The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by runningshoes
    You'll have to put up with me for six more days.

I don't make the rules, I just make them.
    You know, Boston looked pretty pitiful this series don`t you agree. I`d have to say that a Yankees-Dodgers WS with the Yankees winning in 6 is the most likely event, right? C`mon say it. You know you want to........
    2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• If we do face the Dodgers, it'd be a Yankee sweep. They're 8 games over 500 in a really crappy league in a really crappy divisioin. In any AL division, they'd be in 3rd place. Also, do you think any of their pitchers can face our deep 1-9 lineup?

I'm much more concerned getting to the WS. Whatever AL team gets there is going to sweep.

Comment

• Lidle looked good today. Pavano has supposedly been strong in his rehab outings and could be just a couple of weeks away. If he comes back, who gets the rotation boot? I think it has to be Wright at this point.

Comment

• I figure if that happens, Wright goes to the pen. But they've taken their time with Pavano (and others), they're 6-1/2 up without them, so what's the rush? Let them all heal in their own good time, and don't diss the guys that brought you to the party when it gets time to dance. IMO, there is NO reason to put Pavano or any other player at risk for next year by doing something unnecessary (read, dumb) now. Cashman has been brilliant in protecting his investments and I think he wants to rebuild the dynasty. At least, that's what I hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by sandlot
            I figure if that happens, Wright goes to the pen. But they've taken their time with Pavano (and others), they're 6-1/2 up without them, so what's the rush? Let them all heal in their own good time, and don't diss the guys that brought you to the party when it gets time to dance. IMO, there is NO reason to put Pavano or any other player at risk for next year by doing something unnecessary (read, dumb) now. Cashman has been brilliant in protecting his investments and I think he wants to rebuild the dynasty. At least, that's what I hope.
            The thing with Pavano is that the team will want to know if he'll be able to contribute in the postseason, and if so, to what degree. Pavano has looked pretty good in his latest rehab appearances, and if he can stay healthy (which is a big if), he could be a big boost to the staff come postseason time. Pavano is certainly not a top flight starter like the Yankees paid for, but when healthy, he can be a pretty dependable starter that can give you 6 or 7 good innings and keep you in the game. The key is staying healthy.

Right now, Lidle is looking like the 4th guy in the rotation for the postseason (assuming we get there). And right now, I'm pretty ok with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
              Lidle looked good today. Pavano has supposedly been strong in his rehab outings and could be just a couple of weeks away. If he comes back, who gets the rotation boot? I think it has to be Wright at this point.
              Current rotation:

Moose
              Wang
              Johnson
              Lidle
              Wright

I think that Wright is already set for the pen. However, can we depend upon Pavano if/when the Yanks reach the playoffs? How do you know that Pavano will even be any better than Wright? Or even better than Ponson for that matter? How many innings can he give us? Against which team?

I'd definitely need to see Pavano give us 3 starts before I can say he's ready. We've got two relatively "easy" teams left in September and that's KC & TB. After that, there's the O's, who took 2 of 3 from us last time. If he can face all of those w/o pitching against a contender, I may be enthused. I wouldn't pitch him in the 4 games in 3 days from Sep 16-18 at YS-II.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/schedule?team=nyy
              Originally posted by runningshoes
              You'll have to put up with me for six more days.

I don't make the rules, I just make them.
              6 more days? That's it, you lost a bet and the Beantowners made you walk the plank, so now you're over here. Oh geez, nothing worse than a fake Yankee fan. Hey, at least you're fun to deal with. However, for a 5-game sweep, I would think it would be at least 3 weeks.

Let's see if there are any potatoes to be peeled or dishes to be washed. May as well make yourself useful in the meanwhile.
              Last edited by Mattingly; 08-22-2006, 02:11 AM.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                Current rotation:

Moose
                Wang
                Johnson
                Lidle
                Wright

I think that Wright is already set for the pen. However, can we depend upon Pavano if/when the Yanks reach the playoffs? How do you know that Pavano will even be any better than Wright? Or even better than Ponson for that matter? How many innings can he give us? Against which team?

I'd definitely need to see Pavano give us 3 starts before I can say he's ready. We've got two relatively "easy" teams left in September and that's KC & TB. After that, there's the O's, who took 2 of 3 from us last time. If he can face all of those w/o pitching against a contender, I may be enthused. I wouldn't pitch him in the 4 games in 3 days from Sep 16-18 at YS-II.
                Actually Mussina will mis a start so insert Jeff Carstens and take out Mussina.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                  Actually Mussina will mis a start so insert Jeff Carstens and take out Mussina.
                  Jeff Karstens a AAA rookie with an 4.28 ERA at Columbus...

Do the Yanks want to let the 6.5 game lead disappear in no time?

Of course we don't know how this will pan out, but I would not take the risk of letting the Red Sox come close again. When a play off spot is clinched, Torre can experiment with rookies. Now it is too soon. IMO a 4.28 ERA is not that impressive.

Just my two cents.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
                    Jeff Karstens a AAA rookie with an 4.28 ERA at Columbus...

Do the Yanks want to let the 6.5 game lead disappear in no time?

Of course we don't know how this will pan out, but I would not take the risk of letting the Red Sox come close again. When a play off spot is clinched, Torre can experiment with rookies. Now it is too soon. IMO a 4.28 ERA is not that impressive.

Just my two cents.
                    Consider what the alternative could have been - Sidney Ponson. Karstens is actually better than his AAA numbers indicate. He struggled pretty badly early in the season at AAA, he was demoted where he was great, and then promoted back to AAA where he kept it going well. So that 4.28 is really a composite of his two stints, and not reflective of what he's been doing lately. I'd much rather see a rookie given a shot then someone like Ponson trotted out there again.

Comment

Consider what the alternative could have been - Sidney Ponson. Karstens is actually better than his AAA numbers indicate. He struggled pretty badly early in the season at AAA, he was demoted where he was great, and then promoted back to AAA where he kept it going well. So that 4.28 is really a composite of his two stints, and not reflective of what he's been doing lately. I'd much rather see a rookie given a shot then someone like Ponson trotted out there again.
                      Didn't think about Ponson... I guess you are right.

Comment

Since ERA is not a great stat I very rarely trust it especially in the minors. Unfortuantely I don`t see anything else available. I can`t get the minor league stats since he qwas called up either. i guess he must have a great K/BB Ratio or something else like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
                          Didn't think about Ponson... I guess you are right.
                          Well, we could give Mr. 10-0 another shot...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                            Since ERA is not a great stat I very rarely trust it especially in the minors. Unfortuantely I don`t see anything else available. I can`t get the minor league stats since he qwas called up either. i guess he must have a great K/BB Ratio or something else like that.
                            Where are you getting this "ERA is not a great stat" thing from? That's at least the second time you've said that. I can see why it can be unreliable for relief pitchers, but for starting pitchers, it is a very good stat. Sure, it doesn't really reflect things such as team defense and ballpark, but at least we have ERA+ to cure the ballpark aspect. Besides, the impact that defense and ballpark have is fairly negligible in the grand scheme of things. A good pitcher will almost always have a good ERA and a bad pitcher will almost always have a bad ERA - ballparks and team defense aren't really going to effect that much. A pitcher has to make his pitches, and if he does that, he'll be fine, irrespective of ballpark and defense. If he doesn't make his pitches, he'll generally get hit, and ERA reflects this. If we're going to say that ERA is unreliable because of external factors, then just about all statistics can be deemed unreliable. Offensive production, in almost all statistical measures, will be affected by ballpark as well as the lineup. By lineup, I mean that a pitcher might pitch to a batter differently, particularly a dangerous batter, depending on the lineup protection. Really, in the grand scheme of things, I believe ERA to be one of the best and most indicative of the traditional statistics.

EDIT: I've created a thread in the Statistics Forum to discuss this topic as I wanted to get the input from other members, especially those who are more into statistics than I am. So feel free to respond there.
                            Last edited by DoubleX; 08-22-2006, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• Where are you getting this "ERA is not a great stat" thing from? That's at least the second time you've said that. I can see why it can be unreliable for relief pitchers, but for starting pitchers, it is a very good stat.
                              It's actually not a good stat. It suffers from a lot of the problems that batting average does:

1. When you compare two player's ERA's, the difference between them must be very large to conclude anything. For example, player A with an era of 3.4 and player B with an era of 3.7. There's no way to tell who's better. Just like a player who bats 275 and a player who bats 290. Now if someone's era is 3.7 and someone else's is 5.1, then yeah, it's obvious.

2. A single player's ERA must be either way above the mean or way below the mean to tell you anything about how good he is. Once again, say the average ERA is 4 (it probably sint this low). If player A's era is 3.7 or 4.3, that doesn't tell you if he's better or worse than average. Now if a guy's era is 2.9, then he's good, and if his era is 5, he's bad. But for the range where most starters are, say 3.5 to 4.5, the era doesn't tell you how good that player is.

3. ERA is a very sensitive stat. Say a pitcher's era is 4. It can easily go to 4.5 with a bad start or 3.6 with a good start. SO one start can change a person's ERA easily, which makes it not a good stat.

I'm not saying ERA is a horrible stat, but like batting average, it must always be supplemented with other stats to provide meaningful info. I like to look at ERA, WHIP, K/9, BB/9, and K/BB.

Comment

• After just one inning, Karstens is already discovering the difference between AAA and the bigs. It's 2-0 Seattle and Baek has the Yanks swinging at stuff a half-foot out of the zone.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X