Announcement

Collapse

Updated Baseball Fever Policy

Baseball Fever Policy

I. Purpose of this announcement:

This announcement describes the policies pertaining to the operation of Baseball Fever.

Baseball Fever is a moderated baseball message board which encourages and facilitates research and information exchange among fans of our national pastime. The intent of the Baseball Fever Policy is to ensure that Baseball Fever remains an extremely high quality, extremely low "noise" environment.

Baseball Fever is administrated by three principal administrators:
webmaster - Baseball Fever Owner
The Commissioner - Baseball Fever Administrator
Macker - Baseball Fever Administrator

And a group of forum specific super moderators. The role of the moderator is to keep Baseball Fever smoothly and to screen posts for compliance with our policy. The moderators are ALL volunteer positions, so please be patient and understanding of any delays you might experience in correspondence.

II. Comments about our policy:

Any suggestions on this policy may be made directly to the webmaster.

III. Acknowledgments:

This document was based on a similar policy used by SABR.

IV. Requirements for participation on Baseball Fever:

Participation on Baseball Fever is available to all baseball fans with a valid email address, as verified by the forum's automated system, which then in turn creates a single validated account. Multiple accounts by a single user are prohibited.

By registering, you agree to adhere to the policies outlined in this document and to conduct yourself accordingly. Abuse of the forum, by repeated failure to abide by these policies, will result in your access being blocked to the forum entirely.

V. Baseball Fever Netiquette:

Participants at Baseball Fever are required to adhere to these principles, which are outlined in this section.
a. All posts to Baseball Fever should be written in clear, concise English, with proper grammar and accurate spelling. The use of abbreviations should be kept to a minimum; when abbreviation is necessary, they should be either well-known (such as etc.), or explained on their first use in your post.

b. Conciseness is a key attribute of a good post.

c. Quote only the portion of a post to which you are responding.

d. Standard capitalization and punctuation make a large difference in the readability of a post. TYPING IN ALL CAPITALS is considered to be "shouting"; it is a good practice to limit use of all capitals to words which you wish to emphasize.

e. It is our policy NOT to transmit any defamatory or illegal materials.

f. Personal attacks of any type against Baseball Fever readers will not be tolerated. In these instances the post will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the personal attack via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue personal attacks will be banned from the site.

g. It is important to remember that many contextual clues available in face-to-face discussion, such as tone of voice and facial expression, are lost in the electronic forum. As a poster, try to be alert for phrasing that might be misinterpreted by your audience to be offensive; as a reader, remember to give the benefit of the doubt and not to take umbrage too easily. There are many instances in which a particular choice of words or phrasing can come across as being a personal attack where none was intended.

h. The netiquette described above (a-g) often uses the term "posts", but applies equally to Private Messages.

VI. Baseball Fever User Signature Policy

A signature is a piece of text that some members may care to have inserted at the end of ALL of their posts, a little like the closing of a letter. You can set and / or change your signature by editing your profile in the UserCP. Since it is visible on ALL your posts, the following policy must be adhered to:

Signature Composition
Font size limit: No larger than size 2 (This policy is a size 2)
Style: Bold and italics are permissible
Character limit: No more than 500 total characters
Lines: No more than 4 lines
Colors: Most colors are permissible, but those which are hard to discern against the gray background (yellow, white, pale gray) should be avoided
Images/Graphics: Allowed, but nothing larger than 20k and Content rules must be followed

Signature Content
No advertising is permitted
Nothing political or religious
Nothing obscene, vulgar, defamatory or derogatory
Links to personal blogs/websites are permissible - with the webmaster's written consent
A Link to your Baseball Fever Blog does not require written consent and is recommended
Quotes must be attributed. Non-baseball quotes are permissible as long as they are not religious or political

Please adhere to these rules when you create your signature. Failure to do so will result in a request to comply by a moderator. If you do not comply within a reasonable amount of time, the signature will be removed and / or edited by an Administrator. Baseball Fever reserves the right to edit and / or remove any or all of your signature line at any time without contacting the account holder.

VII. Appropriate and inappropriate topics for Baseball Fever:

Most concisely, the test for whether a post is appropriate for Baseball Fever is: "Does this message discuss our national pastime in an interesting manner?" This post can be direct or indirect: posing a question, asking for assistance, providing raw data or citations, or discussing and constructively critiquing existing posts. In general, a broad interpretation of "baseball related" is used.

Baseball Fever is not a promotional environment. Advertising of products, web sites, etc., whether for profit or not-for-profit, is not permitted. At the webmaster's discretion, brief one-time announcements for products or services of legitimate baseball interest and usefulness may be allowed. If advertising is posted to the site it will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the post via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue advertising will be banned from the site. If the advertising is spam-related, pornography-based, or a "visit-my-site" type post / private message, no warning at all will be provided, and the member will be banned immediately without a warning.

It is considered appropriate to post a URL to a page which specifically and directly answers a question posted on the list (for example, it would be permissible to post a link to a page containing home-road splits, even on a site which has advertising or other commercial content; however, it would not be appropriate to post the URL of the main page of the site). The site reserves the right to limit the frequency of such announcements by any individual or group.

In keeping with our test for a proper topic, posting to Baseball Fever should be treated as if you truly do care. This includes posting information that is, to the best of your knowledge, complete and accurate at the time you post. Any errors or ambiguities you catch later should be acknowledged and corrected in the thread, since Baseball Fever is sometimes considered to be a valuable reference for research information.

VIII. Role of the moderator:

When a post is submitted to Baseball Fever, it is forwarded by the server automatically and seen immediately. The moderator may:
a. Leave the thread exactly like it was submitted. This is the case 95% of the time.

b. Immediately delete the thread as inappropriate for Baseball Fever. Examples include advertising, personal attacks, or spam. This is the case 1% of the time.

c. Move the thread. If a member makes a post about the Marlins in the Yankees forum it will be moved to the appropriate forum. This is the case 3% of the time.

d. Edit the message due to an inappropriate item. This is the case 1% of the time. There have been new users who will make a wonderful post, then add to their signature line (where your name / handle appears) a tagline that is a pure advertisement. This tagline will be removed, a note will be left in the message so he/she is aware of the edit, and personal contact will be made to the poster telling them what has been edited and what actions need to be taken to prevent further edits.

The moderators perform no checks on posts to verify factual or logical accuracy. While he/she may point out gross errors in factual data in replies to the thread, the moderator does not act as an "accuracy" editor. Also moderation is not a vehicle for censorship of individuals and/or opinions, and the moderator's decisions should not be taken personally.

IX. Legal aspects of participation in Baseball Fever:

By submitting a post to Baseball Fever, you grant Baseball Fever permission to distribute your message to the forum. Other rights pertaining to the post remain with the ORIGINAL author, and you may not redistribute or retransmit any posts by any others, in whole or in part, without the express consent of the original author.

The messages appearing on Baseball Fever contain the opinions and views of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of Baseball Fever, or of the Baseball Almanac family of sites.

Sincerely,

Sean Holtz, Webmaster of Baseball Almanac & Baseball Fever
www.baseball-almanac.com | www.baseball-fever.com
"Baseball Almanac: Sharing Baseball. Sharing History."
See more
See less

The Off-Season: 2011-2012 Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    The Royals have claimed Aaron Laffey and relivers Scott Proctor and Raul Valdes have elected for free agency. All three were on the 40 man roster, which is now down to 37. Expect more small moves like this to get some of the younger guys on to the 40 man roster and out of the rule V draft.
    Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

    Comment


    • #32
      Good riddance to Proctor.

      Comment


      • #33
        Proctor single handedly eliminated the Sawx from postseason

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by quagmire View Post
          Good riddance to Proctor.
          Agree proctor was awfull. Finally something we both agree.

          Comment


          • #35
            This is why I hate ESPN. They are blowing up this story staying ortiz would come to the Yankees. Who cares? Why in the world would we sign another aging bat that can't play the field to save himself. I get he had a pretty decent year but I just can't see it as a good move at all.
            http://thedugoutdoctors.com/wp-conte...kees27th_f.jpg

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Hysteria View Post
              This is why I hate ESPN. They are blowing up this story staying ortiz would come to the Yankees. Who cares? Why in the world would we sign another aging bat that can't play the field to save himself. I get he had a pretty decent year but I just can't see it as a good move at all.
              Ortiz said what he said to squeeze the Red Sox for more money, it's nothing more than a business move on his part. The Yankees will not sign Ortiz, unless he's willing to accept $3-5 million dollars and a greatly reduced role, and the Red Sox may decide to part ways and find someone younger or make a push for Prince Fielder. I see Ortiz fitting in Tampa Bay for a year or two. With that said, the Yanks might also trade Montero for an arm and sign Fielder, if that doesn't work, Ortiz could be a cheaper option as well as less years, but I in no way want Montero traded and replaced by David Ortiz. Montero has a great bat, and he's young, unless we can get Felix Hernandez, I don't think it's worth trading Montero.
              The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

              Comment


              • #37
                Reggie Corona reinstated from the 60 Day DL and sent to AAA to clear a spot on the 40 man roster. Joba Chamberlain and Justin Maxwell were also taken off the DL and added to the to the 40 man roster which now is at 39. There are still 4 (P. Feliciano, D. Marte, C. Curtis and S. Mitre) more players on the 60 day DL who will have to be dealt with soon.
                Last edited by Biggtone23; 10-13-2011, 05:16 PM.
                Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
                  Ortiz said what he said to squeeze the Red Sox for more money, it's nothing more than a business move on his part. The Yankees will not sign Ortiz, unless he's willing to accept $3-5 million dollars and a greatly reduced role, and the Red Sox may decide to part ways and find someone younger or make a push for Prince Fielder. I see Ortiz fitting in Tampa Bay for a year or two. With that said, the Yanks might also trade Montero for an arm and sign Fielder, if that doesn't work, Ortiz could be a cheaper option as well as less years, but I in no way want Montero traded and replaced by David Ortiz. Montero has a great bat, and he's young, unless we can get Felix Hernandez, I don't think it's worth trading Montero.
                  Sign Fielder? And how would Tex feel about that, you don't think he'd feel slighted?

                  And...you do realize that Fielder will command $17M to $20M+ per season right? I can't really see the Yanks dolling out that kind of money for a player like Fielder. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy but the DH is probably going to be commandeered by Montero next season.
                  "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by TonyStarks View Post
                    Sign Fielder? And how would Tex feel about that, you don't think he'd feel slighted?

                    And...you do realize that Fielder will command $17M to $20M+ per season right? I can't really see the Yanks dolling out that kind of money for a player like Fielder. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy but the DH is probably going to be commandeered by Montero next season.
                    Fielder is a great player. He's to cocky and he was laughing when his team was about to loose game 3. Imagine that he was playing with Yankees he'll get slaughtered and he's overweight. Keep montero for trade bait.Ortiz I doubted it playing in new York. So much hatred for this guy.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by jeter2 View Post
                      Fielder is a great player. He's to cocky and he was laughing when his team was about to loose game 3. Imagine that he was playing with Yankees he'll get slaughtered and he's overweight. Keep montero for trade bait.Ortiz I doubted it playing in new York. So much hatred for this guy.
                      I like Fielder. He plays the game like a kid most of the time. I admire that he hasn't lost that...yet.

                      Just keep Montero. He's cheap and could be a star in the making. If the Yanks have no faith in his glove, then make him the full time DH, backup Catcher.
                      I really don't get it. The man cannot possibly be worse than Posada or even Piazza was.
                      "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        If the Yankees continue to stay in the $215 MM payroll range, it's incredibly unlikely that they can dole out more than one large contract. Signing Fielder for between $18 and $24 MM (which is the range that I've mostly heard) when there's a league-minimum alternative on the roster in Montero is inane. Particularly when Fielder's body type is a precursor to a pretty rapid decline - Mo Vaughn and Cecil Fielder were done as productive players around 30, for what it's worth.

                        And, beyond that, if the Yankes are going to be able to give out one big contract ... I'd rather have Wilson or Darvish. The rotation is a much bigger need than the offense.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Domenic View Post
                          If the Yankees continue to stay in the $215 MM payroll range, it's incredibly unlikely that they can dole out more than one large contract. Signing Fielder for between $18 and $24 MM (which is the range that I've mostly heard) when there's a league-minimum alternative on the roster in Montero is inane. Particularly when Fielder's body type is a precursor to a pretty rapid decline - Mo Vaughn and Cecil Fielder were done as productive players around 30, for what it's worth.

                          And, beyond that, if the Yankes are going to be able to give out one big contract ... I'd rather have Wilson or Darvish. The rotation is a much bigger need than the offense.
                          Cj Wilson is Average pitcher. Yu darvish I saw him pitch in WBC. He's a very good pitcher. Will it translate to the u.s. Idk I don't follow the Nippon league but don't the pitchers pitch once a week? And with the bad history pitchers of japan coming to new York it's a risk. I rather have Felix Hernandez I can only dream.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            In what world is C.J. Wilson an average pitcher?

                            This year, Wilson posted a 2.94 ERA (32% better than league-average), a 3.24 FIP (24% better than league-average), and a 3.41 xFIP (16% better than league-average). His strikeout rate, walk rate, K/BB, and groundball rater were all above-average, and by a considerable margin. He was fourth in the AL in fWAR and eight in bWAR. All this while pitching in a hitter's park - a more extreme hitter's park than Yankee Stadium, to boot.

                            Are you suggesting 2011 was a fluke? Fine. In 2010, his ERA, FIP, xFIP, K/9, and GB% were all above-average. He wasn't quite as good, to be sure, but it was also his first full season as a starting pitcher. Oh, and he still managed to rank ninth in fWAR and eighth in bWAR.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Domenic View Post
                              In what world is C.J. Wilson an average pitcher?

                              This year, Wilson posted a 2.94 ERA (32% better than league-average), a 3.24 FIP (24% better than league-average), and a 3.41 xFIP (16% better than league-average). His strikeout rate, walk rate, K/BB, and groundball rater were all above-average, and by a considerable margin. He was fourth in the AL in fWAR and eight in bWAR. All this while pitching in a hitter's park - a more extreme hitter's park than Yankee Stadium, to boot.

                              Are you suggesting 2011 was a fluke? Fine. In 2010, his ERA, FIP, xFIP, K/9, and GB% were all above-average. He wasn't quite as good, to be sure, but it was also his first full season as a starting pitcher. Oh, and he still managed to rank ninth in fWAR and eighth in bWAR.
                              He had one good year big woo. Have u seen his postseason era this year 5.40 he got rocked in game 1 against the rays 6 runs he gave up 6 runs also to the tigers. All of them earned.By the way he gave up six hr this postseason. So yea I want a very good pitcher.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Darvish is unquestionably the best target. If he had the numbers he had this year in AA he would be a top prospect. In AAA he'd be Matt Moore. A far better pitcher than Dice K.

                                And anyone who suggests Fielded is smoking something.

                                Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X