X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobby_Ayala
    replied
    Originally posted by Trickyhop View Post
    I meant 56. I even said 56 in my previous post, thanks for noticing the typo. Fixed.
    Well, the streak stopped at 27. Still, he broke his own Seattle record. :applaud:

Leave a comment:

• Trickyhop
    replied
    Originally posted by Bobby_Ayala View Post
    Who hit in 65 consecutive games?
    I meant 56. I even said 56 in my previous post, thanks for noticing the typo. Fixed.

Leave a comment:

• Bobby_Ayala
    replied
    Originally posted by Trickyhop View Post
    Well, he's got a 25 game hit streak, and if he continues to get hits like he is now, he can beat the 65 game hit streak! Honestly, if he gets this done along with another 200 hit season, IMO, he'd be a shoe in for the HOF.
    Who hit in 65 consecutive games?

Leave a comment:

• dominik
    replied
    con:
    -late start= not the longest career
    -lack of power and walks limit his value for the team a little (lower OPS-esp. for an offensive position)
    -"easy" defensive position

pro:
    -has a batting title and hits vry consitently on a high level
    -holds several hit records
    -mvp title+allstar game in every year he played
    -plus-plus defender on his position
    -great fanbase and media coverage which will help him along with the fact that he was the first jap. star in the majors

I think he needs to keep the pace uo in this season and then add another 200 hit season(as I wrote in another thread). This will tie pete rose for most 200 hit seasons with the difference that Ichiro did that in his first ten years.

This will make him a lock and at this point his numbers in japan will help him. But he needs to put together ten really strong seasons(has 8 and a half already).

Leave a comment:

• Trickyhop
    replied
    Well, he's got a 25 game hit streak, and if he continues to get hits like he is now, he can beat the 56 game hit streak! Honestly, if he gets this done along with another 200 hit season, IMO, he'd be a shoe in for the HOF.
    Last edited by Trickyhop; 06-04-2009, 04:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Edgartohof
    replied
    Ichiro; age 27-34

Games - 1280
    Runs - 885
    Hits - 1805
    SB - 315 (82%)
    BA - .331

Gwynn; age 27-34

Games - 1083
    Runs - 639
    H - 1434
    SB - 169 (73%)
    BA - .338

Matches up fairly well to a clear Hall of Famer . . .

And Ichiro is not done yet, as he should be reaching 2000 career hits in the MLB this season!

That's 2000 hits in LESS than 10 years - that is unheard of!!!
    Last edited by Edgartohof; 05-26-2009, 10:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Seattle1
    replied
    Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    Despite his late start, don't count Ichiro out as far as reaching 3,000 hits in the American Major Leagues.
    I agree 3,000 MLB hits is a distinct possibility, but he's got to stay healthy and play into his 40s. The way he keeps in shape it certainly seems possible. We'll see!

Leave a comment:

• philliesfiend55
    replied
    'He Can Do EET'!

If Ichiro remains healthy and in the lineup fo the rest of the season, he may reach 2,000 hits by the final weeks of the season (in only 9 major league years for an average of about 222 or 223 hits per year). Add his 1250 plus hits in Japan and I think we're looking at our first combined International Hall Of Famer (experience in the USA plus at least one foreign country).
    Despite his late start, don't count Ichiro out as far as reaching 3,000 hits in the American Major Leagues. The man is a "Hit Machine".

-philliesfiend55-

Leave a comment:

• Trickyhop
    replied
    Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post
    Let's say he ends up with numbers something like this:

Hits: 2,700

Runs: 1,330

Doubles: 300

Triples: 100

Home Runs: 110

RBIs: 710

Walks: 570

Intentional Walks: 190

Stolen Bases: 475

Career Average: .325

Some pretty decent numbers, but nothing that is super-spectacular I guess. (I think he could actually potentially end up in the top ten all-time for IBBs, though 190 wouldn't do it.)

But then there's all the other factors. First full-time Japanese MLB position player. ROY & MVP his first year. All the ASGs & GGs. Beating George Sisler's record. Beating (hopefully) Wee Willie Keeler's record this year. Etc., etc., etc. If he gets Keeler's record this year, then plays at least ten years (and hopefully more like 12-15), and gets anywhere near the hypothetical projected numbers above, I don't see how he can not make it. Unless he tests positive for steroids. If that happened I wouldn't want him in the HOF.

Plus his impressive resume in Japanese baseball. I assume he will get at least a little bit of credit for that.
    I'd love to see Ichiro add beating the 56 game hit streak to his resume. That'd be impressive, and I really think if anyone can do it, it's him.

Leave a comment:

• Sarcasmos
    replied
    Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    I think with such low standards for hits you should at least show some power or play a premium position. Plus, he really does not get on base an exceptional lot. A career OPS+ of 116 puts him in a league with Milton Bradley, Ken Caminiti, Eric Chavez, John Jaha, Thurman Munson, Roberto Alomar, Bill White, Alfonso Soriano, Paul Konerko and Lou Whitaker among others.

Some played challenging enough positions to warrant consideration. Munson's career was tragically cut short as well. But I do not think with that number out there, he should be in the HOF as a RF.
    Defense needs to be counted, too.

UZR has him at 78.8 runs above average since 2002. That's with time in both RF and CF. 7+ years, there is no data for 2001. That tacks on more than a whole extra win per season.

I'm not going to make any personal thoughts on his potential candidacy yet. He hasn't even reached the required 10 years yet. However, I do think this point should be added. :twocents:
    Last edited by Sarcasmos; 05-13-2009, 08:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NJYankeeFan
    replied
    Originally posted by jalbright View Post
    That's about another 10 years, and you should know darned well he's unlikely to meet that standard. The truth is, historically, guys with over 2900 MLB hits always make the HOF. I also can't find any cases where an outfielder with a career average over .300 and at least 2800 career hits has failed to make the Hall. It is also true that no matter the era (even the offense heavy early to mid 1890's or 1925-35), outfielders with .300 career averages and 2100-2800 career major league hits have made the HOF 12 out of 16 cases where none of the outfielders slugged over .480 for his career. If Ichiro can make the 2100 hit mark, he's qualified by that standard without giving him a blessed thing for his excellent performance in Japan--and he deserves at least a little. I mean, he didn't pop out of the womb able to hit like he did when he entered the majors--that skill was developed in Japan and honed for several years there before he came over--and he didn't have much choice until the last year or so of his time there. If you want to say Ichiro has to make it to 2100 hits and keep at least a .300 average, I understand your position. But asking for more than that is patently unfair.

Jim Albright
    I think with such low standards for hits you should at least show some power or play a premium position. Plus, he really does not get on base an exceptional lot. A career OPS+ of 116 puts him in a league with Milton Bradley, Ken Caminiti, Eric Chavez, John Jaha, Thurman Munson, Roberto Alomar, Bill White, Alfonso Soriano, Paul Konerko and Lou Whitaker among others.

Some played challenging enough positions to warrant consideration. Munson's career was tragically cut short as well. But I do not think with that number out there, he should be in the HOF as a RF.

Leave a comment:

• Seattle1
    replied
    Let's say he ends up with numbers something like this:

Hits: 2,700

Runs: 1,330

Doubles: 300

Triples: 100

Home Runs: 110

RBIs: 710

Walks: 570

Intentional Walks: 190

Stolen Bases: 475

Career Average: .325

Some pretty decent numbers, but nothing that is super-spectacular I guess. (I think he could actually potentially end up in the top ten all-time for IBBs, though 190 wouldn't do it.)

But then there's all the other factors. First full-time Japanese MLB position player. ROY & MVP his first year. All the ASGs & GGs. Beating George Sisler's record. Beating (hopefully) Wee Willie Keeler's record this year. Etc., etc., etc. If he gets Keeler's record this year, then plays at least ten years (and hopefully more like 12-15), and gets anywhere near the hypothetical projected numbers above, I don't see how he can not make it. Unless he tests positive for steroids. If that happened I wouldn't want him in the HOF.

Plus his impressive resume in Japanese baseball. I assume he will get at least a little bit of credit for that.

Leave a comment:

• Trickyhop
    replied
    He's in. The only reason he's marginal now is cause he plays for the M's who haven't reached the playoffs in for-freakin-ever. We can thank Bavasi for that, not Ichiro.

Leave a comment:

• JimmieFoxxFan
    replied
    Of course...

Leave a comment:

• Seattle1
    replied
    Originally posted by BoSoxDieHard34
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him there someday, but I think its too early to tell.
    Yep, I agree, but he is obviously positioning himself very, very well for the HoF. I hope he can keep it up for another 10 years. And I hope he does it all with the Mariners! :gt

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X