No announcement yet.

The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posada is finally out of his slump with 3 hits. A split with the Angels is very good considering that the Angels have a + .500 record against the Yanks during the Torre era. Now its onto Baltimore and I see the Yanks looking past them for the Red Sox. Baltimore might win this series if the Yanks arent focused at the task at hand.

Comment

• The Yankees have a tough stretch that started with the White Sox. I was pretty much expecting them to at best split with those pesky Angels. I wanted that first game against the White Sox which would have gotten the Yankees off to a better start.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
        I`m starting to think he should get the Jaret Wright treatment, he should be kept on a very short leash as he goes into the seventh. After Figgins had that hit he really should have been removed for Proctor. All in all that was nothing major though, excellent start.
        http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/[email protected]
        Angels 7th
        Randy Johnson pitching:
        Robb Quinlan: Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Foul, Quinlan struck out swinging.
        Jose Molina: Molina doubled to center.
        Reggie Willits: Willits grounded out to second.
        Chone Figgins: Strike looking, Strike swinging, Ball, Figgins singled to center, Molina scored.
        Howie Kendrick: Strike looking, Kendrick doubled to deep right, Figgins scored.
        Orlando Cabrera: Ball, Strike looking, Foul, Foul, Foul, Cabrera grounded out to second.
        End of Inning (2 Runs, 3 Hits, 0 Errors)
        I'm guessing that Torre doesn't like Randy being a 6.1 inning starter. He seems to like the 7- and 8-inning starts. Back in the Arizona desert when Randy had more youth, he'd often do a few CGs. He was like an ironman out there, so he was quite durable. Perhaps Torre was thinking along those lines.

It was chancy, but even after the 2nd run scored, we were then tied. Sometimes you have to simply rely upon your Opening Day starter. It's like leaving in a setup guy to work himself out of trouble. If you don't, then you'll never be able to tell whether or not he can do this in the 5th inning the next time. I consider it like a necessary rolling of the dice. People will sweat bullets, but the guy's gotta clean up his own mess at times.

Thankfully, he left with the score tied, since when Rodriguez plated Damon on the sac fly in the bottom of the 7th, Randy was still the pitcher of record and thus, the winning pitcher.

Posada's taken a 1-day leave from his awful funk. Hopefully, he can hit well against Baltimore, which absolutely caved in to Boston this weekend. For example, check out Baltimore's Adam Loewen:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=5502

Against us, he goes 6.1 innings, and they shut us out, 5-zip. Yet against Boston, he 2.1 innings, gives up *SIX* earned runs, as Boston steamrolls to a 9-2 win. Since he's set to pitch on Wednesday vs Cory Lidle, I suggest he get a "Bronx Cheer" + a rude awakening of the Yankee variety.

Moose is on the hill tonight. Hopefully, a certain 3Bman can avoid making any fielding errors which lead to 4 runs that weren't expected to be there, forcing our Baltimore farmhand ace to overthink, as if he needs to be perfect from then onward. Either that or Torre may just consider giving Alex the day off.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• A nice article I happened across:

Salmon Has Bronx Tales to Tell
          NEW YORK — Tim Salmon wasn't looking too forward to Monday night's game.

"Honestly, I was mapping out this start 10 days ago at home," Salmon said. "I was trying to figure out if the Big Unit was throwing."

The Big Unit, of course, is Yankees left-hander Randy Johnson, a pitcher few players, Salmon included, look forward to facing. Salmon entered Monday with a .167 career average (nine for 54) and 22 strikeouts against Johnson.

But Salmon, 37, now starts only against left-handers, and if Johnson was pitching, he knew he'd play one last game, barring a return for the playoffs, in Yankee Stadium before he retires after this season.

Sure enough, Johnson started Monday and Salmon started at designated hitter in what will probably be his last appearance on baseball's most hallowed grounds, where his major league career began on Aug. 20, 1992.

"Every player remembers the day he was called up — that's the magic of the big leagues," Salmon said. "It was really cool to do it here. When you think of all the places to experience your first game, no place else has more history, more tradition."

Salmon got his first hit here on Aug. 22, 1992.
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Nice article, Ugh we're not looking good, runners on the corners with nobody out and Tejada up. We need a K right here, then a DP and then a rally.

Well we got Tejada under a ball and Abreu's arm seemed to frighten the runner on third from scoring, now we need a DP on Gibbons. 0 _____o At least Boston is down.

WE'RE GETTING CRUSHED OUT THERE. A-Rod error, tough play for him, it really should have been scored a hit through difficulty of play. Now it's 3-0 with a RISP. We REALLY need to sop the bleeding right here.
            Last edited by Mariano_Rivera; 08-15-2006, 06:19 PM.
            2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• *slams head on wall* Ugh, why do players choose to make amazing catches in key situations against us every time. I hate to say it but Damon ciould have given us 2 more runs. In the first he got out to leadoff and in the fifth he he ended the inning. Well hopefully we can hold them, then maybe we have a chance to score 3 more runs against Bedard for one more inning (hopefully) and the bullpen

Comment

• No matter, Damon just tied it 3-3 in the bottom of the 7th.

He now has 17 hrs and an 840 ops!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ssbguyincognito
                  No matter, Damon just tied it 3-3 in the bottom of the 7th.

He now has 17 hrs and an 840 ops!!
                  Wow, things are totally turning around. Not only have the Yankees taken the lead (and are 4 outs away from victory) but Boston lost as well, we now have a chance to move back to 3 games up!!!!!

Comment

• Great game!

Solid performance by Mussina with a key misplay, so that kinda stinks, but Moose hung on and the bullpen did a great job as we kicked some butt and got a win. No doubt the Mora catch was AMAZING, robbed at least a base hit from Posada I think. That one was a screamer - hurt his thumb!

Some great hustle and some good hits from Damon, good bullpen work, and finally a great save by Rivera with a good play too. Now we're three games up thx to Detroit

Ehh, anyone catch Bowa picking his nose in the 9th in the dugout???
                    "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

• Huh??? How the heck did we win that ganes :o

Comment

• No shortage of chances to score against Baltimore. Couldn't get from 3rd to home. First time for Dotel in a while; maybe he was nervous, and bringing him in when the team's down a run might not be the best moment, but he didn't look sharp and got the hook quickly. If NY can get out of Fenway and not lose more than a game in the process, I'll breathe a big sigh of relief. The Bosox are a lot better than the Orioles.

Comment

• Two on in the 8th, then Bernie smashes one straight to 2Bman Brian Roberts, who tosses this straight to Miggy Tejada to double up Abreu at 2B. Totally killed a rally with 2 on, 1 out.

Blown chances against Loewen. Rubber match tonight. Hopefully a win. Boston is off, so we'll either be up by 2.5 or by 1.5 after tonight.

Jaret Wright vs Rodrigo Lopez. Hoping that Wright can give us 6 innings, as we've got a double-header on Friday, and Proctor (2/3 inning) & Farnsworth (1 inning) were already used on Wednesday.

Torre's definitely going to have to be "creative" with the pen on Thursday and Friday. All hands on deck, no exceptions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                            Two on in the 8th, then Bernie smashes one straight to 2Bman Brian Roberts, who tosses this straight to Miggy Tejada to double up Abreu at 2B. Totally killed a rally with 2 on, 1 out.

Blown chances against Loewen. Rubber match tonight. Hopefully a win. Boston is off, so we'll either be up by 2.5 or by 1.5 after tonight.

Jaret Wright vs Rodrigo Lopez. Hoping that Wright can give us 6 innings, as we've got a double-header on Friday, and Proctor (2/3 inning) & Farnsworth (1 inning) were already used on Wednesday.

Torre's definitely going to have to be "creative" with the pen on Thursday and Friday. All hands on deck, no exceptions.
                            I turned off the radio when Bernie came up. I didn't think I could bear another blown game, especially to a Canadian for the second night in a row (and against the Yankees, of all teams).

Admit it. Bedard and Loewen are better than Mussina and Lidle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik Bedard
                              I turned off the radio when Bernie came up. I didn't think I could bear another blown game, especially to a Canadian for the second night in a row (and against the Yankees, of all teams).

Admit it. Bedard and Loewen are better than Mussina and Lidle.
                              Bedard is a decent lefty but Loewen isn't that good. I will never take Bedard and Loewen over Moose and Lidle.

Comment

• I`m feeling very negative right now with the team but at least we have Dotel back which should prevent Farnsworth from pitching back-to-back days and take some of the load off of Villone and Proctor.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X