• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countdown to Derek Jeter's 2,000th hit/2,000 hits for Jeter

He's at 1,972 so far. Only 28 to go.

Go, CAP'N INTANGIBLES! :gt

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=3246
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

The question is how many more left does he have in him?
    "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

Originally posted by mikesty
      The question is how many more left does he have in him?
      A few more than 28 I can tell you, and he has a very decent shot at 3,000+

Comment

Originally posted by Edgartohof
        A few more than 28 I can tell you, and he has a very decent shot at 3,000+
        If he can stay healthy, he has an excellent shot at not just 3,000, but well above 3000.

He's 32 and a threat to get 200 hits every year. So let's say over the next 4 seasons (including this one) he averages 185 hits, which could very well be an underestimate. So after the 2009 season, Derek will be 36 and have approximately 2,675 hits.

So then let's say Jeter then plays until he's 40, and over the next four seasons, Jeter averages 155 hits a year. Which again could be an underestimate, but who knows what can happen when injuries and decline set in. So given these estimates, after the 2013 season, when Derek will be 40, he'll have approximately 3,300 hits. Pretty nice.

Of course a lot can and will happen between now and then, and Jeter could very well fall very, very short of the mark (and dropoff like Roberto Alomar), or Jeter can remain productive until his late 30s (like Craig Biggio) and perhaps even surpass the hypothetical 3,300 mark.

Comment

17 left--assuming he gets 3.5 ABs a game, and continues hitting at .315, it should take him 13 more games (I think)
          Me, at a Boston restaurant, to a waiter:
          Are you sure the Manny Ramirez (name of burger) isn't a sloppy joe?

Comment

He's got 1,998 hits so far. He could easily get this tonight. Hopefully it's a Yankee win.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...e?statsId=5406
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Congratulations Jeter!!!!!
              Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Jeter should have a good shot at being the all-time Yankees hit king when all is said and done. I believe that honor right now belongs to Lou Gehrig who had 2721 hits. Some other notables along the way...

Lou Gehrig: 2721
                Babe Ruth: 2518
                Mickey Mantle: 2451
                Bernie Williams: 2252 (and counting)
                Joe DiMaggio: 2214
                Don Mattingly: 2153
                Yogi Berra: 2150

There are a couple of caveats that held a couple of these players back: DiMaggio lost three years of his prime to military service, and Gehrig's last healthy season came at age 34, if not for the fatal disease, he probably would have zoomed past 3000 hits.

Comment

Jeter doubled to deep left center, Stinnett scored, Cabrera to third.

1,999 -- one to go!

Comment

only 1 more!!!

Wow if he does it in fenway...
                    Yankees '09

Arod, CC, AJ, DJ and Tex

Comment

2000 Hits for Jeter

With a bunt single in the 4th inning, Derek Jeter became the 240th player in major league history to record 2000 hits.

Comment

Here's to 2000 more!!!
                        "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

Jeter reached 2,000 hits in his 1571st game. I think they said on the Yankees radio broadcast that since 1961, only three other players have reached 2,000 hits in under 1,600 games - Wade Boggs, Tony Gwynn, and Rod Carew. Not bad company at all to be in.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                            only three other players have reached 2,000 hits in under 1,600 games - Wade Boggs, Tony Gwynn, and Rod Carew. Not bad company at all to be in.
                            Indeed... However, I hope that Jeter gets more than the 3010, 3141, and 3053 of the above (in respective order).

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                              Jeter reached 2,000 hits in his 1571st game. I think they said on the Yankees radio broadcast that since 1961, only three other players have reached 2,000 hits in under 1,600 games - Wade Boggs, Tony Gwynn, and Rod Carew. Not bad company at all to be in.
                              He's also the fastest to get to 2,000. According to Baseball Tonight.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X