1924 & 1925 Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1924 & 1925 Yankees

With the Yankees going to the World Series in 1921 and 1922, lsoing to the Giants, and finally winning the World Series in 1923, what happened to them in 1924 and 1925? In 1924 they were 89-63 - 2 Games behind the Washinton Senators, and really bad in 1925 69-85 - 28 1/2 games behind American League Champion the Washington Senators again. Why the dramatic drop off in 1925 from 1924? 1926 they were back on top of the American League with a 91-63 record, losing to the Cardinals in the World Series 4-3, and we all know about the 1927 Yankees.

Thanks,

James Sontag
    Axes grind and maces clash!

'23-'26Yanks-League.jpg

The short answer is Ruth wasnt Ruth that year. But thats not the complete answer because not even he could make up the difference.

Take a look at how the Yanks compared to league avg. They did their worst while the league had its highest.

Originally posted by jsontag View Post
    With the Yankees going to the World Series in 1921 and 1922, lsoing to the Giants, and finally winning the World Series in 1923, what happened to them in 1924 and 1925? In 1924 they were 89-63 - 2 Games behind the Washinton Senators, and really bad in 1925 69-85 - 28 1/2 games behind American League Champion the Washington Senators again. Why the dramatic drop off in 1925 from 1924? 1926 they were back on top of the American League with a 91-63 record, losing to the Cardinals in the World Series 4-3, and we all know about the 1927 Yankees.

Thanks,

James Sontag
    Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 05-17-2014, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Don't forget that the Babe,now being a member of the World Champion Yankees, was gorging on hot dogs and soda pop which hindered his play.
      Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

Originally posted by The Monument View Post
        Don't forget that the Babe,now being a member of the World Champion Yankees, was gorging on hot dogs and soda pop which hindered his play.
        The belly ache heard round the world.
        Axes grind and maces clash!

Comment

Don't forget, Yanks have never won the Series in a year ending in 4 or 5, making two appearances and losing both in '55 and '64. I don't believe in curses or jinxes but isn't it strange that those are the only two years that they've never won a Series?
          Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

Originally posted by jsontag View Post
            The belly ache heard round the world.
            A persistent rumor is syphilis, although I don't know if that's ever been proven.

Gehrig's first full year was in '26, BBRef's WAR thinks his development was worth almost 4 wins in itself.
            I remember looking at the '24-'25 dropoff before and I think most of the pitchers went south, which would match up with the ERA jump vs. league that Sultan noted.
            "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X