No announcement yet.

The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, but these arguments, interesting as they were, have by now been rehearsed ad nauseam and nothing is going to change the facts regarding who's on the team and in what position. Barring injuries and unexpected returns from injuries, the lineup's set. Any manager would be out of his mind to switch around players' positions in August and with his team in first place. The Yanks' pitching has been spotty and the relief corps brings as much heartburn as it does relief -- solve the pitching problems and A-rod could throw a ball per game into the upper deck and who'd care? Jeter (.345) is at short and he'll stay there, full stop. No moves to the OF for him, nor to 2nd base. Cano has second nailed down. The OFers in future are Matsui, Damon, Abreu and Cabrera. The flux spot is first base, and my foggy crystall ball shows Sheffield and Phillips taking turns. Giambi's main asset, IMHO, is for trade and they should cash that in for the perceived value while they still can, if they have any contract flexibility to do it. The team needs arms, not bats and not gloves. They are not going to give away key prospects, thank hevvins, so what's left for them to do? I'm not conceding the post-season -- like every NY fan, I want the team in the Series -- but at the same time we have to look ahead, the way a GM should. A major trade for a single star player (Giambi), with maybe one of the dubious arms bullpen tossed in, the team could handle right now. Any more than that would be too unsettling. So, this is the team we've got, and we've got to be behind it. The offseason will be another story. Let's leave the A-Rod saga to the folks over at ESPN (Every Story Pumped to the Nines) and at Faux News. Just my two cents.

Comment

• The Yanks again find themselves facing a rookie pitcher for the first time - a situation that has produced disturbingly poor results this year. Every team with a rookie pitcher that faces the Yanks leaves thinking that they've found the next Roger Clemens. To make matters worse, Weaver is legitimately good. Any bets on how the Yanks do today?

Comment

• Originally posted by sandlot
        Sorry, but these arguments, interesting as they were, have by now been rehearsed ad nauseam and nothing is going to change the facts regarding who's on the team and in what position. Barring injuries and unexpected returns from injuries, the lineup's set. Any manager would be out of his mind to switch around players' positions in August and with his team in first place. The Yanks' pitching has been spotty and the relief corps brings as much heartburn as it does relief -- solve the pitching problems and A-rod could throw a ball per game into the upper deck and who'd care? Jeter (.345) is at short and he'll stay there, full stop. No moves to the OF for him, nor to 2nd base. Cano has second nailed down. The OFers in future are Matsui, Damon, Abreu and Cabrera. The flux spot is first base, and my foggy crystall ball shows Sheffield and Phillips taking turns. Giambi's main asset, IMHO, is for trade and they should cash that in for the perceived value while they still can, if they have any contract flexibility to do it. The team needs arms, not bats and not gloves. They are not going to give away key prospects, thank hevvins, so what's left for them to do? I'm not conceding the post-season -- like every NY fan, I want the team in the Series -- but at the same time we have to look ahead, the way a GM should. A major trade for a single star player (Giambi), with maybe one of the dubious arms bullpen tossed in, the team could handle right now. Any more than that would be too unsettling. So, this is the team we've got, and we've got to be behind it. The offseason will be another story. Let's leave the A-Rod saga to the folks over at ESPN (Every Story Pumped to the Nines) and at Faux News. Just my two cents.
        I agree - we've got to support what we've got (which isn't too bad at all). Nice post, btw.

Comment

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
          The Yanks again find themselves facing a rookie pitcher for the first time - a situation that has produced disturbingly poor results this year. Every team with a rookie pitcher that faces the Yanks leaves thinking that they've found the next Roger Clemens. To make matters worse, Weaver is legitimately good. Any bets on how the Yanks do today?
          I was thinking the same thing before the game. The Yanks have trouble with mediocre rookies, let alone studs like Weaver. So far Weaver has looked very sharp - his breaking stuff is great. He has 7 ks through 4 (though A-Rod's 2nd K was bogus, strikeout 3 was miles outside).

Comment

• What's up with the meaningless HRs in the 9th? Couldn't we have done this in the 4th or so?

Also, with Weaver's pitch count so high, getting him out an inning earlier would've helped.

Monday's game with Unit now becomes a must-win, especially with Boston winning 11-9. Not a very good night for them either, but a win is a win, even an ugly one.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
              The Yanks getting A-Rod shows the absolute gluttony and lack of common sense that has taken over the Yankees the last few years. They needed a 3rd baseman (after Boone's injury), and paid big bucks for a shortstop because he had a huge pricetag and a big name, and then tried to convert him (with questionable success). In other words, they went after something they really didn't need just because they could. When Yankee critics talk about the Yanks being bad for baseball, I usually disagree. However, this was an egregious example of the Yanks using their buying power to collect talent just because they could. Additionally, A-Rod's huge price tag most likely prevented them from going after what they really needed at that time - a center fielder. At least when they got Johnson (a move I didn't like either), they were going after a much-needed lefty starter. When the Yanks got Giambi, they thought that they were upgrading at 1st, at least offensively. I would rather have had it turn out better (with both Johnson and Giambi), but at least there was some rationale to the acquisitions.
              I'll agree that the Yanks would've been better off (at least financially) with another person at 3B. However, who was available at the time who could've been signed? The trade was announced in February 2004. I believe it was Valentine's Day, as I remember what was going on at the time (unrelated to baseball, so I won't discuss).

Had we not signed him, I believe we could've gotten Carlos Beltran at CF instead (he'd offered some $100m discount to go to us for 6 years).

I keep thinking that we may have had a chance at trading for Mike Lowell, but I doubt he would've been available at the time. The Marlins weren't selling everything after having been denied the whole new stadium deal.

At times, I feel that the Yanks were interested in getting Alex because the Red Sox couldn't get him. Then the Red Sox did the same and got Schilling after we wouldn't trade Soriano and Nick Johnson for him. Two players who were then traded anyway. Soriano went for A-Rod, and his Nats beat us before. Nick Johnson & Juan Rivera went to the Expos, then when they'd moved to the Nats, Nick stayed there and Rivera is with the Angels.

So the Nats beat us, Vazquez beats us. Meanwhile, the end result of those trades--A-Rod and Unit--are both having tough times. Amazin'. :o
              Last edited by Mattingly; 08-13-2006, 04:47 PM.
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• yea the yankees have been beat by old teamates and do you mean Carlos Beltran?

Comment

• I`m back and I`m going to ingnore the above post. I don`t know if anyone else has noticed but A-Rod and Cano have been carryng this team offensively. We`ve been battling at least. Hopefully we can win today and split then sweep Baltimore heading into the 5 game set. We're going to need A+ Randy for today even A- won`t suffice against this pitcher.
                  2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                    I`m back and I`m going to ingnore the above post. I don`t know if anyone else has noticed but A-Rod and Cano have been carryng this team offensively. We`ve been battling at least. Hopefully we can win today and split then sweep Baltimore heading into the 5 game set. We're going to need A+ Randy for today even A- won`t suffice against this pitcher.
                    To me, I'd take A- Randy. Here's my perception:

A+ Randy = 8 innings, 1 run allowed, 10 K. Dominating performance.

A- Randy = 7 innings, 2-3 runs, 5 K. Very good performance, a quality game.

If he doesn't have the high number of whiffs, I'm fine. I don't use that as a barometer to whether or not he's on his game. I use that only as to how *MUCH* he's on his game (A- or A+). In either case, I'd still say that A- would be on his game.

To me, it all depends upon his back. If that tightens up, his slider is flat like a pancake, his heater is 92mph and nothing he throws falls where it's supposed to. In fact, a few of them will likely fall into the bullpen somewhere.

If his physical condition is fine, I'd say we've got a great chance to win. Of course, our guys need to score some runs. Hopefully early and not end the scoring from there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                      To me, I'd take A- Randy. Here's my perception:

A+ Randy = 8 innings, 1 run allowed, 10 K. Dominating performance.

A- Randy = 7 innings, 2-3 runs, 5 K. Very good performance, a quality game.

If he doesn't have the high number of whiffs, I'm fine. I don't use that as a barometer to whether or not he's on his game. I use that only as to how *MUCH* he's on his game (A- or A+). In either case, I'd still say that A- would be on his game.

To me, it all depends upon his back. If that tightens up, his slider is flat like a pancake, his heater is 92mph and nothing he throws falls where it's supposed to. In fact, a few of them will likely fall into the bullpen somewhere.

If his physical condition is fine, I'd say we've got a great chance to win. Of course, our guys need to score some runs. Hopefully early and not end the scoring from there.
                      We need A+, 2 or 3 runs is far to many against this guy.

Comment

• Wow, we got lucky, unless the bullpen blows it it looks like 2 runs might be enough. Great start, he was throwing the splitter and getting an abnormal number of GB. Congrats to Randy on his 4,500th SO (only the third to have that many and trails only Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens who he could pass) I would rather congratulate him on a win though.

Comment

• A lot of Yankee fans seem to forget that A-rod deservedly won the MVP last year. Has there ever been another time in history when the reigning MVP has been questioned so much by his own fans?

People forget that from 2003 to 2004, the Yankees lost Clemens, Wells, and Pettite, three big-time pitchers. They replcaed them with Lieber, Contreras (when he was bad), and Kevin Brown. Hardly a gruesome threesome. Yet the Yankees won 101 games both years? Because they improved their offensive -- largely due to A-rod.

And in 2005, A-rod slugged 48 hrs, 120+ rbis, I think 130 runs, led the AL in OBP and SLG, led the majors in equivalent average, runs created, VORP, etc... Does anyone think the Yankees could have won the division without A-rod?

BTW, the Yanks pay A-rod $16 mil/year. That's less than Jeter, Mussina, Giambi, and Randy. And A-rod is worth more than all of them. A good year for Jeter is a 900 OPS. A bad year for A-rod is a 900 OPS.

Comment

• Originally posted by ssbguyincognito
                            A lot of Yankee fans seem to forget that A-rod deservedly won the MVP last year. Has there ever been another time in history when the reigning MVP has been questioned so much by his own fans?

People forget that from 2003 to 2004, the Yankees lost Clemens, Wells, and Pettite, three big-time pitchers. They replcaed them with Lieber, Contreras (when he was bad), and Kevin Brown. Hardly a gruesome threesome. Yet the Yankees won 101 games both years? Because they improved their offensive -- largely due to A-rod.

And in 2005, A-rod slugged 48 hrs, 120+ rbis, I think 130 runs, led the AL in OBP and SLG, led the majors in equivalent average, runs created, VORP, etc... Does anyone think the Yankees could have won the division without A-rod?

BTW, the Yanks pay A-rod $16 mil/year. That's less than Jeter, Mussina, Giambi, and Randy. And A-rod is worth more than all of them. A good year for Jeter is a 900 OPS. A bad year for A-rod is a 900 OPS.
                            Is that a quote from me? I`ve tried making that exact argument to others (my uncles and grandfather namely) but they insist that it only matters how you do in the clutch/playoffs (to which I slam my head on the wall) and that it doesn`t matter that it is just 16 by the Yanks and that it is 25 in total.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                              We need A+, 2 or 3 runs is far to many against this guy.
                              Apparently, Randy was either an A or A-, depending upon how you rank things. 7 innings, 2 ER, 5 K, 1 walk. He definitely performed like an ace tonight. I'm not expecting 8 innings, 1 ER from him every time.

I still think that 7 innings is plenty, as he's had very bad days, then when Torre feels confident (or just wants to give the pen a lazy day), he decides to amp it up to 8 innings. I say to let the man rest the last 2 innings and unless there's a serious pitcher's duel, to just see if he can do 6-7 innings every time. Preferably 7, but he's not 35 anymore.

I'm just happy he's performing so well. Last season, several people wondered aghast what he'd bring in 2006, much less 2007. I'm at least gaining greater optimism now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                                Apparently, Randy was either an A or A-, depending upon how you rank things. 7 innings, 2 ER, 5 K, 1 walk. He definitely performed like an ace tonight. I'm not expecting 8 innings, 1 ER from him every time.

I still think that 7 innings is plenty, as he's had very bad days, then when Torre feels confident (or just wants to give the pen a lazy day), he decides to amp it up to 8 innings. I say to let the man rest the last 2 innings and unless there's a serious pitcher's duel, to just see if he can do 6-7 innings every time. Preferably 7, but he's not 35 anymore.

I'm just happy he's performing so well. Last season, several people wondered aghast what he'd bring in 2006, much less 2007. I'm at least gaining greater optimism now.
                                I`m starting to think he should get the Jaret Wright treatment, he should be kept on a very short leash as he goes into the seventh. After Figgins had that hit he really should have been removed for Proctor. All in all that was nothing major though, excellent start.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X