X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnny
    replied
    hard to believe

that someone could fall off so fast barring a career ending injury.
    you would think at least his defense would hold up.
    but your right, we all got snookered on that deal.
    i recall looking up his stats and listening to the talk thinking,
    'wahooooo! at least we don't have to look at ben davis anymore.'

Leave a comment:

• Edgartohof
    replied
    Originally posted by leecemark
    --I agree the deal hasn't worked out that well. It seemed like a good one for the Ms at the time though and I can't really fault Bavasi for Oliva turning into a pumpkin.

Well, if he wasn't so much of a fruit himself...

(and yes - a pumkin is a fruit)

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    --I agree the deal hasn't worked out that well. It seemed like a good one for the Ms at the time though and I can't really fault Bavasi for Oliva turning into a pumpkin.

Leave a comment:

• johnny
    replied
    garcia impact

amen brother. i still can't believe we fell for that so called 'catcher' we got sent in the deal. that still shakes my confidence in bravasi.

Leave a comment:

• Mariner Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by charlesTG126
    I'm getting the feeling that if moved to CF, Ichiro would begin to struggle. I've noticed that his hustle in the field has been lackluster at best, and he doesn't dive or climb walls. Yes, he's jumped walls, but he doesn't climb them, meaning he can only get to balls which clear by 1-2 inches.

Even though he played CF for all 7 of his seasons in Japan, he doesn't strike me as a highlight-reel centerfielder like we've had in the past (Griffey -> Cameron -> Reed).
    Ichiro does climb walls as we saw last year but he doesn't dive for balls like Reed. I guess he doesn't think it's worth the risk for injury. BTW, trading Reed would be a big mistake. He is the only good thing from the Freddie Garcia trade and we are going to trade him for Arroyo who is half as good as Freddie was?
    Last edited by Mariner Fan; 01-15-2006, 11:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ichiro262
    replied
    i think you should have read that over before you posted it

Leave a comment:

• charlesTG126
    replied
    re:ichiro

I'm getting the feeling that if moved to CF, Ichiro would begin to struggle. I've noticed that his hustle in the field has been lackluster at best, and he doesn't dive or climb walls. Yes, he's jumped walls, but he doesn't climb them, meaning he can only get to balls which clear by 1-2 inches.

Even though he played CF for all 7 of his seasons in Japan, he doesn't strike me as a highlight-reel centerfielder like we've had in the past (Griffey -> Cameron -> Reed).

Leave a comment:

• ichiro262
    replied
    We (meaning everybody else here and me) seem to disagree on Arroyo's talent. That's fine. I mean, I've seen the guy pitch and he really does have some impressive stuff. I'm one of Gil Meche's biggest fans, but I think he's hit a ceiling in Seattle. I really don't think he's going to get much better without a change of scenery. I mean I think it would be a great deal, but whatever.
    But what I don't get is people are sitting here talking about how the defense would suffer without Reed. To you people I say: ICHIRO!!! He is twice the defensive outfielder that Reed is. Putting him out in CF would be a vast improvement. And Matt Lawton is a great right fielder. Basically, I think he is better in right than Reed is in center. Lawton has a career fielding percentage of .984 over a 10 year career. That's outstanding.
    Reed's fielding percentage is better, but he's played for one year -- so it's not really comparable. Talk to me when he's done it for 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• whatlyahave
    replied
    The Mariners need a defensive center fielder of Reed's caliber in Safeco field. Granted, he was subpar offensively, but I think trading him for a marginally good pitcher like Arroyo would be idiotic (is he really that much better than marginally good Piniero or Meche?), unless they have a logical centerfielder replacement plan.

I wouldn't move Ichiro to center unless he suggested it. The guy is a gold glover and owns Safeco's right field. Much of his game as a hitter is his speed. He is in his thirties now. How much longer can he be effective with his unique batting style? Why burn him out chasing down fly balls in center?

Also, I believe Jamal Strong is no longer in the organization. There was a guy up from AA San Antonio named Jaime Bubela late last year. He would be the only viable prospect I can think of to take over for a possible Reed departure.

Reed is not my favorite, but his defense saves runs and increases pitchers confidence. Two things that a mediocre-to-good team needs to win ballgames.
    Last edited by whatlyahave; 01-09-2006, 12:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    --That was pretty cool. How did you do that?

Leave a comment:

• Edgartohof
    replied
    Originally posted by ElHalo
    I guess you didn't take my advice in the last line of that post...

how very clever of you

Leave a comment:

• ElHalo
    replied
    --He'll be 29 this month and has only had brief flashes of excellence. Last year was his first full year in the rotation and he was league average. I assume you're joking about him as a future hall of famer.
    I guess you didn't take my advice in the last line of that post...

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    --He'll be 29 this month and has only had brief flashes of excellence. Last year was his first full year in the rotation and he was league average. I assume you're joking about him as a future hall of famer.

Leave a comment:

• ElHalo
    replied
    --Yeah, Arroyo is a decent back of the rotation starter or middle releiver. I'd be willing to give up Meche for him. I wouldn't give up Reed and certainly not Meche and Reed.
    I think you guys are vastly underestimating Bronson I mean Carlos Pinchot I mean Arroyo (possibly my favorite broadcasting moment ever was when Paul O'Neill, in the middle of a broadcast on YES, called him Bronson Pinchot). He had some hiccups last year, but he's definitely a solid frontline starter. He's not quite Johan Santana level, but he's got the potential to be one of the top 5 or 6 starters in baseball. I think Boston would get the bad end of an Arroyo for Meche/Reed deal... I think Boston would get the bad end of an Arroyo / Ben Sheets & Geoff Jenkins deal, as I heard on SonsofSamHorn a while back. I'd easily take Arroyo over anybody on the Yankees roster... the guy's a potential Hall of Famer.

Please note: the foregoing was completely sarcastic, and based solely on the representations of my Red Sox fans friends, who view Arroyo as one of the top 5 pitchers in the American League. You've been notified.

Highlight this whole post if you don't believe me.

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    --Yeah, Arroyo is a decent back of the rotation starter or middle releiver. I'd be willing to give up Meche for him. I wouldn't give up Reed and certainly not Meche and Reed.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X