Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankees captain Derek Jeter suggests Skip Bayless should check himself for HGH usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankees captain Derek Jeter suggests Skip Bayless should check himself for HGH usage

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8292798

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1142392

Yankees captain Derek Jeter suggests Skip Bayless should check himself for HGH usage
    'What do you want me to say?' Jeter asked. 'I ain’t getting involved with this, man. You can say whatever you want to say now, huh? There’s no repercussions.'

Bayless is believed to be the first national media member to raise the question about Jeter, though he did backtrack later , saying he has “no idea” whether or not the shortstop uses illegal substances.

“I am not saying he uses a thing; I have no idea,” Bayless said. “But within the confines of his sport, it is fair for all of us – in fact, you’re remiss if you don’t at least think about this.”

Bayless noted that Jeter’s 12 home runs this season are twice as many as he hit in 2011, but he added that the purpose of HGH is not to hit home runs but rather to stay on the field during the grind of the 162-game season.

“It’s not about hitting for distance; it’s about surviving,” Bayless said. “It’s about how quickly can you respond game after game after game; bouncing back. Longevity. He’s played, at age 38, in 121 of 123 games; he looks stronger to me, he looks a little quicker to me.

There was a lot of talk about, ‘He’s lost his range at shortstop; he’s lost his speed.’ Could it be natural? Sure it could be. I’m just saying he’s a victim of his game.”

Jeter called it “unfortunate” that somebody can go on television and make such insinuations, joking that Bayless might be the one in need of a drug test.

“Whenever you have people that anytime you bring something like this to light with guys that are doing things, it’s like, now you have everybody questioning everything,” Jeter said. “That’s the unfortunate thing. Maybe Skip should be tested.”
    Last edited by WEB; 08-22-2012, 08:09 PM. Reason: added Espn link to interview

Flat out complete support for Jeter here to the point Bayless should be sent packing by Espn permanently for even hinting at such slander.

You do not make such insinuations about anyone like that ever unless they fail a drug test whatever laundry they wear. Hopefully every member of the MLBPA who has never done anything but represent the sport with class and dignity blasts Bayless (along with every team management) who have never failed any test and given all they have to the sport on and off the field on all 30 teams.

The teams should even go as far as not allowing Espn media in their room as long as Bayless works at Espn.
    Last edited by WEB; 08-22-2012, 07:18 PM.

Comment

I used to kinda like this guy but I soured on him pretty fast. All he does is look for arguments or attention. This is just bad reporting and has turned ESPN into more of a joke.
      "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
        I used to kinda like this guy but I soured on him pretty fast. All he does is look for arguments or attention. This is just bad reporting and has turned ESPN into more of a joke.
        I would not use the word reporting because there is no report to confirm such insinuations, that is just slander. I don't care if Bayless said it about Jeter or the 25th man on the 39-84 Astros, it's wrong and completely inappropriate.
        Last edited by WEB; 08-22-2012, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Bayless is a gimmick that's playing a character on TV.

He without a doubt should be fired for that, but they won't, because they love what he does.

Yesterday he was even worse when talking about football.....He literally race-baited the whole Washington Redskins fanbase just to cause controversy.
          Last edited by Afterglow; 08-22-2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

I was gonna post this when it first came out.

We're in agreement here.

I think ESPN needs to either FIRE Bayless for making such baseless accusations or suspend him! I am so sick of his schtick already! He has no business in sports and I loved it when Mark Cuban put him in his place a couple months back.

I am not the world's biggest Jeter fan, but Jeter's name has never been liked to PEDs and to just make idiotic baseless statements insinuating otherwise is beyond the pale! On this I will defend him harder than some do here!

Skip Bayless has to go!!!
            "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Skip Bayless could get hit by a bus and I'd be totally cool with it. The guy is a waste of air.
              My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
              2. Barry Bonds
              3. Ty Cobb
              4. Ted Williams
              5. Willie Mays
              6. Alex Rodriguez
              7. Hank Aaron
              8. Honus Wagner
              9. Lou Gehrig
              10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Bayless is arguably the worst at what he does of any high-profile person at what he does. His comments were ridiculous, unprovoked, slanderous, and unprofessional. That being said, if we fired every reporter who slandered an athlete with little to no evidence by bringing up "talking points", we wouldn't have many of them left. Of course if they did start firing everybody, I would hope they start with him. His LeBron James crusade is equally as unprofessional and sickening.

Maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing?
                1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                  Bayless is arguably the worst at what he does of any high-profile person at what he does. His comments were ridiculous, unprovoked, slanderous, and unprofessional. That being said, if we fired every reporter who slandered an athlete with little to no evidence by bringing up "talking points", we wouldn't have many of them left. Of course if they did start firing everybody, I would hope they start with him. His LeBron James crusade is equally as unprofessional and sickening.

Maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing?
                  I don't like him and he does go way to far slandering Lebron James but I gotta admit he was right about him. At least alot of what he said about him was. He was the first guy to call out Lebron for quitting in the 4th quarter and he was doing this 5 or 6 years ago.

I don't see him really talk about baseball too much and thats why i'm surprised he would make such a remark against Jeter. There's not alot to talk about I guess when you feel you have to attack Jeter.
                  "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

I don't like him and he does go way to far slandering Lebron James but I gotta admit he was right about him. At least alot of what he said about him was. He was the first guy to call out Lebron for quitting in the 4th quarter and he was doing this 5 or 6 years ago.

I don't see him really talk about baseball too much and thats why i'm surprised he would make such a remark against Jeter. There's not alot to talk about I guess when you feel you have to attack Jeter.

Jeter needs to have his lawyers file a lawsuit for slander and defamation against ESPN, then ESPN would shut Bayless and his Twitter account down.
                    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

That's something in the normal province of sports discussion, it's fair game to discuss how someone performs during a sporting event whether it be positive or negative. It was fair game to label Jeter a cheater for faking getting hit by a pitch, and then blast him for his ridiculous defense of it afterwards but again that's all within the context of the game and reasonable.

Insinuating anyone is taking illegal or banned substances is not fair game or reasonable.

I'm also no fan of Steven A Smith saying you don't say that about Derek Jeter because the bottom line is you don't make such a remark about anyone unless you have proof.

Jeter absolutely did the right thing calling out that conduct and I could care less if Jeter called him on it or the worst active player in MLB.

Bayless was dead wrong. Hopefully every team and member of MLB calls for his resignation from Espn or boycott's their employees around the players until he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by WEB View Post
                        That's something in the normal province of sports discussion, it's fair game to discuss how someone performs during a sporting event whether it be positive or negative. It was fair game to label Jeter a cheater for faking getting hit by a pitch, and then blast him for his ridiculous defense of it afterwards but again that's all within the context of the game and reasonable.

Insinuating anyone is taking illegal or banned substances is not fair game or reasonable.

I'm also no fan of Steven A Smith saying you don't say that about Derek Jeter because the bottom line is you don't make such a remark about anyone unless you have proof.

Jeter absolutely did the right thing calling out that conduct and I could care less if Jeter called him on it or the worst active player in MLB.

Bayless was dead wrong. Hopefully every team and member of MLB calls for his resignation from Espn or boycott's their employees around the players until he's gone.

After watching the video he really didn't say Jeter was taking anything, he just said it has to make people wonder and he does have a point. Do I think Jeter is using: I would say no but is it possible he might be taking HGH, at this point it wouldn't surprise me. I think Stephen A. Smith acted more like a moron than Bayless did in the video.

Then again these were Skip Bayless's top 5 Yankees and Stephen Smiths top 5 Yankees.

Skip
                        1. Ruth
                        2. Gehrig
                        3. Mantle
                        4. Ford
                        5. Jeter

Smith
                        1. Ruth
                        2. Gehrig
                        3. Dimaggio...he gave him points for being married to Monroe
                        4. Mantle
                        5. Jeter

I think the fact Skip Bayless picked Whitey Ford over Joe Dimaggio is more appalling than his Jeter using steroids comment.

Comment

We are used to incredible ignorance by ESPN jokers. Half of them are not qualified to talk about SPORTS let alone baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by WEB View Post
                            Flat out complete support for Jeter here to the point Bayless should be sent packing by Espn permanently for even hinting at such slander.

You do not make such insinuations about anyone like that ever unless they fail a drug test whatever laundry they wear. Hopefully every member of the MLBPA who has never done anything but represent the sport with class and dignity blasts Bayless (along with every team management) who have never failed any test and given all they have to the sport on and off the field on all 30 teams.

The teams should even go as far as not allowing Espn media in their room as long as Bayless works at Espn.
                            When did Bagwell fail a test? Piazza? Bonds? Clemens? Lance Armstrong?

Point is no one knows who did not and you can't prove a negative.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
                              When did Bagwell fail a test? Piazza? Bonds? Clemens? Lance Armstrong?

Point is no one knows who did not and you can't prove a negative.
                              Only thing that matters is what the tests results show, that is how each individual should be judged. Any player who has failed a test is fair game, the rest are not nor are insinuations regardless of how they play.

As usual Bayless is getting hammered or defended among partisan media lines which is another sham.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X