Jorge Posada: next Yankee manager?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jorge Posada: next Yankee manager?

They say catchers make the best managers. We've certainly seen enough who have. So now that Jorge's retired, might it be possible he'll be a manager one day? I think he could pull it off. He's probably the best candidate out of the 'core four' to manage. Would he make a good Yankee manager?

How much longer is Girardi under contract?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    They say catchers make the best managers. We've certainly seen enough who have. So now that Jorge's retired, might it be possible he'll be a manager one day? I think he could pull it off. He's probably the best candidate out of the 'core four' to manage. Would he make a good Yankee manager?

How much longer is Girardi under contract?
    Possible but it would be a ways down the road. Plus Jorge was more of an offensive catcher. Never really seemed like much of a field general and a bit of a hot head.

I would not be surprised to see Mo come back some day as a pitching coach.

Comment

LOL. Yea I think Jorge would have to first spend a few years as a coach and bench coach to throw his hat in that ring. My thoughts would be Jeter doing that before Posada. I can see Jeter as like AAA maanger then 1st base coach then bench coach right after retiring.

But I am not sure anyone has any issues with Girardi. I think Joe has more than a few years left here.

Comment

i don't think that Jorge has either the smarts or the makeup to be a major league manager,and I don't think he's the type to pay his dues as a minor league skipper. He thinks too highly of himself. I see him as the future Yogi, coming down to spring training,showing his face and giving some advice to the younger guys.
        Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

Borderline superstars or superstars usually dont make good managers.

Usually, there are exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by The Korean View Post
            Borderline superstars or superstars usually dont make good managers.

Usually, there are exceptions.
            I would say in many cases that is true but I think it is a case by case basis. I mean Mattingly has to be considered in the superstar group...although won't be a HOFer...he was as good as there was when playing. I think he will be decent as a manager...because of his drive and game smarts. I think Jeter is kind of the same make up.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeRLA1968 View Post
              LOL. Yea I think Jorge would have to first spend a few years as a coach and bench coach to throw his hat in that ring. My thoughts would be Jeter doing that before Posada. I can see Jeter as like AAA maanger then 1st base coach then bench coach right after retiring.

But I am not sure anyone has any issues with Girardi. I think Joe has more than a few years left here.
              I see Jeter hawking coffee machines in retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by The Monument View Post
                i don't think that Jorge has either the smarts or the makeup to be a major league manager,and I don't think he's the type to pay his dues as a minor league skipper. He thinks too highly of himself.
                This ^

It's not the catcher position that makes a good manager, but I think the catching position attracts a lot of smart players.
                That being said, how much difference does a baseball field manager really make?

Comment

I would say in many cases that is true but I think it is a case by case basis. I mean Mattingly has to be considered in the superstar group...although won't be a HOFer...he was as good as there was when playing. I think he will be decent as a manager...because of his drive and game smarts. I think Jeter is kind of the same make up.
                  Jeter will never manage.

Comment

Originally posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
                    This ^

It's not the catcher position that makes a good manager, but I think the catching position attracts a lot of smart players.
                    That being said, how much difference does a baseball field manager really make?
                    I've heard maybe 4 games max but a bad manager can cost you more than that. Posada will never manage.

Comment

I don't see Jeter managing. He doesn't seem serious enough. I mean, he takes the game seriously, but that's when he's playing it. He's been a fine Yankee 'captain' but I don't see him doing anything but playing. Posada, OTOH, seems just the right type to be a manager.
                      It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

Originally posted by The Monument View Post
                        I see him as the future Yogi, coming down to spring training,showing his face and giving some advice to the younger guys.
                        Yogi Berra did serve as manager of both the Yankees and Mets as well as bench coach for the Astros.

How about David Cone as a future manager? He seems smart.
                        http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2011/0...d_stats_t.html
                        The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by lhslancers View Post
                          Jeter will never manage.
                          Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
                          I don't see Jeter managing. He doesn't seem serious enough. I mean, he takes the game seriously, but that's when he's playing it. He's been a fine Yankee 'captain' but I don't see him doing anything but playing. Posada, OTOH, seems just the right type to be a manager.
                          LOL. It is a mute point to try to prove in any rational fashion. I do find it humorous to discard him quickly funny. Jeter has mentioned life after playing baseball...as in getting into ownership and so forth. I am not sure where you get he is not serious enough??? I mean I can see him learning the ins and outs before going upstairs.

Much less Jeter's competitiveness is also well documented. He has mentioned growing up competing with his dad at board games and even the Price is Right. I don't see him just walking away. But just my opinion.

Has Posada ever mentioned a desire to coach or manage? I do not recall seeing anything from him about life after playing.

Comment

It is a mute point to try to prove in any rational fashion.
                            Homophones are a curse.
                            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

I was hoping for Jeter as a player/manager when Girardi is up.
                              Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X