The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
    Not to start on this again, but the official scorer at Yankee Stadium has been very kind to A-Rod recently. Over the weekend, there was a ground ball to third that dropped out of his glove, and the OS gave a hit to the batter. Later, A-Rod got a gift hit on a relatively routine grounder to the SS that was flat out mis-played. I didn't see the play yesterday, but Sterling made it sound as if A-Rod dropped the ball. I'm surprised to hear that Jeter got the E.

As far as Abreu is concerned, I think that it's easier to work the count if he doesn't start out 1-2 or 0-2. I think that pitchers know to throw him strikes early in the AB. Watch him this weekend, and see how many times he puts the ball in play with less than 2 strikes. I too like to see people get on base and work the count, but there are times when I would like to see at least the threat of power from the 3 hole.
    A-Rod had it then Jeter knocked his glove out of the way.
    2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Originally posted by rustyray
      Bedard is a decent lefty but Loewen isn't that good. I will never take Bedard and Loewen over Moose and Lidle.
      Bedard is better than decent; he's the third best lefty in the AL! Loewen is great when he's on, but Lidle is a little better... for now. Loewen's only in his early 20's. I'd take Bedard over Mussina, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik Bedard
        Bedard is better than decent; he's the third best lefty in the AL! Loewen is great when he's on, but Lidle is a little better... for now. Loewen's only in his early 20's. I'd take Bedard over Mussina, though.
        Maybe just for youth and contract but you can`t argue that Bedard is a better PLAYER.

Anyway, The Yankees are looking good so far. I think A-Rod feels like it's a home game with a friendly crowd

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
          Maybe just for youth and contract but you can`t argue that Bedard is a better PLAYER.

Anyway, The Yankees are looking good so far. I think A-Rod feels like it's a home game with a friendly crowd
          Have you seen Bedard when he's on? Of course you have; you watched Tuesday's game, right? He beat Mussina head-to-head, but the LaTroy Bleeping Hawkins goes and blows the game. He's behind just Santana and Liriano for best AL lefty.

Comment

Have you seen Bedard when he's on? Of course you have; you watched Tuesday's game, right? He beat Mussina head-to-head, but the LaTroy Bleeping Hawkins goes and blows the game. He's behind just Santana and Liriano for best AL lefty.
            I don`t know about that, remember that 1 run was unearned so they pitched evenly. have you seen the Moose consistently day after day after day? I don`t see Bedard in Cy Young discussion do you?

Comment

I don`t know about that, remember that 1 run was unearned so they pitched evenly. have you seen the Moose consistently day after day after day? I don`t see Bedard in Cy Young discussion do you?
              Yes, actually, he may not be a household name, but he's certainly a top-10 Cy candidate among serious baseball fans. Since he started 5-6 with an ERA above 5 (which can be attributed to the mysterious WBC syndrome), he's gone 7-2 with an ERA around 1.50. That's better than just about any pitcher in baseball, including Mussina, who started hot but has slumped a little.

Comment

• ugh, nothing worse than when an ump totally misses a call and then the other team capitalizes. Today, Wang clearly had strike three on Manny to end the 5th. Wang and Posada were both heading to the dugout, but the ump didn't call it. Next pitch, Manny gets a cheap homerun just inside the pesky pole. I hope the Yanks don't lose this game by a run (or even wrose, lose today by a run, then just miss the playoffs.

Comment

• I think that HR by Manny could've been avoided by IBBing him a 3rd time. Not very popular, but with the ump taking awhile to make the call, could've helped.

Then Hinske gets a GRD in the 6th--his 3rd double in as many ABs--to create 2 RISP, no outs. A sac fly scored one, but an IBB wouldn't have allowed a run at all, as it would've been 1B/2B runners, not 2B/3B runners.
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                  THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                  Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                    ugh, nothing worse than when an ump totally misses a call and then the other team capitalizes. Today, Wang clearly had strike three on Manny to end the 5th. Wang and Posada were both heading to the dugout, but the ump didn't call it. Next pitch, Manny gets a cheap homerun just inside the pesky pole. I hope the Yanks don't lose this game by a run (or even wrose, lose today by a run, then just miss the playoffs.
                    Or even even worse go through a similar scenario as what happened last years only this time favoring Boston. That was very very tough. Magnificent play by Damon to save a run by the way. You don`t see many better than that by a centerfielder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                      I think that HR by Manny could've been avoided by IBBing him a 3rd time. Not very popular, but with the ump taking awhile to make the call, could've helped.

Then Hinske gets a GRD in the 6th--his 3rd double in as many ABs--to create 2 RISP, no outs. A sac fly scored one, but an IBB wouldn't have allowed a run at all, as it would've been 1B/2B runners, not 2B/3B runners.
                      Wang was in a rthym and i domn`t think they wanted to mess him up.

Comment

Yes, actually, he may not be a household name, but he's certainly a top-10 Cy candidate among serious baseball fans. Since he started 5-6 with an ERA above 5 (which can be attributed to the mysterious WBC syndrome), he's gone 7-2 with an ERA around 1.50. That's better than just about any pitcher in baseball, including Mussina, who started hot but has slumped a little.
                        Moose is still doing well, but A-Rod has made a few boots to lead to about 3 runs in some innings. Otherwise in those games, take away the runs scored after the error in that inning only, he was cookin' with gas.
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Wang was in a rthym and i domn`t think they wanted to mess him up.
                          So long as that rhythmn included 2 IBB off Manny--at least one of them turned into an IBB after a 3-ball count on him--I believe that would've been fine.

I believe there'd be more pressure on Wang if he'd just walked Manny than the HR. Of course, it would've been nice to see Manny make an out, but that didn't happen.

Interestingly, Ortiz is being handled nicely by the righty Wang.

Comment

• I just noticed that Phillips is no longer on the roster. Was he DFA'd or doese he still have minor league options (I think he still does)?

EDIT: I just read that he strained a muscle yesterday. So was he put on the DL? The team is now carrying 13 pitchers, and that doesn't include Lidle who is on bereavement leave.
                            Last edited by DoubleX; 08-18-2006, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• GG today, was pretty funny near the end when Seanez stunk so bad they mentioned bringing in a position player to get the last out... how insulting.

I thought the goal was to save the bullpen as much as we could. 0.1 from myers, 1.2 from proctor, and a crummy 1.0 from beam was OK but I was hoping we could narrow that down to only 2 relievers. C-MW was not great but pretty good and was taken out after only 90 pitches? He could have gone another inning IMO and let Myers / Beam fill the gap or Proctor in place of either of those guys.

Oh well, a win is a win, and we still have a fresh Farnsworth and Rivera, as well as Bruney, Dotel, and Villone not worked today.
                              "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

• Originally posted by mikesty
                                GG today, was pretty funny near the end when Seanez stunk so bad they mentioned bringing in a position player to get the last out... how insulting.

I thought the goal was to save the bullpen as much as we could. 0.1 from myers, 1.2 from proctor, and a crummy 1.0 from beam was OK but I was hoping we could narrow that down to only 2 relievers. C-MW was not great but pretty good and was taken out after only 90 pitches? He could have gone another inning IMO and let Myers / Beam fill the gap or Proctor in place of either of those guys.

Oh well, a win is a win, and we still have a fresh Farnsworth and Rivera, as well as Bruney, Dotel, and Villone not worked today.
                                I like our chances tonight. Lesser walks a lot of people and the Yankees walk a lot. I`m predicting a long, long slugfest but Boston's bullpen is in worse shape than ours so I`ll give us the advantage. :gt

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X