The Off-Season: 2009-2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Off-Season: 2009-2010

I already can't wait for the next baseball season, not because of the "Wait Til Next Year" mentality, but because of the "Two In A Row" excitement that I'm feeling (as with the rest of Yankee Universe, I imagine)!

So first and foremost:

Damon and Matsui - who stays, who goes
    Andy Pettitte - another year?
    John Lackey - should/will we get him

Should be a great winter!
    sigpic

Will Lackey agree to be 3rd or 4th (if Pettite returns) pitcher though?

Comment

If Pettite wants to come back of course he can. I would like to see him back.

Matsui over Damon. I think Matsui would do a year at a time. Damon won't.

Pick up a veteran starter with questions but talent. My choices would be Harden or Duchsherer. I would like to keep Hinske and Hairston. Let Molina go.

Then trade some young pitching either Joba or IPK for a young big bat for LF.

Otherwise, I would consider bringing back Nady or maybe going after Ankiel.

Comment

Also - will 2010 be the year that AJax gets some serious playing time?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
          If Pettite wants to come back of course he can. I would like to see him back.
          Agreed.

I'm unsure about this one . . . Matsui's value is entirely tied to his bat, and having a permanent DH is something of a strain on the roster. If he's willing to sit a few days a week, for Posada, Rodriguez, and whomever else may need the rest, then I may lean towards him.

Pick up a veteran starter with questions but talent. My choices would be Harden or Duchsherer.
          No to Harden - he's a Type A free agent and will demand a fair amount of money. Yes to Duchscherer, though.

I would like to keep Hinske and Hairston. Let Molina go.
          Agreed.

Then trade some young pitching either Joba or IPK for a young big bat for LF.
          Chamberlain's value is even lower than Kennedy's at this juncture, in my mind - particularly with his struggles in the bullpen in the postseason. I wouldn't be opposed to moving Kennedy, though, as I feel that the likelihood of him pitching for the Yankees is minimal.

Any ideas on a LF'er? Hermida would have been an interesting option, but the Red Sox acquired him today.

Otherwise, I would consider bringing back Nady or maybe going after Ankiel.
          If Nady will take an incredibly low-base salary, I'd explore giving him a shot - he's an injury risk and a slightly above league-average bat . . . he doesn't deserve much more.

I have heard a fair amount of conversation about Ankiel . . . but I don't understand it. The more he plays, the more exposed his game becomes - he hit .231/.285/.387 this season and is, by most measures, a below-average outfielder.

Comment

Originally posted by The Korean View Post
            Will Lackey agree to be 3rd or 4th (if Pettite returns) pitcher though?
            Lackey will be the third starter. Pettitte will be the fourth even if he returns. Either way, I don't believe he cares if he's the ace of the staff or not. As long as he's being paid, it shouldn't be a issue since he's a starter. He'll get
            as many starts as the ace. This isn't like moving from one team as the closer to another team to be a setup man, which will decline his value in terms of money on the market.

True, but as Domenic pointed out, Matsui is a strict DH. The DH spot will likely be needed for Posada next season. It will also be used to give Rodriguez rest with the benefit of not losing his bat in the lineup. I believe a lot of people want to see him back, but it might not be reasonable to bring him back to the club next season. If Posada wasn't around, I believe this a clear decision to keep him, but with Posada around, it's just too much time he'll be on the bench and also can't help at all on the field.
            Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
            Also - will 2010 be the year that AJax gets some serious playing time?
            I believe it's time to get the prospect a chance. Cabrera and Gardner will clearly start the season as CF and fourth outfielder, but Jackson should get a shot next season.

Originally posted by Domenic View Post
            Chamberlain's value is even lower than Kennedy's at this juncture, in my mind - particularly with his struggles in the bullpen in the postseason. I wouldn't be opposed to moving Kennedy, though, as I feel that the likelihood of him pitching for the Yankees is minimal.
            I won't go that far, but Chamberlain's value is currently not at it's highest. Not to mention the potential Chamberlain has. Simply holding onto him might be best. Unless another team wants to give the Yankees a deal that can't be refused.

Kennedy's value has decline from a couple of seasons ago, but he should net the team decent prospects or MLB players. Surprising that adding Kennedy to Santana deal might had been the breaker of the proposed deal. At least that speculation on my part, but that just shows you how fast one player's value can decline. Not to say Kennedy a lost cause, but he likely will never have the value he had back then again.

Comment

Didn't know about Hermidia. Not sure I was that crazy about him.

I think Matsui would sit a couple. He seems to realize that time off helps him. Plus Damon is becoming a pure DH and is good at home but not sure how he plays on the road as he ages.

I don't think Chamberlain's value has dropped much. I think people still see what we see. An immensely talented pitcher who just completed his first season starting and put up league average numbers.

Who do I want? The big idea would be to package Joba plus some other and try and go after Ryan Braun. It's a reach but Milwaukee needs pitching and Gamel could (poorly) replace Braun. They also need a CF so maybe Melky could be a chip. Throw in some other prospects that Milwaukee likes and try to make it work.

Barring that Minny is way down on Delmon Young. I bet we could get him for IPK maybe less.

Agree on Nady but I would rather get a lefty. Which brings me to Ankiel. He has not been a hitter that long. Is LH with power. Apparently played the OF well enough to handle CF. My guess is he has a good arm.

Did not know Harden was Type A but that won't matte if he is not offered arb. I think Duchserer is more likely.

The pitcher I keep forgetting in this thread is Chapman. I really want them to go after him. CC has an opt out. Andy has 1 or 2 years left if that. The next LH starter I see in the minors is Man Ban and I think 2012 is optimistic for that. I think Chapman is a must.

Overall, I think the Yanks are in a great position. They really need to settle LF, DH and 6th starter. Plus they have internal options at each and have lots of money coming off the books. Couple that with a talented farm system. Things look good. I love the hot stove season.

Comment

Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
                I already can't wait for the next baseball season, not because of the "Wait Til Next Year" mentality, but because of the "Two In A Row" excitement that I'm feeling (as with the rest of Yankee Universe, I imagine)!

So first and foremost:

Damon and Matsui - who stays, who goes
                Andy Pettitte - another year?
                John Lackey - should/will we get him

Should be a great winter!

Leaning towards Matsui staying and letting Damon go.
                One year contract for Andy
                Get Lackey............or

trade for.......Felix Hernandez.

Comment

I think the Yankees should have tried getting Jeremy Hermida as the Sox did. It's a nice little move for him. Hermida is still young enough where you can put stock in the potential he's exhibited, and coming over to a better organization (with better coaching) and a hitters park could really help him. He would have provided nice youthful depth for the Yankees.

As for the Yankees pending free agents, it's hard to not let sentiment get in the way after this World Series and want to see both Damon and Matsui back. Both likely increased their value with this postseason, and if they're looking for deals longer than say 2 years, they'll probably have to look elsewhere. If I had to state a preference of who to keep, I'd say Damon just because he's a more dimensional player at this point, and I think he'd make a nice fit in a reserve/platoon role like Tim Raines did a decade ago.

If Matsui would come back for a year, I'd consider that though, but the Yankees are going to want more flexibility with that DH spot.

I'd let Nady go. He's coming off his second Tommy John surgery and other than his career half year with Pittsburgh in 2008, I don't think he was much more than a 4th OFer anyway. I think going with a younger healthier player, such as Jeremy Hermida, would be the better move.

You have to think if Pettitte wants to come back, he'll be back. On Letterman last night though he was talking about the end being near (though he's said that many times before).

I actually don't see the Yankees really going after Lackey. Lackey is going to want more than Burnett is making and at some point, you have to think the Yankees well be capped out with those huge contracts. Plus, assuming both Chamberlain and Hughes are in the rotation next year and Gaudin comes back, the team has decent depth (plus Kennedy and McAlister in the wings, with Wang coming back at some point as well).

Comment

Who do I want? The big idea would be to package Joba plus some other and try and go after Ryan Braun. It's a reach but Milwaukee needs pitching
                    While Milwaukee is desperate for pitching, Braun is under contract through 2015 - I think Hardy and Fielder are much more likely trade candidates this offseason. . . in fact, I doubt Braun goes anywhere, barring some sort of deal that blows Milwaukee out of the water. I don't think the Yankees could offer such a deal.

Edit: The Brewers dealt J.J. Hardy to the Twins for . . . Carlos Gomez. Perhaps Braun could be acquired for pennies on the dollar.

Barring that Minny is way down on Delmon Young. I bet we could get him for IPK maybe less.
                    I don't think Young brings enough to the table. He's still young, but he hasn't shown much of anything in the majors, and he does have some severe attitude issues. He's also a righty and a middling outfielder (defensively speaking). I think Kennedy may be too much for him. . .

Which brings me to Ankiel. He has not been a hitter that long. Is LH with power. Apparently played the OF well enough to handle CF. My guess is he has a good arm.
                    Ankiel played CF because LaRussa is notoriously slow in giving a proper shot to his young players - Rasmus played CF wonderfully and outhit Ankiel, yet he wasn't the everyday CF'er until mid-season. There are plenty of examples of players playing a position they shouldn't . . . and a good arm does not a good OF'er make.

Plus, while he hasn't been hitting for too long . . . he's also 30 and a Boras client. I don't think his ceiling is worth his potential price tag.

The pitcher I keep forgetting in this thread is Chapman. I really want them to go after him. CC has an opt out. Andy has 1 or 2 years left if that. The next LH starter I see in the minors is Man Ban and I think 2012 is optimistic for that. I think Chapman is a must.
                    I agree on Chapman. I'm loath to dole out a huge contract for a prospect, but I really think he has a bright future.
                    Last edited by Domenic; 11-06-2009, 10:39 AM.

Comment

From Joel Sherman:

Sherman says the Yankees like Holliday, but could afford to pass on him (even if Boston is interested)—appear to be out of the Yankees’ price range. The last-minute Teixeira deal might have been a bank buster for Hal Steinbrenner.

To shore up their lineup, Sherman speculates that the team will push to resign Damon to a one-year deal, then possibly pursue Carl Crawford as Damon’s successor once Crawford becomes a free agent after 2010 (unless the Rays sign him to an extension).

He also notes that the Yankees could dangle Robinson Cano as trade bait for another pitcher—Felix Hernandez, perhaps—although such a blockbuster seems unlikely (if Matsui signs with another team the Yankees will need to retain their offense).
                      "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

I would be willing to deal Cano, Chamberlain, and another fairly high prospect for Hernandez - essentially anyone but Jackson/Montero. I'm not sure that that would be enough, though . . . and I wouldn't be surprised if the Mariners could get more for Hernandez, at that. Hell, Hernandez is younger than Chamberlain and only a couple of months older than Hughes - the Mariners should expect a king's ransom.

If such a deal went through, the Yankees could sign Orlando Hudson to play 2B until a more long-term solution comes to light, and I don't think the team would miss much of a beat, on the whole.

Comment

Ankiel was supposedly hurt this year which hurt his numbers. I doub he commands that much regardless of his agent. Boras does not create value he just maxes it out.

I heard about the Hardy deal which caused me to think that our chances on my proposal for Braun went way down. Why does anyone like Carlos Gomez? I would have given them Gardner and Freddy Guzman!?!

Not that it was much of a shot anyway.

I agree that Young has not shown much. But there is a dearth of potential impact players for LF.

A note on pitching. MLBTR lists Harden as Type B. If that's the case I really like him for th right price. The Yanks can keep a close eye and spot him more when he needs a break. Keep him healthy.

Ben Sheets and Erik Bedard are others worth looking into.

On our own players, I would offer arb to both Damon and Matsui. I do no mind overpaying on a 1 year deal. And we could use the picks if they leave. Same for Andy.

Comment

This may sound greedy but I don't see why we can't bring both Matsui and Damon back on one year deals?

Put Damon in left for one more year, he clearly has the bat and his defense won't kill them with the range of Gardner/Melky in center and Swisher in right. Then Matsui can be the full-time DH again. I know people want to use the DH spot as a way to rest the aging veterans but what happens when the injury bug hits and you have a couple of easy outs at the back of that lineup?

Last year everybody was worried about having to get Nady, Damon, Matsui, Swisher, and Teixeira enough playing time and some people wanted Swisher traded. Well, Nady got hurt and their depth allowed them to go forward without having to give up prospects mid-season for a corner outfielder.

Surpluses have a way of working themselves out I think theirs a lot to be said for giving two hitters as clutch as Matsui and Damon a one year cotnract.
                            2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Originally posted by Mariano_Rivera View Post
                              This may sound greedy but I don't see why we can't bring both Matsui and Damon back on one year deals?

Put Damon in left for one more year, he clearly has the bat and his defense won't kill them with the range of Gardner/Melky in center and Swisher in right. Then Matsui can be the full-time DH again. I know people want to use the DH spot as a way to rest the aging veterans but what happens when the injury bug hits and you have a couple of easy outs at the back of that lineup?

Last year everybody was worried about having to get Nady, Damon, Matsui, Swisher, and Teixeira enough playing time and some people wanted Swisher traded. Well, Nady got hurt and their depth allowed them to go forward without having to give up prospects mid-season for a corner outfielder.

Surpluses have a way of working themselves out I think theirs a lot to be said for giving two hitters as clutch as Matsui and Damon a one year cotnract.
                              I don't think Damon will take a 1 year deal. Not after Abreu signed a two year with a vesting option for a third.

That's why I offer him arbitration. Definitely would be overpaying if he accepts but it is one year and I really don't see anyone that is "available" that I would rather have.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X