Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DoubleX
    replied
    I'm sad to see this thread go... Let's see if we can make 2000 posts next year!

Leave a comment:

• EvanAparra
    replied
    Originally posted by EvanAparra
    Its just plain ownage. The Yanks are the best team in the AL, and will probably breeze their way to the WS.
    Looks like I was wrong... They sure LOOKED like they should have breezed through to the WS.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Unstickying. Please continue to post here about anything regarding the 2006 regular season.

Thx.

Leave a comment:

• EvanAparra
    replied
    Its just plain ownage. The Yanks are the best team in the AL, and will probably breeze their way to the WS.

Leave a comment:

• rustyray
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleX
    Count me down too!
    Same for me

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    Originally posted by Mattingly
    Am I the only one who's breathing easier knowing we're playing Detroit, rather than Minnesota?
    Count me down too!

Leave a comment:

• TonyStarks
    replied
    Originally posted by Mattingly
    Am I the only one who's breathing easier knowing we're playing Detroit, rather than Minnesota?
    Hahaha....

No your not!

I was praying the Tigers lost.
    You tell me...feast on Kenny Rogers or the obviously tired Verlander or take on Johan Santana? I think that was easy!

Let the A's and the Twinkies duke it out.

But let me not get ahead, although I'm confident that the Yanks can sent the Tigers back to Detroit to celebrate their season...I won't be completely happy until Wang is on the Mound Game 4 handing off to Mo to shut it down!

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    I'm just happy that Kansas City has taken out Detroit. Now we'll face them, instead of Minnesota in the 1st round. It will be interesting seeing two teams--the Twins and the A's--compete for hte ALCS, and we've beaten both of them in the first round a few times.

As to the rotation, Wang should be fine. Evan (tho I sometimes wonder if he realizes he's a visitor ) made a good point, that he's only had one playoff start. This is his moment to shine, and he'll do so at Yankee Stadium. Hopefully, he'll perform well, get lots of ground balls.

Moose did well in his last start. I'm expecting him to be consistent, return to the ace he'd become in the middle of the season. We need all aces right now.

Randy's up in the air. As mentioned, his back is the key. If his back holds up, we're fine. Otherwise, we may as well go with Karsten from here onward.

Wright, I'm not overly confident about. I'll check his record vs Detroit later on (this dial-up is slow as molasses), but I have a feeling that Lidle or Karsten are waiting in the wings if he fails us just once. He won't be spitting the bit w/o being sent to the doghouse with dry dog food, no gravy.

As to the rest, all I ask is that we have great games against Motown. We've got HFA as long as we win 3 games, then 4 games. After that, can we *PLEASE* win another 4 games? Pretty please? With each of Boston and Anaheim eliminated, this may finally be our less nerve-wracking year.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    Just thought i would ask you guys about this...

April 22, 1997: Traded by the San Diego Padres with players to be named later and Gordon Amerson (minors) to the New York Yankees for Rafael Medina, Ruben Rivera, and $3. The San Diego Padres sent Hideki Irabu (May 29, 1997) and Vernon Maxwell (minors) (June 9, 1997) to the New York Yankees to complete the trade.

What is with the 3$... is that 3 million? Thats a pretty big chunk of change if is.
    I'm guessing it's 3 million. My memory on this is kind of fuzzy, but from what I remember, the Padres bought the rights to Irabu for several million from his Japanese team, and he then refused to sign with any American team except the Yankees. So that 3 million might have been to compensate the Padres for all or part of the fee that they paid to Irabu's Japanese team for his rights.

Leave a comment:

• EvanAparra
    replied
    Just thought i would ask you guys about this...

April 22, 1997: Traded by the San Diego Padres with players to be named later and Gordon Amerson (minors) to the New York Yankees for Rafael Medina, Ruben Rivera, and $3. The San Diego Padres sent Hideki Irabu (May 29, 1997) and Vernon Maxwell (minors) (June 9, 1997) to the New York Yankees to complete the trade.

What is with the 3$... is that 3 million? Thats a pretty big chunk of change if is.

Leave a comment:

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    New York

I am looking foward to seeing the yankees take this series in 3 games.

Leave a comment:

• ssbguyincognito
    replied
    I am much happier now that we're facing the weak Tigers in the first round instead of the Twins. I have to admit I fear the Twins; run prevention is the most important factor for playoff success - especially run prevention in late innings - and we all know the Twins can do that.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    You are overestimating the rotation, and definately overestimating the defense.

Wang has been good, but has ONE career postseason start.
    Mussina is a solid starter.
    Johnson isnt pitching.
    Wright is hardly anything to be excited about, same with Lidle.

I dont see how this rotation can possibly be given an A-.
    I'm not sure what my grades would be, it's tough because the Yankees that will play on Tuesday will be pretty different than the Yankees that we watched most of the summer. Though if I had to make grades, it would probably go:

Offense: A - With Sheffield and Matsui back, this lineup has a lot of potential, but this isn't a very scrappy lineup and it could go through a cold streak as we've seen time and time again in recent years.

Bullpen: B - There are some consistency questions, notably Villone and Farnsworth, but overall, I think this is the strongest the Yankees bullpen has been in a few years, and even with the struggles of some players, this is not a bullpen that has been lit up that much this year.

Rotation: -B - Johnson, as of today, feels good and will start Game 3. I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing or bad thing. Wang has looked a little shaky lately and Mussina cannot be relied upon as a real ace because he does have inconsistent periods. Jaret Wright will be the 4th starter if necessary, and that's not a good thing either. This grade is based on the solidness of Mussina and Wang the eternal hope that Johnson can return to form for at least one game.

Defense: C - I don't think it's as bad as some think. Cano has become very good at 2B and has good range; Jeter, I believe has not become a good defensive SS, and A-Rod seems to have sorted things out since his error-spree in the summer. He's been much, much better the past month or so. Posada has developed into a good defensive and game-calling catcher. Damon covers good ground in CF, though is arm is terrible. Abreu has a good arm, but I don't think he gets good jumps on balls or closes well on balls. Matsui is a solid fielder but he has definite limitations, especially in light of the injury. Plugging in Cabrera and Phillips in the late innings actually makes this team pretty decent defensively, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Mariano_Rivera
    replied
    The AL playoffs are now set. The Tigers have won the WC and the Twins have won the division. The matchups will look like this:

Yankees-Tigers (Yankees home)

Twins-Athletics (Twins home)

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X