1927 Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1927 Yankees

Hey all, I'm new here and was looking for information on the 1927 Yankees. I have the books Murderer's Row by G.H. Fleming, The '27 Yankees by Fred Glueckstein, and Five O'Clock Lightning by Harvey Frommer. Was wondering if there are any other books out there I may have missed and also anyone know of any good websites with more information on the 1927 Yankees?

Thanks in advance,
    James
    Axes grind and maces clash!

Just from doing a quick internet search:

The Wonder Team

There's also one called The Greatest of All. The 1927 Yankees, but it might be hard to find.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

The Wonder Team

There's also one called The Greatest of All. The 1927 Yankees, but it might be hard to find.
      Thanks. Do you know anything about either of those two books?

Comment

Originally posted by jsontag View Post
        Nothing at all. Sorry.
        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
        2. Barry Bonds
        3. Ty Cobb
        4. Ted Williams
        5. Willie Mays
        6. Alex Rodriguez
        7. Hank Aaron
        8. Honus Wagner
        9. Lou Gehrig
        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Nothing at all. Sorry.
          That is okay, you've been very helpful though with these two books.

Comment

That is okay, you've been very helpful though with these two books.
            No problem. Welcome to the site.
            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

I do have the "Wonder Team", similar in format to the others you mention, which I also have. It does contain some items the others do not. At the end, bio's on all the members of the team, includes short bio of Pete Sheehy clubhouse man and Eddie Bennet, batboy/team mascot. I like it, equal to any other book I have dealing with the 1927 team, it is a good one, I think you would like it.

Comment

Many years ago I read a book on the 1927 Yankees that was edited together from a series of contemporary newspaper accounts of the team, starting with spring training and going through the World Series. It was a very interesting and unique book, revealing many of the biases of the time (Lazzeri is the target of a steady stream of "good natured" slurs against his ethnicity, for example). And it also avoids the sense of historical inevitability that is a problem with most baseball books. For example, Ruth gets off to a comparatively slow start in hitting HR, and nobody knows if he can break the record till he actually does it.

I can't remember the author or title of this book, but it's well worth looking for. If anyone can name it, I'd be appreciative. I do recall that this book was one of a series in which the author/editor used the same approach for different seasons.

Comment

I recently came across this online and was wondering if anyone has it and if so, is it worth buying? The greatest of all: The 1927 New York Yankees by John Mosedale Came out in 1974.

Thanks,
                  James Sontag

Comment

The Wonder Team

The Greatest of All by John Mosedale. One of my dad's he gave me, (one of the first of his collection he passed on, actually) I still read it every so often.

Comment

If this were 1927, and somehow BF existed, can you imagine all of the nasty debating that would go on between us? I would take Gehrig's side no matter what, while I know a certain someone would keep posting links to fangraphs saying how much better Ruth is. We would probably all be banned.
                      Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Comment

Haha you're right, Knight. For once I agree with you {and I am not the fangraphs guy}. But how about BBF during the '77-'78 seasons? George, Billy, Reggie, Munson... Holy Cow!
                        Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

Originally posted by The Monument View Post
                          Haha you're right, Knight. For once I agree with you {and I am not the fangraphs guy}. But how about BBF during the '77-'78 seasons? George, Billy, Reggie, Munson... Holy Cow!
                          I think if this were '77/'78, there wouldn't be too much arguing. While I was very little at the time, didn't every Yankee fan pretty much all like Munson, Reggie, Nettles, and Martin? Now, if this was 1985, things would be a little different. Several here would be calling Mattingly an over-rated teflon fan favorite, saying Henderson is the one having the historic year. I'd take Donnie's side though.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                            If this were 1927, and somehow BF existed, can you imagine all of the nasty debating that would go on between us? I would take Gehrig's side no matter what, while I know a certain someone would keep posting links to fangraphs saying how much better Ruth is. We would probably all be banned.
                            Considering the absolute Ruth acolytes we have on this site, I'm surprised that's who you've singled out.

Sticking to discourse has never gotten anyone banned from this site.
                            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                              Considering the absolute Ruth acolytes we have on this site, I'm surprised that's who you've singled out.

Sticking to discourse has never gotten anyone banned from this site.
                              Cap, just how many have been banned for life here? I'm not talking about newbies or spam bots, I'm talking about regular posters. It's gotta be tough for the admins to make that decision on long-time users.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X