2B: Willie Randolph, Tony Lazzeri
    3B: Alex Rodriguez, Graig Nettles
    SS: Derek Jeter, Phil Rizzuto
    LF: Roy White
    CF: Mickey Mantle, Joe Dimaggio, Bernie Williams
    RF: Babe Ruth
    SP: Whitey Ford, Andy Pettitte, Ron Guidry, Red Ruffing, Lefty Gomez
    RP: Mariano Rivera, Dave Righetti, Rich Gossage, Sparky Lyle, Johnny Murphy

How many games would this team win against 2016 competition if all of these Yankees players were together in their Yankees prime?

The way I see it is the starting rotation would be the best in baseball as would the bullpen. The lineup would be by far the best in baseball. Excellent bench as well. All that said 130 wins should be possible.
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego

Give me Cano over Randolph and T-Laz in a heartbeat.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

No Charlie Keller? He's criminally underrated. I'll take his monster offensive numbers (152 OPS+ in 4,446 PA with the Yanks) over Roy White any day.
      Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
        No Charlie Keller? He's criminally underrated. I'll take his monster offensive numbers (152 OPS+ in 4,446 PA with the Yanks) over Roy White any day.
        Yeah - Keller had quite the peak. Just fell of the face of the planet after it. I'd nudge him ahead of White too.
        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

No Reggie Jackson?

Comment

Originally posted by John Shoemaker View Post
            No Reggie Jackson?
            Jackson is usually considered to be an Athletic. He played about twice as many games for them as he did for the Yankees or the Angels. He certainly was good while he was with the Yankees, though.

Comment

Definitely would include Dellin Betances in the pen, too
              Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                Give me Cano over Randolph and T-Laz in a heartbeat.
                What about the only Yankee 2Bman to win an MVP, Joe Gordon?

Comment

1B Gehrig
                  2B Lazzeri
                  SS Jeter
                  3B Rolfe
                  LF Mantle
                  CF DiMaggio
                  RF Ruth
                  C Berra
                  SP Ford, Ruffing, Gomez, Reynolds, Guidry
                  RP Rivera,Gossage, Lyle, Arroyo, Murphy
                  The rest Martin, McDougald, Henrich, Howard, Bauer, Woodling,Williams

Martin and McDougald are my utility infielders because they can both play multiple positions. Henrich can spell Ruth in RF when the Babe has a hangover, and can fill in at 1B on the rare occasion that Gehrig needs a break. Ellie Howard is the backup catcher and can also play the outfield and pinch-hit. Not to be used as a pinch-runner, according to Casey. Imagine a team so great that Bernie Williams is on the bench? These are not the 25 all-time greatest Yanks, but it's how I would fill out my roster. Of course Dickey, Combs, Reggie, etc are hall of famers and would be among the 25 greatest.
                  Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

I'm thinking Gordon at 2B. Lots of greats to choose from, though.
                    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

I'd stick Earle Combs in there as well. He cannot sub-plant Mantle or Dimaggio, but you can currently stick him at DH.
                      Last edited by morpheus1776; 06-11-2017, 02:52 AM.

Comment

You could put a third team lineup out there that would at least be competitive with most teams' first teams. Yes it's great to be a Yankees fan.
                        Id put Pinella over White. Keller too. Meusel wasn't too bad either. Heck , put Yogi there to give his body an occasional break from catching.
                        Center field and catcher both have a depth no team can match at any position.
                        The bullpen lays everyone else 's to shame. And that's without Wilcy Moore, Joe Page, and Ryan Duren. Not saying I'd replace any of the guys you have with any of them. It just amplifies the great bullpen history the Yankees have.
                        27 World Championships
                        22 retired numbers
                        Isn't it great to be a Yankee fan?
                        Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best sport-Babe Ruth

Comment

Originally posted by Sockeye View Post
                          C: Yogi Berra, Bill Dickey
                          1B: Lou Gehrig, Don Mattingly
                          2B: Willie Randolph, Tony Lazzeri
                          3B: Alex Rodriguez, Graig Nettles
                          SS: Derek Jeter, Phil Rizzuto
                          LF: Roy White
                          CF: Mickey Mantle, Joe Dimaggio, Bernie Williams
                          RF: Babe Ruth
                          SP: Whitey Ford, Andy Pettitte, Ron Guidry, Red Ruffing, Lefty Gomez
                          RP: Mariano Rivera, Dave Righetti, Rich Gossage, Sparky Lyle, Johnny Murphy

How many games would this team win against 2016 competition if all of these Yankees players were together in their Yankees prime?

The way I see it is the starting rotation would be the best in baseball as would the bullpen. The lineup would be by far the best in baseball. Excellent bench as well. All that said 130 wins should be possible.
                          I think the Red Sox starting rotation with Grove, Pedro, Cy Young and Clemens would be stronger.
                          Each time I read about Bill Dickey, I can't help but think if he had started his major league career a few years earlier he would have been part of that 1927 team. I wonder how many more games that team would have won.
                          Last edited by morpheus1776; 06-12-2017, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus1776 View Post

I think the Red Sox starting rotation with Grove, Pedro, Cy Young and Clemens would be stronger.
                            Each time I read about Bill Dickey, I can't help but think if he had started his major league career a few years earlier he would have been part of that 1927 team. I wonder how many more games that team would have won.
                            I think he is comparing each team with the teams of 2016. Of course the Sox rotation you mention is better than the Yankees rotation above. I can't imagine too many teams that would top it. But that's not what he is saying.
                            The Yankees would still murder the Sox and everyone else in the pen.
                            27 World Championships
                            22 retired numbers
                            Isn't it great to be a Yankee fan?
                            Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best sport-Babe Ruth

Comment

Originally posted by dwj21792 View Post

I think he is comparing each team with the teams of 2016. Of course the Sox rotation you mention is better than the Yankees rotation above. I can't imagine too many teams that would top it. But that's not what he is saying.
                              The Yankees would still murder the Sox and everyone else in the pen.
                              I see. I'm playing Devil's advocate here and putting the best Red Sox rotation. I think the Sox all-time starting rotation would be one of the best ever. I think the Yankees have the edge on having the best over all hitters though -providing the Yanks get Ruth. Even with Williams, Foxx, Yaz, Petey, and Manny they are not as good as a team...BTW does Ortiz count? He does not have enough games at 1st to truly qualify. Nomar and Smokey Joe both had too short a career to truly make a conclusion. That all time Yankee roster looks spooky to face in any generation; if the 1927 team had "Murder's Row", this one might be named "Serial Killer" team.
                              Last edited by morpheus1776; 01-14-2018, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X