Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Return of the Jedi (Andy Pettite)

Official, signs one year deal with the Yankees, 2.4 M

Pretty cool to have him back, hopefully he still has the stuff to pitch well in the big leagues/

Originally posted by The Korean View Post
    Official, signs one year deal with the Yankees, 2.4 M

Pretty cool to have him back, hopefully he still has the stuff to pitch well in the big leagues/
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...or-league-deal

From ESPN.Com

TAMPA, Fla. -- Left-hander Andy Pettitte is coming back to the New York Yankees.

Pettitte, who retired before last season, has signed a one-year minor league contract with an invitation to spring training, the team said. The deal is worth $2.5 million, baseball sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Pettitte started 21 games in 2010 for the Yankees, going 11-3 with a 3.28 ERA. He was 14-8 with a 4.16 ERA in 2009, his last full season.

Comment

And now for my opinion.

I absolutely hate this. You can't tell him "No", but seriously how is this good? The Yankees are at a crossroads to develop a super starting staff. I hate that he will take up a spot...14-15 wins is nice if he still has that much left in the tank but the Yankees have to find out what they have in Hughes and even Pineda.

So...
      CC
      Kuroda
      Pettitte
      likely Nova
      Then Pineda and Hughes for #5? Likely Hughes is the odd man out.

I don't like it. I think they are jerking Hughes career around again and possibly missing out on an opportunity. Does it make anyone else sick how good Ian Kennedy became once he left?

Comment

Whos to say Kuroda wont bomb. The guy pitched in NL West, worst hitting division in the league.

That division had nothing, aside from Matt Kamp.

Comment

...and this is exactly why the Yankees are in constant need of 'finding' free agent talent. The Front Office has a really hard time letting go of the past, which in turn does not allow an organization to bear the fruits of it's farm.

I hate this move! Why not look towards giving this spot to a youngster and develop him? Give a youngster the chance to experience Major League hitters, instead of looking for a retread.
          "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeRLA1968 View Post
            http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...or-league-deal

From ESPN.Com

TAMPA, Fla. -- Left-hander Andy Pettitte is coming back to the New York Yankees.

Pettitte, who retired before last season, has signed a one-year minor league contract with an invitation to spring training, the team said. The deal is worth $2.5 million, baseball sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Pettitte started 21 games in 2010 for the Yankees, going 11-3 with a 3.28 ERA. He was 14-8 with a 4.16 ERA in 2009, his last full season.
            I thought his family was the reason he was retiring in the first place. Would have been nice to know about this before they signed Kuroda right? I think he will do all right but at some point you have to let the younger guys sink or swim. This whole Core Four thing is totally out of control.

Comment

Andy was always one of my favorite players but this is stupid.

We need to give Hughes a shot. And we are paying Garcia 5m for what? Being our tenth best pitcher??

Comment

I hear Whitey Ford is rested and ready too.

Comment

Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
                  Andy was always one of my favorite players but this is stupid.

We need to give Hughes a shot. And we are paying Garcia 5m for what? Being our tenth best pitcher??
                  Garcia was always going to be the longman.

Comment

It could have been a lot worse.... Back in December the Yankees offered him $10-$12 million, but since he didn't have the desire to return yet, they signed Kuroda. Now if he bombs we only lose $2.5 million. Very low risk and adds depth to our pitching.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...e-signing.html

Comment

Originally posted by The Korean View Post
                      Garcia was always going to be the longman.
                      No. You do not pay a long man $5 M. Cashman vastly overrated the market for junk ballers.

Comment

Originally posted by quagmire View Post
                        It could have been a lot worse.... Back in December the Yankees offered him $10-$12 million, but since he didn't have the desire to return yet, they signed Kuroda. Now if he bombs we only lose $2.5 million. Very low risk and adds depth to our pitching.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...e-signing.html
                        If he would have signed in December the Yanks may not have traded Montero for tall Joba. Then we would have a bat for the middle of the lineup going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyStarks View Post
                          ...and this is exactly why the Yankees are in constant need of 'finding' free agent talent. The Front Office has a really hard time letting go of the past, which in turn does not allow an organization to bear the fruits of it's farm.

I hate this move! Why not look towards giving this spot to a youngster and develop him? Give a youngster the chance to experience Major League hitters, instead of looking for a retread.
                          Not to keep piling on but I this post is one of the best I have seen in quite a while. Halluleujah.

Comment

I say no,no,no,no and NO! Turning 40 this year? Injury prone? Yanks have a bunch of YOUNG pitchers ready to take over? Stay home Andy! Find a hobby,since the family that you wanted to be with is not cutting it for you. And how about Cashman?!? This sounds like another Clemens deal,or Randy Johnson, where they're banking on what a guy USED to be able to do. When does suzyn waldman start her gravelly voiced screeching about how great it is to have Andy back?
                            Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
                              If he would have signed in December the Yanks may not have traded Montero for tall Joba. Then we would have a bat for the middle of the lineup going forward.
                              I like the Pineda pick up and obviously the Yankees didn't feel the kid would be a good enough defensive catcher. They have quite a few older guys that will need to be slotted into the DH for a few more years. I think they always looked at Romine as the backstop. I would rather see the younger arms up to see exactly what they really have. Maybe they think Pettitte puts them over the top I do not.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X