The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ssbguyincognito
    It's actually not a good stat. It suffers from a lot of the problems that batting average does:

1. When you compare two player's ERA's, the difference between them must be very large to conclude anything. For example, player A with an era of 3.4 and player B with an era of 3.7. There's no way to tell who's better. Just like a player who bats 275 and a player who bats 290. Now if someone's era is 3.7 and someone else's is 5.1, then yeah, it's obvious.

2. A single player's ERA must be either way above the mean or way below the mean to tell you anything about how good he is. Once again, say the average ERA is 4 (it probably sint this low). If player A's era is 3.7 or 4.3, that doesn't tell you if he's better or worse than average. Now if a guy's era is 2.9, then he's good, and if his era is 5, he's bad. But for the range where most starters are, say 3.5 to 4.5, the era doesn't tell you how good that player is.

3. ERA is a very sensitive stat. Say a pitcher's era is 4. It can easily go to 4.5 with a bad start or 3.6 with a good start. SO one start can change a person's ERA easily, which makes it not a good stat.

I'm not saying ERA is a horrible stat, but like batting average, it must always be supplemented with other stats to provide meaningful info. I like to look at ERA, WHIP, K/9, BB/9, and K/BB.
    See my response in the Stats forum. I don't want to get too sidetracked here.

Comment

• Ugh. Bases loaded, 7th inning. Posada first pitch dp. Nothing more frustrating.

It's now 5-4, as Wright lost the strike zone.

Comment

• Whoops.

Oh well, we'll take our lumps. Alright performance by Kartsens I guess, but I wasn't able to see the TV and really evaluate him well. How was that nasty curve he has? 91 pitches is OK, so technically he outdueled Baek!

It's a shame Wright/Villone weren't so sharp, I think VillOWN needs some serious rest because he's been kinda crummy lately.

What happened with Meyers by the way?
        "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

• Someone tell me why Torre keeps troting Wright out there?

I said it once and I'll say it again...Wright cannot be a MRP because he just cannot be trusted in those situations.

Should took advantage of that BoSox lost.

Jesus...we need it to be September already so that Joe could call up another 4-5 pitchers so that Proctor and Villone could rest.
          Bring up Veras, JB Cox, Beam please...I want to see more of these 3.
          Last edited by TonyStarks; 08-22-2006, 10:26 PM.
          "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Perhaps we should use Wright for mopup duty in the future. His 2 ER made the difference in this game. Boston lost but we failed to capitalize on this.

I wanted to see Mo in the 9th, as he didn't pitch on Monday.

Beltre hit his 2nd HR in the 9th, so we lost. Still 6.5 games up, but that lead could dwindle any minute if we don't start winning.

Replacing Giambi with Craig Wilson in the 6th was a roll of the dice which didn't work. In the 9th, we could've used his bat. Though Aaron Guiel as a PHer, drew a huge walk, A-Rod struck out, so if Giambi had even singled, Jeter may have gone to 3B.

The fewer losses to Seattle, the better Wang gets a chance to correct himself vs Pineiro on Wednesday.
            Originally posted by TonyStarks
            Someone tell me why Torre keeps troting Wright out there?

I said it once and I'll say it again...Wright cannot be a MRP because he just cannot be trusted in those situations.

Should took advantage of that BoSox lost.

Jesus...we need it to be September already so that Joe could call up another 4-5 pitchers so that Proctor and Villone could rest.
            Bring up Veras, JB Cox, Beam please...I want to see more of these 3.
            Likely to replace Tanyon Sturtze. That "failed starter/2-inning or longman" thing seems extremely enticing. However, I believe it was the wrong situation. If he fails in the 10th or 11th, I'll accept that. But not in the 7th.

The bus ride to/from Columbus has been running all night, it's likely got a schedule by now and seems to be reliable.

Villone is trusted, Myers can get out a tough lefty (fanned Ortiz on Monday on 3 pitches), and Proctor should be available on Thursday. He needs some rest. Let's not lose too many games to Seattle, which would offset the high spirits from this weekend.
            Last edited by Mattingly; 08-22-2006, 11:18 PM.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by ssbguyincognito
              Ugh. Bases loaded, 7th inning. Posada first pitch dp. Nothing more frustrating.

It's now 5-4, as Wright lost the strike zone.
              This after the pitcher apparently couldn't find the plate. Why do our boys insisting upon helping opposing pitchers? They should hire our hitters as pitch coaches the way we help them solve all of their issues, including lack of confidence.

Hopefully, the "let them come to you" re throwing a strike can be seen sometime soon.
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                This after the pitcher apparently couldn't find the plate. Why do our boys insisting upon helping opposing pitchers? They should hire our hitters as pitch coaches the way we help them solve all of their issues, including lack of confidence.

Hopefully, the "let them come to you" re throwing a strike can be seen sometime soon.
                I actually thought that since the Yanks got Abreu, they have shown more patience @ the plate.
                But of course, those Jeter, Posada, ARod, and Bernie ONE pitch ABs are beyond annoying!
                Last edited by TonyStarks; 08-23-2006, 06:18 AM.
                "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Originally posted by mikesty
                  What happened with Meyers by the way?
                  From watching the game, it appeared the Myers was just brought in to walk a guy that already had 2 balls on him. I didn't at all understand the logic in it. The announcers made it seem like Torre did not want to put Karstens in a situation where he could lose the game; so I guess the logic with that was that if Myers walked the guy, the runner would be charged to Myers and not Karstens. Yet, Gameday on MLB.com charged the runner to Karstens anyway, so I really don't understand what the point was to bring in Myers to intentionally walk a guy that already had two balls on him. Might as well have let Karstens finish the job and then bring in Wright.

The only other thing I can think of is that Wright needed extra time to warm up, because he is a starter, and bringing in Myers and then taking him out produced enough extra time for Wright.

Karstens, overall, didn't look too bad. Certainly a stepup from Ponson. I'd give him another shot if the opportunity arises.

Comment

• why was Wright used anyway?
                    2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                      why was Wright used anyway?
                      It was suppose to be Wright's turn through the rotation but they decided to push him back to Moose's spot on Friday. Moose would get the extra rest.

Comment

• Originally posted by rustyray
                        It was suppose to be Wright's turn through the rotation but they decided to push him back to Moose's spot on Friday. Moose would get the extra rest.
                        So the thinking their is that they want to forfeit the game in the middle of a pennant race to give Wright some work????!!!! His worst innings are his early ones. That's just plain stupid
                        2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyStarks
                          I actually thought that since the Yanks got Abreu, they have shown more patience @ the plate.
                          But of course, those Jeter, Posada, ARod, and Bernie ONE pitch ABs are beyond annoying!
                          My logic is highly flawed also. You see, I'd mistakenly thought that when a guy higher in the lineup has some great ABs, it's like a clinic right in front of you. One of the guys in your dugout and wearing your team uni is taking it to a full count often. Single, double, strikeout, walk, whatever, he's being patient.

My flaw was thinking that guys lower in the lineup would see this and use it as an example. Apparently, guys lower in the lineup weren't watching. Now we need guys to use this as an example and have longer ABs.

We've been beaten by hi-ERA pitchers because of impatience. The earlier they exit, the weaker the guy in the pen we face following him. Out after 5+, mid-relief. Out after 6, best mid-reliever. Out after 7, setup man. Out after 8, closer. It's that simple. Guys don't see to understand that simple logic. You'd think that someone who's never played the game wouldn't be the one who catches the logic, but our guys aren't catching onto this. That's pretty bad to me.

Comment

• I think we're also missing the bigger point. Any game in which Bernie Williams starts at any position is a game we should lose. He is soooooo bad. Right now he's 277/325/424. The batting average isn't bad, but the low OBP and no power really hurts us. I think it's time we let him go. We have other players who can play any position he does, and we have Aaron Guiel and Craig Wilson, both of who are better than him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                              So the thinking their is that they want to forfeit the game in the middle of a pennant race to give Wright some work????!!!! His worst innings are his early ones. That's just plain stupid
                              And that's why Wright cannot be a MRP!
                              The guy has trouble his FIRST time through a lineup.

I'm sorry, but if I'm a MGR I'm not gonna bring in Wright in a tight/close game.
                              No way I do that, he'd be my designated Mop up guy.

The man cannot hold a lead if you spotted 7 runs.

Comment

• Time to relax, guys. Any time you are in the lead and take a game off the schedule and the lead remains the same, is a good thing. Not great, but OK. It was a good chance to rest a bullpen that needed rest. Last night's game was a chance to do that and the fact that Boston lost, well, all things considered, all is good.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X