No announcement yet.

The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jorge hits a triple?! Couldn't believe it when I saw the story. He's maybe the slowest runner in baseball who's not named David Ortiz. Randy only gave up a few hits, but walked at least a half-dozen, which hurt. Still, another it's another W. And Wright was okay out of the pen. I can't imagine what the mood must have been like inside Fenway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pinstripe Pride
      What a series so far. 39 runs, 44 hits!

Today the Yankees became the first team in history to score 12 or more runs against the Sox at Fenway Park in 3 straight games. Why stop?
      From our point of view it is nice. But what the heck is wrong with Boston. It seems that they forget how to hit, how to pitch. Not good for baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
        From our point of view it is nice. But what the heck is wrong with Boston. It seems that they forget how to hit, how to pitch. Not good for baseball.
        I don't think it's their forgetting to learn how to hit. From my perspective, they're used to 3-game series against us. Who's expecting a 5-game series, especially one played in 4 days?

Therefore, the weaker elements are hidden away per my "all hands on deck" thinking. In normal circumstances, we'd see Schilling, Wakefield and either Boomer, Clement or Beckett. Of those, Wake is on the DL, as is Clement, and Beckett simply hasn't been very good his past few starts. I'd only count Schilling and Boomer amongst those still on their game.

As to their offense, I think that the Yanks capitalized upon the weaker pitchers in the first 3 games. It's like how the Yanks can feast on KC pitching, but the better teams will have stoppers. In a 5-game series, all of a team's weaker elements are exposed. Everyone must play, even the weaker players.

We've faced their 3 least effective pitchers so far. I don't expect the Yanks to score 10+ runs off either Schilling or Wells.

As to the Boston offense, I believe that our bullpen strength showed up this weekend. Despite a very poor Sidney Ponson performance on Friday, our bullpen managed patch together a very nice performance, likely anchored by the highly overworked Scott Proctor. I believe that "good pitching beats good hitting" managed to work in our favor.

I still wasn't so sure that our 5-run lead after the top of the 8th was safe. After all, they're home, have the crowd behind them, and Proctor wasn't coming out (it was his "throw day", which is why he was in the pen). Farnsworth got hurt on a comebacker hitting him. If they scored 3 runs, Mo would have to deal with the momentum going their way in the 9th. However, after Posada's 3-run triple, I believe that some air may have left their tire, so to speak. When you're 8 runs back, only 6 outs left, that's pretty hard to come back from, even if against Jaret "5 innings" Wright and TJ Beam.

If Boston improves their bullpen, gets a rotation that isn't on the DL as often, I believe they can win a lot more games. Right now, I believe that they're hurting by their FO's decision not to make a big splash this July 31st.

Let's see if we can get a 4-2 win on Sunday and Monday.
        Last edited by Mattingly; 08-20-2006, 01:47 AM.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
          I don't think it's their forgetting to learn how to hit. From my perspective, they're used to 3-game series against us. Who's expecting a 5-game series, especially one played in 4 days?

Therefore, the weaker elements are hidden away per my "all hands on deck" thinking. In normal circumstances, we'd see Schilling, Wakefield and either Boomer, Clement or Beckett. Of those, Wake is on the DL, as is Clement, and Beckett simply hasn't been very good his past few starts. I'd only count Schilling and Boomer amongst those still on their game.

As to their offense, I think that the Yanks capitalized upon the weaker pitchers in the first 3 games. It's like how the Yanks can feast on KC pitching, but the better teams will have stoppers. In a 5-game series, all of a team's weaker elements are exposed. Everyone must play, even the weaker players.

We've faced their 3 least effective pitchers so far. I don't expect the Yanks to score 10+ runs off either Schilling or Wells.

As to the Boston offense, I believe that our bullpen strength showed up this weekend. Despite a very poor Sidney Ponson performance on Friday, our bullpen managed patch together a very nice performance, likely anchored by the highly overworked Scott Proctor. I believe that "good pitching beats good hitting" managed to work in our favor.

I still wasn't so sure that our 5-run lead after the top of the 8th was safe. After all, they're home, have the crowd behind them, and Proctor wasn't coming out (it was his "throw day", which is why he was in the pen). Farnsworth got hurt on a comebacker hitting him. If they scored 3 runs, Mo would have to deal with the momentum going their way in the 9th. However, after Posada's 3-run triple, I believe that some air may have left their tire, so to speak. When you're 8 runs back, only 6 outs left, that's pretty hard to come back from, even if against Jaret "5 innings" Wright and TJ Beam.

If Boston improves their bullpen, gets a rotation that isn't on the DL as often, I believe they can win a lot more games. Right now, I believe that they're hurting by their FO's decision not to make a big splash this July 31st.

Let's see if we can get a 4-2 win on Sunday and Monday.
          6-3 Yanks today is my prediction, I haven`t been wrong yet this series I figure that Schilling will do great but the bullpen will let it get away and Mussina will do wells as well and our bullpen had a "day off" yesterday (Using only a starter and Beam, hardly pitchers to be used in a 1 run game.
          2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
            6-3 Yanks today is my prediction, I haven`t been wrong yet this series I figure that Schilling will do great but the bullpen will let it get away and Mussina will do wells as well and our bullpen had a "day off" yesterday (Using only a starter and Beam, hardly pitchers to be used in a 1 run game.
            Schilling surprised me in his last start. Losing to KC 5-4? Let's look at the tale of the tape (game log):

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=2112
            • 7/20 vs TEX @ home: 7.0 IP, 10 H, 4 ER;
            • 7/25 @ OAK: 6.0 IP, 6 H, 4 ER;
            • 7/30 vs LAA @ home: 5.0 IP, 10 H, 6 ER;
            • 8/4 @ TB: 7.0 IP, 9 H, 2 ER;
            • 8/10 @ KC: 7.1 IP, 11 H, 5 ER;
            • 8/15 vs DET @ home: 7.0 IP, 9 H, 2 ER

I'm seeing Schilling as being inconsistent. He's had very good starts like the 7-inning, 2 ER ones, and so-so starts. I'd say the 7/30 game was his worst recently. Still, he's always been able to "bring it" vs the Yanks. Can he do this again with the Yanks having the momentum in their favor? Who knows.

With greater patience, as highlighted by the addition of Bobby Abreu, could do well for all the Yanks. It's a 2-way street, and sometimes players' worst enemies are themselves. It takes an intelligent and worthy opponent to both recognize and exploit these weaknesses to their best advantage.

I believe that's how the ballgame will be won. Hopefully, by the EVIL YANKEES!

As to Moose, if Alex can thankfully not make an errors which lead to several runs in that inning, I believe we've got a very good chance. Give Boston an extra 2-3 runs and you're immediately in trouble, with your back to the wall.
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Schilling surprised me in his last start. Losing to KC 5-4? Let's look at the tale of the tape (game log):

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=2112
              • 7/20 vs TEX @ home: 7.0 IP, 10 H, 4 ER;
              • 7/25 @ OAK: 6.0 IP, 6 H, 4 ER;
              • 7/30 vs LAA @ home: 5.0 IP, 10 H, 6 ER;
              • 8/4 @ TB: 7.0 IP, 9 H, 2 ER;
              • 8/10 @ KC: 7.1 IP, 11 H, 5 ER;
              • 8/15 vs DET @ home: 7.0 IP, 9 H, 2 ER

I'm seeing Schilling as being inconsistent. He's had very good starts like the 7-inning, 2 ER ones, and so-so starts. I'd say the 7/30 game was his worst recently. Still, he's always been able to "bring it" vs the Yanks. Can he do this again with the Yanks having the momentum in their favor? Who knows.

With greater patience, as highlighted by the addition of Bobby Abreu, could do well for all the Yanks. It's a 2-way street, and sometimes players' worst enemies are themselves. It takes an intelligent and worthy opponent to both recognize and exploit these weaknesses to their best advantage.

I believe that's how the ballgame will be won. Hopefully, by the EVIL YANKEES!

As to Moose, if Alex can thankfully not make an errors which lead to several runs in that inning, I believe we've got a very good chance. Give Boston an extra 2-3 runs and you're immediately in trouble, with your back to the wall.
              Schilling has been pushed farther than he should be inning wise because of the weakness of Boston's middle relief. This has inflated his ERA as well.

Comment

Schilling has been pushed farther than he should be inning wise because of the weakness of Boston's middle relief. This has inflated his ERA as well.
                When Torre had no pen, he had to get 7-8 innings out of his starters. Many starters aren't designed for that. give them 7 innings. If you give them 8 once, be kind to them and let them do only 6 the next time. I believe it all evens itself out.

If you give someone the ball, he doesn't do his job, all a manager can be asked to do is call someone else in. Either that or a mound visit to inspire him somewhat, that "we need this game", "can you pick it up this inning?" etc. He still fails, he has to pick someone else. So on & so forth.

Also, when you ask a starter to do too much, it means he's gotta be almost perfect. The less "wiggle room" for error, the more he's likely to overthink and perhaps fail. Curt's an excellent pitcher, don't get me wrong. However, after 3 straight games with 12+ runs scored, I believe their pen is cooked.

Mo is available today, as is Papelbon. I still think it'll be relatively low-scoring. Be it 4-2 or 6-3 as you've said, I don't think there will be 25 runs scored in today's game.

Comment

When Torre had no pen, he had to get 7-8 innings out of his starters. Many starters aren't designed for that. give them 7 innings. If you give them 8 once, be kind to them and let them do only 6 the next time. I believe it all evens itself out.

If you give someone the ball, he doesn't do his job, all a manager can be asked to do is call someone else in. Either that or a mound visit to inspire him somewhat, that "we need this game", "can you pick it up this inning?" etc. He still fails, he has to pick someone else. So on & so forth.

Also, when you ask a starter to do too much, it means he's gotta be almost perfect. The less "wiggle room" for error, the more he's likely to overthink and perhaps fail. Curt's an excellent pitcher, don't get me wrong. However, after 3 straight games with 12+ runs scored, I believe their pen is cooked.

Mo is available today, as is Papelbon. I still think it'll be relatively low-scoring. Be it 4-2 or 6-3 as you've said, I don't think there will be 25 runs scored in today's game.
                  Allow me to preach about the key to winning today, PLATE DISCILPLINCE!!!!!!! If we can push Schilling up to 90-100 pitches after 6 innings and Mussina can go 5-6 low-scoring innings we have a fantastic chance of winning today considering the two bullpens.

Comment

Allow me to preach about the key to winning today, PLATE DISCILPLINCE!!!!!!! If we can push Schilling up to 90-100 pitches after 6 innings and Mussina can go 5-6 low-scoring innings we have a fantastic chance of winning today considering the two bullpens.
                    We can't expect to keep blowing them out by 10 runs a game (although it would be nice).

Personally, I don't see us getting walks against Schilling. He's a guy who doesn't walk anybody. He's had seasons with 30 walks the entire year. He's not someone who loses his control in the middle of a game. That doesn't mean we're going to lose (Schilling isn't the pitcher he once was), but I think it'll be low scoring too.

Comment

• This has been a great series so far. I didn't expect the Yanks to win all the high scoring games. I knew that a lot of runs were gonna be scored but didn't think that the Yanks would all of them. Damon has been leading off all the games thus far with hits and igniting the offense.
                      The turning point of this series might be the 7th inning of the second game when the Yanks were losing and Torre decided to use Giambi and then Posada and before you know it, the Captain lines a bases clearing double down the right field line to take the lead.
                      Bruney in his brief stint looked good.

Comment

• Originally posted by ssbguyincognito
                        We can't expect to keep blowing them out by 10 runs a game (although it would be nice).

Personally, I don't see us getting walks against Schilling. He's a guy who doesn't walk anybody. He's had seasons with 30 walks the entire year. He's not someone who loses his control in the middle of a game. That doesn't mean we're going to lose (Schilling isn't the pitcher he once was), but I think it'll be low scoring too.
                        They need to foul of pitchs and have 5 pitch K's if K's are neccasary. if you catch my drift

Comment

• Well, New York is down 2-0 after 2, but they are making Boston work (Mussina has 22 pitches, Schilling 41). The only two ABs less than five pitchers were a 2 pitch double (Giambi), and a 3 pitch groundout (Cano). Despite the deficit, the game is still looking good.

Ugh, rain delay.
                          Me, at a Boston restaurant, to a waiter:
                          Are you sure the Manny Ramirez (name of burger) isn't a sloppy joe?

Comment

• Come to think of it, wasn't Mussina yankes earlier this season after a rain delay, while throwing a perfect game (4IP, I think)?
                            Me, at a Boston restaurant, to a waiter:
                            Are you sure the Manny Ramirez (name of burger) isn't a sloppy joe?

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankees
                              Come to think of it, wasn't Mussina yankes earlier this season after a rain delay, while throwing a perfect game (4IP, I think)?
                              Nah no hitter after a Cairo error but he robbed two hits so he was +1 ... I think.
                              "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

• Top of 4th, Yankees up 3-2

Giambi just CRUSHED a 3-run HR (35th). Schilling up to 73 pitches. Let's get to that bullpen.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X