season. This means winning many *SERIES*, not just individual games.

I've heard on the radio that Matsui may be headed back at the end of this month, but I'd rather not rush him. Too much time and money invested in him for him to be sidelined for an excessive time.

I think that we can make the playoffs, especially by winning the division. We will still have to win our games. I don't think it makes much sense to hope excessively that Boston keeps losing, as eventually, they'll start winning again. In the meanwhile, if we lose too often, we won't be going anywhere but golfing at the country club this October.

47 more wins in the next 73 games. Tough job, but not impossible. *PLAY BALL*

In that case, that great trade you doth speaketh about would mean trading our starters for a great bench.

Didn't the Yanks have a great bench in 1996 or so? Straw was our DH, I think, and we had all kinds of guys. I'd have to look that up, but if our guys can make throws like what Melky made last night to nail a guy by a mile and a half at home, our bench will be fantastic. There won't be any "B Team" in Yankeeland!

As to sitting and waiting, I look upon Sheff now somewhat like Ruben Sierra: at one time, he was our big bopper, could get very timely hits. Certainly not as often as Sheffield in 2004, but he did do lots of stuff as a pinch hitter. After being hurt, he wasn't as productive.

I think that Sheffield is great offensively, especially with all that bat speed, but unless he does this consistently, I can't see the Yanks paying extra for what he did earlier. Perhaps it's a bit of the "What have you done for me lately?" but if he can't produce right now upon his return, I don't see his 2007 option being picked up. I hate being cruel, but the "Thank you for your time, enjoy yourself" thing may not be too far away.

Unless as an alternate DH to Giambi, or perhaps a 4th OF, I don't see him much in the future. Torre may be addicted to his vets, but results by Melky do go a long way.

Who is this Pavano you speak of Double X? Seriously I forgot about him but your right in a month we could have Carl pavano as our 4/5 starter and Matsui as our right-fielder rather than Bernie. If we get our big guys back we will have an INHUMAN bench. Think about it, assuming we get both Matsui and Sheffield back we will have a player with a player with a .357 OBP as our 4th outfielder (if bernie is DH). A mere 64.38%? I almost feel bad for Boston. Almost :gt
                Last edited by Mariano_Rivera; 07-17-2006, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                  Who is this Pavano you speak of Double X? Seriously I forgot about him but your right in a month we could have Carl pavano as our 4/5 starter and Matsui as our right-fielder rather than Bernie. If we get our big guys back we will have an INHUMAN bench. Think about it, assuming we get both Matsui and Sheffield back we will have a player with a player with a .357 OBP as our 4th outfielder (if bernie is DH). A mere 64.38%? I almost feel bad for Boston. Almost :gt
                  I actually think that the return of all these players could be a bad thing. It could disrupt the chemistry and gritty style the team has developed recently. I also am not ready to count out Toronto - they're hanging in there and could get hot.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                    I actually think that the return of all these players could be a bad thing. It could disrupt the chemistry and gritty style the team has developed recently. I also am not ready to count out Toronto - they're hanging in there and could get hot.
                    That is true but Matsui embodies the words gutty gritty. Sheffield is slightly different though. I wonder if Torre will even play Sheffield. I could see him have Melky play left/right, Matsui play left/right and have Giambi alternating with Sheffield playing DH and when Sheffield DH's Giambi can play first (When Giambi DH's obviously Phillips would play first)

Comment

• You know, Mattingly, Sierra just got released by ze Twins...
                      "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

• Originally posted by mikesty
                        You know, Mattingly, Sierra just got released by ze Twins...
                        Yeah I heard about that and I immediately though of another outfielder.

4-2 Yanks and Posada just had a leadoff double looking for more. Boston is down 4-0. i have a feeling at the end of the day it will still be a 0.5 game deficit between the two teams only this time a different team will lead the division :gt

Comment

• I gotta stop saying these things :noidea Mirabelli just tied it up with one swing of the bat.

Comment

• What's the matter with A-Rod? He is having a bad night. Three throwing errors. BA of 0.00 so far.

He has been bullied the last weeks. It won't be less after tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
                              What's the matter with A-Rod? He is having a bad night. Three throwing errors. BA of 0.00 so far.

No explanation for the throwing errors but he had fantastic numbers against the pitcher already and I guess you can`t go 2-4 against the same guy every day. Or in other words he was do for a bad day, I guess

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
                                What's the matter with A-Rod? He is having a bad night. Three throwing errors. BA of 0.00 so far.

If the Yanks win, no one will really remember.

Subject change...Anyone notice that Scott Proctor has been throwing very well, and hard (I think I saw 98 on the gun the other day) since the All Star break. Perhaps proof that Torre overused him in the first half and that he needed some time off to rest and regroup.

Here's what he's done since the All Star break.

2 IP, 0 H, 4 Ks, 0 BB

Sure it's a small sample, but it's quite a turnaround from his struggles in the month leading up to the break.
                                Last edited by DoubleX; 07-17-2006, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X