1st Base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Base

Giambi is horrible at 1st base. If he becomes the DH, what will they do with Bernie and who would be the everyday 1st baseman. I cannot see a platoon of Cairo and Phillips.

Can they hold out until one is available?

Originally posted by YankeeJedi415
    Giambi is horrible at 1st base. If he becomes the DH, what will they do with Bernie and who would be the everyday 1st baseman. I cannot see a platoon of Cairo and Phillips.

Can they hold out until one is available?
    I think Phillips could hold his own if given an extended chance. He has been a beast at the AAA level the past few years, so he just needs ML opportunity. Otherwise, Eric Duncan could be ready by next year, maybe even the end of this year if he progresses rapidly at AAA.

Comment

Starting Cairo aty first and continuing to start Bernie at DH has really been the last straw with me, and i now think of Torre as a very bad manager. He would rather start a veteran who is one of his guys that can't hit for crap than give a young guy a shot to prove himself. Anyone who thinks that Cairo is actually a better hitter than Phillips is out of their mind.

Comment

The Giambi Problem

This is going to be an ongoing problem for the Yankees all year. Is the trade-off of getting Giambi's homers and walks/OBP worth watching him kick the ball around all year at first?

I can't stand watching him play the field. Anyone else at first would be better...Phillips, Cairo...probably even Bernie himself.

I agree that Torre is hanging onto Bernie cuz he's "one of his guys", and I love Bernie too....but at some point you gotta sit the old veteran down and have a heart-to-heart about what's not getting done at the DH spot.

I think Torre will play with this problem and see if anyone steps up. If no one does, I see Giambi DHing, Bernie sitting and Phillips playing first by the All Star break.

Comment

Originally posted by Dasperp
          Starting Cairo aty first and continuing to start Bernie at DH has really been the last straw with me, and i now think of Torre as a very bad manager. He would rather start a veteran who is one of his guys that can't hit for crap than give a young guy a shot to prove himself. Anyone who thinks that Cairo is actually a better hitter than Phillips is out of their mind.
          I agree. If Torre is going to make the decision to not start Giambi at 1B, there is no reason that Miguel Cairo should be chosen for the duty when Andy Phillips is on the roster.

Torre in the past few years has become really conservative. He refuses to take chances and would rather insert weak and struggling veterans than give young guys a shot. He needs to manage with more energy and imagination.

Comment

Torre is what he has always been: A guy who can win with horses and a guy who loses without them. Just another guy who got networked into the managing loop.
            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Giambi should not be everyday DH nor the everyday first baseman. I suppose his lackluster fielding ability is a good reason to push him to DH, but that's one of the things Torre has tried in the past with limited success.

Putting Cairo in at first base is a complete joke. Maybe late in the game as a PR for Giambi and not wasting a player, that's fine, but to start at first base is an insult to Giambi and Philips.

My ideal situation would be to have Giambi probably start 2/3 games at first and 1/3 games at DH. Philips would start 1/3 at first when Giambi DH's. On the 2/3 days when Giambi plays first, Bernie Williams DH's. When Giambino DH's, Bernie stays on the bench and pinch hits for whoever is sucking.

ATM Giambi's fielding really isn't that bad. Look at Cano... he's terrible. Hell, they should just have Cairo start at 2nd and have Cano play first.. heh. The big problem with the Yankees is that they have three catchers. That's completely useless. Just chuck Kelly Stinett, start Nieves 1/3 games and let Posada pinch hit on that day. Bring up Felix Escalona who is practically the equivalent of Luis Sojo.

Oh, and crosby should start 1/3 games in right field instead of Sheffield, who should stay on the bench and pinch hit.

This plan of mine would make some damn good sense, I honestly think.
              "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

Originally posted by mikesty
                Giambi should not be everyday DH nor the everyday first baseman. I suppose his lackluster fielding ability is a good reason to push him to DH, but that's one of the things Torre has tried in the past with limited success.

Putting Cairo in at first base is a complete joke. Maybe late in the game as a PR for Giambi and not wasting a player, that's fine, but to start at first base is an insult to Giambi and Philips.

My ideal situation would be to have Giambi probably start 2/3 games at first and 1/3 games at DH. Philips would start 1/3 at first when Giambi DH's. On the 2/3 days when Giambi plays first, Bernie Williams DH's. When Giambino DH's, Bernie stays on the bench and pinch hits for whoever is sucking.

ATM Giambi's fielding really isn't that bad. Look at Cano... he's terrible. Hell, they should just have Cairo start at 2nd and have Cano play first.. heh. The big problem with the Yankees is that they have three catchers. That's completely useless. Just chuck Kelly Stinett, start Nieves 1/3 games and let Posada pinch hit on that day. Bring up Felix Escalona who is practically the equivalent of Luis Sojo.

Oh, and crosby should start 1/3 games in right field instead of Sheffield, who should stay on the bench and pinch hit.

This plan of mine would make some damn good sense, I honestly think.
                I think they should try an experiment with Giambi as the DH and Phillips or Cairo at first for a few months to see if Giambi can adapt. If not then it's not like we need the offense the other guys can cover. As a side note I`m wondering what they will do next year with Phillips, Cairo, Giambi and Duncan for 1st.

That second idea with Cano at 1st is truly idiotic. In fact is that a joke? Though part of it does make sense we could use Cano as DH a lot instead of the popular but sadly declining Bernie Williams and bring up Escalona. I think Stinett is useful because of the comfort he gives Johnson. However, I`m sure Torre does not want to go through a personal catcher thing with Johnson again. The problem with this plan is I have both Cano and Giambi being the DH a lot. I like the Crosby idea a whole lot actually they should make Crosby be the Right Fielder more than 1/3 of the time he can really play small-ball and improves the defense. Sheffield isn`t excactly the only 100 RBI player on this team.
                Yes I do realize this makes about no sense please comment kindly though
                2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

I really thought Bernie's role on this team was to be a pinch hitter off the bench like Sierra's role. I guess if Bernie continues to hit poorly then Torre has no choice but to play other guys.

Comment

Originally posted by farmsystem
                    I really thought Bernie's role on this team was to be a pinch hitter off the bench like Sierra's role. I guess if Bernie continues to hit poorly then Torre has no choice but to play other guys.
                    Bernie is hitting poorly? I just saw him get his 1200th RBI
                    "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

Despite his .320 avg, bernie is hitting horribly. He has one extra base hit so far, which tells me that he's been having a lot of hits fall in and has been more lucky than good.

Comment

I really meant Bernie hasn't been productive. No homeruns and only a couple of RBIs. In the 5-1 loss to the Twins, Bernie hitting into a DP with two on and no outs didn't help. I realize Bernie is a slow starter and I'm sure Torre has his reasons for staying with Bernie (maybe wants him to get going with a lot of at bats, getting acclimated to playing other OF spots, etc.) Hopefully, Bernie can contribute a lot more the rest of the season. I know he's a pretty good bat to have in the post season if the Yankees get there.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X