No announcement yet.

The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ponson is silly. He's had two strikes so many times and then he gives up a double. He needs to work on a K pitch I guess...
    "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

• Wow, this game is disgusting:
      Bottom 1: 0-0 tie, Ponson blows it
      Bottom 2: 5-1 lead, Ponson makes it 5-4
      Bottom 3: 5-4 lead, Ponson blows it
      Bottom 4: 7-5 lead, Ponson blows it (aided by Villone)

YUCK!!!
      Me, at a Boston restaurant, to a waiter:
      Are you sure the Manny Ramirez (name of burger) isn't a sloppy joe?

Comment

• I'm not sure how this game will turn out, but it doesn't look good. I was going to write this game off due to the Ponson start, but I thought for a brief moment that the Yanks had a chance to steal this one. However, the bullpen clearly was not up to the task, and I lay that at the feet of Mr. Wright, who couldn't eat any innings yesterday, forcing the bullpen to work. I thought that Villone's arm was going to fall off in the 5th. It's unfortunate, but the schedule certainly worked in the Red Sox favor by giving them a day off right before a double-header in a key five game series.

Wait a second - ignore that first sentence. I guess I'll keep my mouth shut until the end of the game.
        Last edited by SD Bomber Fan; 08-18-2006, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• OK so we still have 8th and 9th to pitch and we've got Dotel and Rivera left. I think Proctor can MAYBE get one batter, MAYBE, then bring in dotel and if it gets crummy then go to mo. What a nightmare.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikesty
            OK so we still have 8th and 9th to pitch and we've got Dotel and Rivera left. I think Proctor can MAYBE get one batter, MAYBE, then bring in dotel and if it gets crummy then go to mo. What a nightmare.
            No way do you trust the 8th inning to Dotel. Proctor came in for 1 batter in the 7th, did his job. I'm still wondering why Farnsworth, our setup who didn't work in Game 1, only pitched to 1 batter.

I'd ride Proctor's wave for all of the 8th. If we can have no more than 1 run allowed, then Mo can work his magic. I'd like to see Boston get 3+ runs off of him.

Damon's on fire, but Jeter, despite a very critical bases-clearing double in the 7th, is only 1-for-6 today.

Damon, Jeter and Cano have 3 RBI. Rodriguez and Cabrera have 2 apiece.

We'll have the low-scoring games on Sat, Sun & Mon. Until then, I want this win *BADLY*. No use giving them a chance to go in with even odds. Make 'em nervous going into Game 3.

I'm so glad that the scrub pitchers were all pitching today. If we needed lots of runs to score, then we did just that. We got to their pitchers moreso than they did to ours. The offenses are about equal.

8th inning over, and if we tack on another run, they'll be down by 5, not 4. Dangerous still, as Loretta, we've got Ortiz & Manny up. I don't ever want to see Loretta on base. That could be the start of trouble.
            Last edited by Mattingly; 08-18-2006, 09:21 PM.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Ortiz once again proving himself to be highly dangerous in knocking one into the RF seats off Mo. Our best vs their best (well, this side of Manny, anyway) and theirs wins. Still ...

Ballgame over, Yankees win. THUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Yankees winnnnnnnnnnnn!

Start spreadin' the news!
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Quite an insane win. Everyone needs a good night's sleep for goodness' sake.

Watch us drop the next three :-O

Comment

Quite an insane win. Everyone needs a good night's sleep for goodness' sake.

I have more faith in winning against Beckett than Schilling. If we can squeak away with a win or two, I'll be more than happy.

I'd love to say we can get Boomer, but anytime I think he's done, he comes back and pitches very well. He's like the Energizer bunny. Big-framed guy you'd never think would last this long at this age, but he just keeps taking the hill and doing the job.

Look for low-scoring games on Sat/Sun. Both because we've got better pitchers and both teams are pooped. We've outscored 'em 26-14 and still need to show up tomorrow.

Damon is the only guy who homered in both games, and the only Yankee to homer at all today. Manny hit one out in Game 1; Ortiz in Game 2. Unfortunately, Saturday's game will be exhaustingly tough, as it's a matinee in just under 12 hours from now: 1:20pm ET. I can see replacements being made after the 7th inning. Perhaps giving Alex Rodriguez a little rest to avoid any errors may help.

Hopefully, the good Randy will show up and be quite Dandy. With Saturday's being a must-win for both teams, I'd say that winning this would be a big chance for Boston or a dagger to their heart of they were to lose 3 straight at home to the Yanks. I can only hope for Randy's back to hold up, go 6-7 innings and give our pen a chance. Hopefully, the errors can be put to a minimum.
                  Last edited by Mattingly; 08-18-2006, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• That 2nd game was nutty. Longest doubleheader, ever. Ponson is just plain scary. Mo has been giving up one hit per inning on a regular basis, and the one today would have really hurt if anyone had been on base. Still, a win.

Comment

• Yanks' offense full speed in marathon sweep of BoSox
                      BOSTON (AP) -- The New York Yankees had to work extra long to extend their lead in the AL East.

The Yankees beat the Boston Red Sox 14-11 to complete a sweep of Friday's day-night doubleheader and give New York a season-high 3½-game lead in the division. At 4 hours, 45 minutes, the nightcap was the longest nine-inning game in major-league history, and it came on top of a relatively speedy 3:55 afternoon contest.

"We kept looking up and it kept being the fourth inning. It was nuts," Yankees manager Joe Torre said. "I'm proud of it, especially in this ballpark, where every game seems like it's the longest game in history."

The teams combined for 41 runs and 61 hits. Twenty pitchers -- that's counting Mike Myers and Scott Proctor twice -- threw 783 pitches. In all, the teams played 8:40 minutes of baseball, from Jason Johnson's first pitch at 1:10 p.m. until Mariano Rivera covered first to retire Wily Mo Pena at 12:52 a.m.

Comment

Quite an insane win. Everyone needs a good night's sleep for goodness' sake.

You sound like me... Keep the faith man :noidea .

WOW. That was a nice batting practice... 12-4 and 14-11.

I must admit that after the series against Baltimore, I didn't expect this to happen. When the Yanks blew a two run lead in the second game, I thought: "They won't get over it". But they showed a tremendous lot of flexibility.

If we lose the next three, we are still in the lead then. :gt
                        Last edited by Yankeebiscuitfan; 08-19-2006, 01:21 AM.

Comment

• I think in the second game we saw flashes of what the Yankees muight have been going into ST ya' know. Everyone (except me) was calling the pitching staff horrible and with Matsui and Sheffield the offense was just supposed to clobber the opponents to death. I prefer what it actually is. We need to treat this like any 3 game series now and try to take 2/3 or sweep 3/3. I`d say I feel more comfortable with Unit-Beckett than either of the others which seem to be evenly matched. However, Boston has a weaker bullpen and that could cost them Mussina Schilling and Lidle Wells is pretty even as well. So a sweep is poretty feasible
                          2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                            I think in the second game we saw flashes of what the Yankees muight have been going into ST ya' know. Everyone (except me) was calling the pitching staff horrible and with Matsui and Sheffield the offense was just supposed to clobber the opponents to death. I prefer what it actually is. We need to treat this like any 3 game series now and try to take 2/3 or sweep 3/3. I`d say I feel more comfortable with Unit-Beckett than either of the others which seem to be evenly matched. However, Boston has a weaker bullpen and that could cost them Mussina Schilling and Lidle Wells is pretty even as well. So a sweep is poretty feasible
                            Well, maybe the bullpen did a good job today, but Ponson $*&@#d big time.

So did Jared Wright vs the Orioles. So that part of the pitching staff IS horrible. (just my two cents).

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
                              Well, maybe the bullpen did a good job today, but Ponson $*&@#d big time.

So did Jared Wright vs the Orioles. So that part of the pitching staff IS horrible. (just my two cents).
                              I think the team has to cut Ponson. They really cannot justify sending him out there in any situation. They'd be much better served calling someone up.

Comment

• The only saving grace for us is that Torre kept Wang in between Wright and Ponson. If not, we'd need 14 pitches, not just a "mere" 13. Can you imagine Wright and Ponson pitching both halves of a DH? Ugh!

Yeah, Ponson's gotta go. I may give him some time in the minors to see if he can do something, but he's definitely not ready for prime time and would both be a serious distraction this season, as well as denying a spot to a young call-up.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X