The Season: 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Season: 2009

The 2009 season is upon us and as has been the case the past few years, we'll have a thread here to capture our conversations and observations about the season as the season progresses.

It should be an exciting year, perhaps with a much different feeling than in recent years as the team will have an infusion of younger stars that Yankee fans will look to for a return to greatness. So let us welcome the new Yankee stadium and the new Yankees.

So let the discourse commence....
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

The campaign is upon us. Personally they need to get off to a good start. Anyone know if the games against the cubs will be on TV?
    http://thedugoutdoctors.com/wp-conte...kees27th_f.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by TonyStarks View Post
      The 2009 season is upon us and as has been the case the past few years, we'll have a thread here to capture our conversations and observations about the season as the season progresses.

It should be an exciting year, perhaps with a much different feeling than in recent years as the team will have an infusion of younger stars that Yankee fans will look to for a return to greatness. So let us welcome the new Yankee stadium and the new Yankees.

So let the discourse commence....

Yeah! Let's get it going. The only thing that worries me besides injuries is when Arod comes back. This lineup is good and with Arod in it, it is great but he is also going to be bringing a lot of baggage with him. Let's hope it doesn't affect him or the rest of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnypapa View Post
        Yeah! Let's get it going. The only thing that worries me besides injuries is when Arod comes back. This lineup is good and with Arod in it, it is great but he is also going to be bringing a lot of baggage with him. Let's hope it doesn't affect him or the rest of the team.
        I agree with you. I actually like Cody Ransom and I think that he's a better defender than Arod and I think we're going to get a lot more than expected from him. He can bunt, and he doesn't strike out a whole lot and can swipe a base. Not to mention he has a bit of pop in his bat too. He's one of the most fundamentally sound Yankees.

However, with that said, the Yankees do not have enough power with Mark Teixiera alone to afford someone like Ransom at third. This is completely hypothetically speaking of course. I think that if Arod played a different position, I would love to see Cody Ransom on a regular basis. I like what he brings, while not flashy, his fundamentals seem to be very sound.

Comment

I think Cody Ransom can be one of the best bench players in the game - and I think the team should be able to survive with him playing six, seven games in a row, if need be. However, until proven otherwise, I am worried about having him in the line-up everyday for the first month of the season. With Teixeira being a notoriously slow-starter, and the Yankees missing Rodriguez, the offense may be in dire straits... and, in the AL East, the team cannot survive with a terrible start.

Comment

I think they're going to be pretty solid even with Ransom and Gardner in the lineup - we'll see how it goes though.

I was really happy to hear that the club is taking Ramiro Pena. I hope his bat improves, but if it doesn't, he can play on my softball team any day.
            "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

Originally posted by Domenic View Post
              I think Cody Ransom can be one of the best bench players in the game - and I think the team should be able to survive with him playing six, seven games in a row, if need be. However, until proven otherwise, I am worried about having him in the line-up everyday for the first month of the season. With Teixeira being a notoriously slow-starter, and the Yankees missing Rodriguez, the offense may be in dire straits... and, in the AL East, the team cannot survive with a terrible start.
              If Posada and Matsui stay healthy they are gonna hit. Also Cano I think is primed for a great year. If those three perform to expectations than that should cover if Ransom doesn't hit at all. Personally I think he is going to be fine but let's not kid ourselves...Ransom does not equal Arod. This team needs Arod. It just doesn't need the bs that comes with him.

As far as Tex....he had a great spring. Hopefully that parlays into a good start.

Comment

My concern is that the team is banking on so many rebounds - and this has nothing to do with Gardner, Ransom, or even Rodriguez. Matsui and Posada missed a significant amount of time last year, and neither seems capable of playing the field. Cano looked lost for most of the season last year, and I'm really not sure what we can expect at this point. Jeter remains one of the best shortstops in the game (at least offensively), but his numbers appear to be trending downwards.

I'm being a bit pessimistic, but I do think there are reasons for concern. With the four aforementioned question marks, having a couple of weaker bats in the line-up could really put a burden on the rotation.

Comment

Great job, Tony! Thanks for accepting the well-deserved honor of starting this thread. :gt

What does everyone so far think about the lineup? In Saturday's exhibition game vs the Cubbies, we had:

Jeter-R--SS
                  Damon-L--LF
                  Teixeira-B--1B
                  Matsui-L--DH
                  Posada-B--C
                  Cano-L--2B
                  Nady-R--RF
                  Ransom-R--3B
                  Gardner-L--CF

What would be everyone's approach to this lineup? Leave it alone? Use Posada less? Move Tex from batting 3rd to cleanup?

Also, what do you consider any important points re the opener in Baltimore?

Here's the 2009 Yankee Schedule.
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                  THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                  Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

My goodness, that looks exactly like the same lineup that the great joek gave me I posted on March 30. Posted in thread opening day lineup, post 2.

The most important point I see to having a great season is keeping Ransom at third base. The lineup will be adjusted somewhat according to who is pitching against us, resting a player, keeping everyone fresh.
                    Recent news, Arod says he wants to come back in April.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                      Great job, Tony! Thanks for accepting the well-deserved honor of starting this thread. :gt

What does everyone so far think about the lineup? In Saturday's exhibition game vs the Cubbies, we had:

Jeter-R--SS
                      Damon-L--LF
                      Teixeira-B--1B
                      Matsui-L--DH
                      Posada-B--C
                      Cano-L--2B
                      Nady-R--RF
                      Ransom-R--3B
                      Gardner-L--CF

What would be everyone's approach to this lineup? Leave it alone? Use Posada less? Move Tex from batting 3rd to cleanup?

Also, what do you consider any important points re the opener in Baltimore?

Here's the 2009 Yankee Schedule.
                      Might as well keep Tex batting third because that's where he's gonna be when Arod comes back. I only recognize one of the names (Guthrie...he's there #1) of the pitchers the Orioles are going to throw at us. In the few years past that meant we would get shut down by these guys. I'll know the Yankees are a different team if they clobber these guys like they should

Comment

What happened to DX? Yes, I have the 2009 BP but doesn't (last 2 years) DX give an active player opinion. I always thought it was excellent except for his persistent decline of Jeter at SS.

How did Jimmy Durante say it "good night Mrs Mcqulicty whereever you are"

I actually posted on BoSox over the winter about Tek (told not to post there) and he was there.

Hope it doesn't rain.

Clipper

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly View Post

Jeter-R--SS
                          Damon-L--LF
                          Teixeira-B--1B
                          Matsui-L--DH
                          Posada-B--C
                          Cano-L--2B
                          Nady-R--RF
                          Ransom-R--3B
                          Gardner-L--CF

To me, ideal line-up would be:

1. Jeter, SS
                          2. Damon, LF
                          3. Cano, 2B
                          4. Teixeira, 1B
                          5. Matsui, DH
                          6. Swisher, RF
                          7. Posada, C
                          8. Ransom, 3B
                          9. Gardner, CF

I think Cano would benefit a great deal from batting between Damon and Teixeira, and I think Swisher makes the line-up much more disciplined.

Comment

Originally posted by Domenic View Post
                            To me, ideal line-up would be:

1. Jeter, SS
                            2. Damon, LF
                            3. Cano, 2B
                            4. Teixeira, 1B
                            5. Matsui, DH
                            6. Swisher, RF
                            7. Posada, C
                            8. Ransom, 3B
                            9. Gardner, CF

I think Cano would benefit a great deal from batting between Damon and Teixeira, and I think Swisher makes the line-up much more disciplined.
                            I think Cano's going to have a very good season this year. The guy seems focused and poised. I expect him to be .310+ 20HR! I'm not sure about batting him 3rd though...I like him in the 6 hole. If he gets off to a fast start then I'd consider moving him in front of Tex.

I also prefer Swisher in RF over Nady. I've never really be impressed by Nady, yes last season he was impressive...but I've always felt it was a career year and not some sort of new Nady.

I like what I've seen from Ransom. I wonder what happens when Alex gets back. I know Giradi won't be keeping 2 Utility INF's around.
                            Last edited by TonyStarks; 04-06-2009, 12:29 AM.
                            "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Well who's ready to get this thing started? They are now saying a-rod could be back by the end of April. Anyone buying that a-rod will be back that soon?
                              http://thedugoutdoctors.com/wp-conte...kees27th_f.jpg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X