A's sign Keith Foulke for 2008!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A's sign Keith Foulke for 2008!

Wow, i thought Keith was long gone, but he's coming out of retirement to pitch for the A's in 2008! Wes Bankston, a former big prospect, who was claimed on waivers from the Royals was sent to the River Cats to make room for Foulke!
    http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/new...=.jsp&c_id=oak

It's a good signing, but for a team that is clearly rebuilding, it's a little odd. Unless they are planning on trading Street and need someone with some experience to fill the void, I'd rather see them give the set-up role to a young pitcher who can grow into the role. I think it probably would have made more sense for him to sign with a contender.

Still, given the success Percival had once he returned, I could see Foulke being a very good signing for the A's.
    www.rotoprofessor.com a daily baseball blog featuring rankings, rookie reviews, news and much more. Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Rotoprofessor View Post
      It's a good signing, but for a team that is clearly rebuilding, it's a little odd. Unless they are planning on trading Street and need someone with some experience to fill the void, I'd rather see them give the set-up role to a young pitcher who can grow into the role. I think it probably would have made more sense for him to sign with a contender.

Still, given the success Percival had once he returned, I could see Foulke being a very good signing for the A's.
      dear god, i hope your not right. but in my gut i think you might be.
      GO A'S! 2008 AL WEST CHAMPIONS!:gt

Comment

I wish him the best. He's not going to be at the top of his game, but he'll be going 100% all the time, I can tell you that.

Comment

Wow. Didn't see this one coming at all. He's probably a little rusty but could make a good set-up man. I was hoping the A's would make an offer to ex-Astro and Rockie Mike Gallo- guess not.
          WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

Hopefully they have him slated for the setup role; I would hate to see the A's trade another great pitcher away in Huston Street this offseason.
            sigpic
            Trusted Traders: MadHatter, card-closure-man, duckydps, Rockhound, huberfan, AutographCollector, bravesautographs, CardinalMike

My Wantlist/Tradelist

Check out my eBay auctions, username hudsonharden

Comment

It's a good signing, but for a team that is clearly rebuilding, it's a little odd.
              My thoughts exactly.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

Originally posted by Rotoprofessor View Post
                It's a good signing, but for a team that is clearly rebuilding, it's a little odd.
                Not so much, really, Veteran reclamation projects make good fodder for a rebuilding team as a low-risk, high-upside signing because in the worst case scenario there's nothing for them to kill, and if they come all the way back they're trade bate at the all star break. At least they're something for people to go see other than a ton of newbie mistakes.

Comment

Fair enough. I can see the arguement that they just want to build him up in order to deal him down the line. Personally, I'd rather see them do that with a position player (Mike Sweeney anyone) as opposed to a reliever. Pitchers tend to need time at the major league level to mature and grow into a role (not all, but a decent amount). I'd rather just see them use their young pitchers in a set-up role, as opposed to a veteran like Foulke.
                  www.rotoprofessor.com a daily baseball blog featuring rankings, rookie reviews, news and much more. Check it out!

Comment

They're not gonna rush kids just to get them the experience of losing major league games, though. If a kid is ready in a rebuilding year I'm sure that the A's won't stiff him in favor of a veteran but you do have to fill a 25 man roster and no team has 25 major league ready prospects. That's where Foulke and Sweeney come in.

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
                      Not so much, really, Veteran reclamation projects make good fodder for a rebuilding team as a low-risk, high-upside signing because in the worst case scenario there's nothing for them to kill, and if they come all the way back they're trade bate at the all star break.
                      I couldn't agree more. Foulke has been a great pickup and a pleasant surprise to the bullpen. I seriously thought he would struggle some after a 2 yr layoff.

But hopefully he doesn't get traded at the break, which means we're still in contention. :crossfingers:

Comment

Originally posted by street_thug View Post
                        I couldn't agree more. Foulke has been a great pickup and a pleasant surprise to the bullpen. I seriously thought he would struggle some after a 2 yr layoff.

But hopefully he doesn't get traded at the break, which means we're still in contention. :crossfingers:
                        Given the A's love of closers....Street will be the more likely one to be dealt. Foulke is just insurance in case Street is dealt for a RH power bat.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X