Not Killin' It Like his old man did

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Killin' It Like his old man did

I'm just wondering if a Yankees top pick has gone to waste. The Yankees can't be satisfied with the progress of Dante Bichette Jr. The Yankees top pick in 2011 (Sandwich pick between 1st and 2nd rounds) Bichette, who turns 24 before the end of this month, has taken six years just to progress to Double A Trenton/Eastern League where he posted lackluster numbers (9HR, 49 RBI, .243 batting average_) to go along with a .248 career minor league batting average in over 2350 at bats. He could very well be left unprotected and then claimed by another team in this December's rule 5 draft. He could also declare minor league free agency soon if he thinks he doesn't have much of a future in the Yankees organization.
    His father, Dante Bichette (Sr.), now age 52, was a frequent all-star in a 14 year MLB career from 1988 to 2001, where he hit .299 with 401 doubles, 1906 hits, over 1100 RBI, had over 150 stolen bases and slugged 274 home runs.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 09-16-2016, 07:58 AM.

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    I'm just wondering if a Yankees top pick has gone to waste. The Yankees can't be satisfied with the progress of Dante Bichette Jr. The Yankees top pick in 2011 (Sandwich pick between 1st and 2nd rounds) Bichette, who turns 24 before the end of this month, has taken six years just to progress to Double A Trenton/Eastern League where he posted lackluster numbers (9HR, 49 RBI, .243 batting average_) to go along with a .248 career minor league batting average in over 2350 at bats. He could very well be left unprotected and then claimed by another team in this December's rule 5 draft. He could also declare minor league free agency soon if he thinks he doesn't have much of a future in the Yankees organization.
    His father, Dante Bichette (Sr.), now age 52, was a frequent all-star in a 14 year MLB career from 1988 to 2001, where he hit .299 with 401 doubles, 1906 hits, over 1100 RBI, had over 150 stolen bases and slugged 274 home runs.
    He is a bust. Just like Cito Culver and most Yanks picks of that era.

Comment

If 'Ol Boss Bluster were still around he might have signed the old man.
      Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
        He is a bust. Just like Cito Culver and most Yanks picks of that era.
        do you think bichette might have been drafted because of his Name? It's ok to do that but not in the first round.

BTW his younger brother Bo bichette also was drafted in the second round this year. he did well in rookie ball for the blue jays in 2016. I read his father pushed their careers pretty hard and probably also had good Connections to Scouts. they both did hit for a lot of power in HS though, Dante jr. took part in that famous youth power Showcase where bryce harper hit that 500 foot shot as a 15 year old.
        Last edited by dominik; 10-13-2016, 03:38 AM.
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
          do you think bichette might have been drafted because of his Name? It's ok to do that but not in the first round.

BTW his younger brother Bo bichette also was drafted in the second round this year. he did well in rookie ball for the blue jays in 2016. I read his father pushed their careers pretty hard and probably also had good Connections to Scouts. they both did hit for a lot of power in HS though, Dante jr. took part in that famous youth power Showcase where bryce harper hit that 500 foot shot as a 15 year old.
          More likely got a boost as Girardi is friends with Dante Sr.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Bo has been really good so far but then again dante Jr was also very good in rookie ball and leveled off later.
            I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

MLB draft is really a crapshoot. What can you do?

Comment

Dante Bichette Jr. is back at (AA) Trenton/Eastern league this year and he's hitting about .160. He turns 25 in September. If he wasn't such a high draft pick (a sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd rounds) and if he wasn't given so much signing money by the Yankees he would have been gone by now. (The Front Office doesn't want to admit it made a mistake om Bichette in drafting him so high, paying him so much money etc.)
                Last edited by philliesfiend55; 05-04-2017, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Plenty of Yankees top pics have gone to waste lol, take a number.

I think the best draft they've had was probably 2006 when they got Ian Kennedy and Joba Chamberlain and if you ever get the chance check out what they got AFTER that. LOL
                  "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

"Plenty of Yankees top pics have gone to waste lol, take a number."

Brien Taylor -that was tragic and so preventable.

Comment

This is Dante Bichette's 7th minor league season which means he can be a minor league free agent after this year. My advice would be to take that option and join a new organization. He's already considered a major disappointment by the Yankees and he will benefit from a fresh start with ANY OTHER TEAM.

Comment

This is Dante Bichette's 7th minor league season which means he can be a minor league free agent after this year. My advice would be to take that option and join a new organization. He's already considered a major disappointment by the Yankees and he will benefit from a fresh start with ANY OTHER TEAM.
                        He's currently in AA ball and other than Rookie league, his numbers look pedestrian. I think he's done being looked at as a Yankee prospect. Looks like some pop in his bat, will strike out 100+ times a season, and the number of GIDPs indicates he lacks speed....big time.

Comment

seems like a bust at this point. still no yankee fan should complain about their farm system, it is really stacked now. some busts will happen in every system. I mean dante jr probably was taken a little higher in the draft than he should have been due to his name but the astros even had a zero out of a first overall pick passing on kris bryant and they did fine. picking and developing talent isn't an excact science but a numbers game.

Comment

Doesn't Bichette jr. have enough time in to become a minor league free agent. In his position I'd leave the Yankees for another organization. The Yankees have already got hjim labeled as a non-prospect. A fresh start with another team might do him wonders and help him finally reach "The Show".

Comment

Doesn't Bichette jr. have enough time in to become a minor league free agent. In his position I'd leave the Yankees for another organization. The Yankees have already got hjim labeled as a non-prospect. A fresh start with another team might do him wonders and help him finally reach "The Show".
                              I don't know if Jr. has what it takes to be in the big leagues. He's a solid fielder that could play SS and 3B, but is inconsistent at the plate. Moreover, with Didi doing well and Andujar moving up the ranks, Bichette needs to show some improvement now. Perhaps with another organization he may have a chance, but his diminishing numbers at age 25 does not bode too well. I think it's unfair to compare him to Sr. since they are different people. That being said, there must be pressure on Jr. based on his father being successful in the Show....maybe he should have a talk with Dale Berra.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X