Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dwj21792 View Post

You just did.
    I appreciate that the Yankees returned to glory early in his ownership. But I think that was more despite him rather than because of him.
    I didn't like the headline grabbing. He seemed to like to see his name in print.
    i didn't like the circus atmosphere surrounding the ballclub.. IMO,that's no way to run a ballclub.
    I hated the way he treated managers. Houk, a very underrated manager IMO quit because of George 's meddling. He drove Berra away. And he treated Martin, one of the best of his time, shamefully.
    His treatment of players wasn't much better.
    These are just some of the reasons I've never liked King George.
    It is never good if an owner gets involved in the sports decisions, best he leaves that to the experts he hires. But financially he really was great for the yankees and he was also willing to put in the money instead of trying to save dollars and making more profit like Loria and many others.

in the end the most important thing a GM does is putting in the money, hiring a good GM and let him do his thing and for the most part he did that, although in some cases his ego probably got in the way.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

979*89**998
      Originally posted by dominik View Post

It is never good if an owner gets involved in the sports decisions, best he leaves that to the experts he hires. But financially he really was great for the yankees and he was also willing to put in the money instead of trying to save dollars and making more profit like Loria and many others.

in the end the most important thing a GM does is putting in the money, hiring a good GM and let him do his thing and for the most part he did that, although in some cases his ego probably got in the way.
      In Gabe Paul and Brian Cashman, he had two of the best. But I'm not sure King George always let his GMs do their thing. He certainly didn't with managers.
      Last edited by dwj21792; 08-20-2017, 08:16 PM.
      27 World Championships
      22 retired numbers
      Isn't it great to be a Yankee fan?
      Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best sport-Babe Ruth

Comment

George Steinbrenner was the Donald Trump of baseball. In other words, my opinion of him is very low!

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
          George Steinbrenner was the Donald Trump of baseball. In other words, my opinion of him is very low!
          At least king George never wanted to be President.
          27 World Championships
          22 retired numbers

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
            .......and just like Trump, I understand that some people will always think that Steinbrenner is great. (He built the Yankees into a winner after they had been down for a dozen years etc., etc.,etc... blah, blah, blah, blah).

Comment

With the passing of Gene MIchael we are reminded of steinblamers intentions to get rid of youngsters Bernie Williams. Mariano Rivera and Andy Pettitte. Such an astute baseball man,
              Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

Besides Steinbrenner, were there any other potential buyers of the Yankees in 1973?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Jeltz View Post
                  Besides Steinbrenner, were there any other potential buyers of the Yankees in 1973?
                  I know he had a number of partners at the start, including Nelson Bunker Hunt(Lamar's brother) and Mike Burke. But I don't know whether they would have bought the team without George.
                  27 World Championships
                  22 retired numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Death to Crawling Things View Post
                    McGregor, Martinez (and Rick Dempsey) were the big parts of the trade in 1976 to Baltimore and the Yankees got Ken Holtzman (who proved to be about done) and I really cant remember what else

Of course those 3 were pretty key for Baltimore for a decade. A 3rd SP (behind Palmer, Flanagan) a pseudo closer/late inning guy, and a quality defensive catcher.
                    Unfortunately this sweeping assertion ignores the context of how the Yankees were able to solidify winning the pennant in 1976 thanks to this trade. Both Holtzman and Doyle Alexander pitched well in 76 and Grant Jackson, whom they also got was much better out of the bullpen that year than Martinez was (going 6-0). Yes, the trade benefited the Orioles more in the long-run but Rick Dempsey was never going to get anywhere with the Yankees with Munson in front of him and you can't anticipate Munson's later death.

Last edited by epaddon; 09-26-2017, 12:51 PM.

Comment

I hated the way he treated managers. Houk, a very underrated manager IMO quit because of George 's meddling. He drove Berra away. And he treated Martin, one of the best of his time, shamefully.
                      His treatment of players wasn't much better.
                      These are just some of the reasons I've never liked King George.
                      Berra was his blackest mark (along with Dick Howser), but let's have a little context about Houk. If you took a poll of Yankee fans in 1973 the overwhelming majority of them wanted Houk gone. The team had been in first place at the All Star break and then did a total nosedive in the second half where they couldn't even finish above .500. The fans who attended the last game at the Old Stadium were largely chanting, "Goodbye Ralphie!" because after eight years of him at the helm in a constant rebuilding effort and when they were seemingly ready to turn the corner, the team seemed to keep going backwards. Houk was a great manager in the early 60s, but it was time for him to go regardless of whether George was meddling or not.

Comment

Originally posted by epaddon View Post

Berra was his blackest mark (along with Dick Howser), but let's have a little context about Houk. If you took a poll of Yankee fans in 1973 the overwhelming majority of them wanted Houk gone. The team had been in first place at the All Star break and then did a total nosedive in the second half where they couldn't even finish above .500. The fans who attended the last game at the Old Stadium were largely chanting, "Goodbye Ralphie!" because after eight years of him at the helm in a constant rebuilding effort and when they were seemingly ready to turn the corner, the team seemed to keep going backwards. Houk was a great manager in the early 60s, but it was time for him to go regardless of whether George was meddling or not.
                        Maybe. But I look at the job he did in the late 60's and early 70's as more of a reason to say he was underrated. I probably could have managed the 61 team to a championship, and I was 4 years old.Particularly the 2nd place finish in 70. That was a great job of managing.
                        Was he a HOF manager? Maybe not. But he was underrated.
                        27 World Championships
                        22 retired numbers

Comment

979*89**998

In Gabe Paul and Brian Cashman, he had two of the best. But I'm not sure King George always let his GMs do their thing. He certainly didn't with managers.
                          Gene Michaels was very good as well. I still can't believe he traded Fred McGriff. I know we had Donnie Baseball, but he could have used Fred at DH instead of one that looked like the US House of Representatives.

Comment

Maybe. But I look at the job he did in the late 60's and early 70's as more of a reason to say he was underrated. I probably could have managed the 61 team to a championship, and I was 4 years old.Particularly the 2nd place finish in 70. That was a great job of managing.
                            Was he a HOF manager? Maybe not. But he was underrated.
                            70 might have been a "great job" but not 72 and 73 when expectations were much higher, yet here was Houk still going with Horace Clarke at second base and also managing teams with second-half nosedives out of contention. Steinbrennner shouldn't be faulted for driving him away because all Yankee fans at the time were gladly holding the door open for him.

Comment

Originally posted by epaddon View Post

70 might have been a "great job" but not 72 and 73 when expectations were much higher, yet here was Houk still going with Horace Clarke at second base and also managing teams with second-half nosedives out of contention. Steinbrennner shouldn't be faulted for driving him away because all Yankee fans at the time were gladly holding the door open for him.
                              I wasn't necessarily holding the door for him. But I was somewhat indifferent about him leaving. I was a Yankee fan waiting for the return to glory. Houk might not have been the answer anyway. But neither he nor any other manager needed to have an owner telling him how to manage.
                              Gabe Paul was more responsible for the success later in the decade than Steinbrenner.
                              27 World Championships
                              22 retired numbers

Comment

Originally posted by TonyStarks View Post
                                Approved.

He took a fledgling franchise and returned them into a dynasty, and one of the premier franchises in all sports.

What more could fans ask of an owner? He wasn't just an owner, but he was also a fan and winning was the most important thing to him. While at times this proved to be a problem, for the most part it was a good thing.

I don't think I've ever met a Yankee fan who hated or had a problem with George.
                                This. Well, maybe some of the drama, remember Winfield? Overall, he wanted to win, at all costs, and with no patience or rules. So a more practical approach helps. Honestly, I think Hal, may be the best owner in the game today.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X