What about this trade??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about this trade??

I just made this trade up, but i think it would serve both parties involved well:

Red Sox get: Jeremy Reed, Mike Morse
    M's get: Andy Marte, minor leaguers

The sox fill both immediate holes in their lineup at SS and CF. M's get a stud in marte, who could start out in the minors. Granted, we do have a thirdbaseman in Beltre, but both guys are good fielders, and eventually (when marte is ready to play fulltime) move one to first and put richie at DH. Just a though, and maybe they could tweak it to include Clement/Arroyo. I realize it's unlikely, but it would be great to get a stud prospect like Marte. Besides, it appears that the Mariner's won't be able to utilize Morse with the middle of their infield set and a competant backup already in place with Bloomquist. Finally, it is believed that Morse superceeded his true potential, and this would be a classic sell-high trade.

Anyways, what are your guy's thoughts on this trade, and feel free to toss out some trade ideas of your own.

I have never liked Marte...too many strikeouts in the minors...he reminds me a bit of Dallas McPherson, another supposedly can't miss third base prospect who I don't think has much of a chance...

And I think the Red Sox intend to keep Marte and play him at third after Lowell goes away.

I guess the deal you propose would be OK...Marte is probably a better talent than reed...but...we'd be short an outfielder...if we did something like that we'd essentially be waving a white flag for this season and playing for 2008 (not even 2007)

Comment

As you guys may have noticed from my other posts I'm not a huge fan of Jeremy Reed, so I would not be apposed to losing him and Morse for Marte and Arroyo/Clement.

Comment

Why would we trade Morse/Reed for Marte? How is that even close to fair? Marte is nowhere near ready to be up in the Majors. Reed isn't at the top of his game yet, but he already has a halfway decent rookie year under his belt, and shows some promise with the bat, all the while playing near GG level CF! And we'd have to give up Morse, who could turn out to be a decent bat as well, all for a 3Bman who is still a couple years away from being a full time player, and need less to say that we already have someone at 3B in beltre, who even with his lackluster year in '05, is light years ahead of Marte. I can't even fathom how someone could come up with a trade like this. It goes beyond being a one-sided trade into disrespectful to the players and team.

Comment

OK. I think Reed was a flop, but only time will tell. Everything I read leading up to his debut was that he would fit in immediately. He couldn't hit out of the two spot (personally I'd rather see Betancourt, Lopez or Ibanez there) and he has a glass arm. But that's up for debate. What's not up for debate is Andy Marte's talent. Yes, he strikes out a lot but so do a lot of otherwise good hitters (Sosa, Dunn, etc.). And Boston obviously sees something in him if they were willing to lose Renteria and $10 million to get him.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgartohof
            Why would we trade Morse/Reed for Marte? How is that even close to fair? Marte is nowhere near ready to be up in the Majors. Reed isn't at the top of his game yet, but he already has a halfway decent rookie year under his belt, and shows some promise with the bat, all the while playing near GG level CF! And we'd have to give up Morse, who could turn out to be a decent bat as well, all for a 3Bman who is still a couple years away from being a full time player, and need less to say that we already have someone at 3B in beltre, who even with his lackluster year in '05, is light years ahead of Marte. I can't even fathom how someone could come up with a trade like this. It goes beyond being a one-sided trade into disrespectful to the players and team.
            I don't see how this is disrespectful at all. If that's being disrespectful, then maybe this franchise needs a little more disrespect to get it going. The fact is that Marte was worth Edgar Rentaria for the Sox, who even ate a bunch of his salary. Reed is/will be a great player, but I feel Marte's potential greatly overshadows that of Reed. And Morse was impressive, but probably overachieved last year. Besides, it was just a suggestion geez

Comment

Renteria sucked last year...the Sox dumped him for a reason

Comment

Originally posted by KillaK
                I don't see how this is disrespectful at all. If that's being disrespectful, then maybe this franchise needs a little more disrespect to get it going. The fact is that Marte was worth Edgar Rentaria for the Sox, who even ate a bunch of his salary. Reed is/will be a great player, but I feel Marte's potential greatly overshadows that of Reed. And Morse was impressive, but probably overachieved last year. Besides, it was just a suggestion geez
                okay, I did come across a little harsher than I meant to - I appologize. But while Marte may become a fair player (you are a bit more opptimistic than me), why should we trade him for Reed (and Morse)? It MAY pan out in a few years, but especially in the here and now, it hurts us. We would be losing CF, and a decent bat off the bench. All for a player who is needs to spend the next 2 seasons in the minors? That is what I don't get.

Comment

--It might be an okay deal if we needed a 3B, but Beltre is going to be our guy there for at least several more years (hopefully a decade). Why create a hole in CF for a guy who would be playing at Tacoma and/or changing positions. Not that the Red Sox are likely to be shopping Marte anyway.

Comment

Ok. I said this in another forum, but I'll say it again. Do you guys really think that Jeremy Reed is better NOW (flat out better) than Matt Lawton? That's the real question at hand. Becuase if Reed were traded Ichiro would fill in in CF and Lawton would play RF. I personally think that Lawton is much better than Reed is (now). So if you are going to play for the here and now, why not play Lawton?
                    P.S. Don't forget you get probably the 2nd best "prospect" in baseball right now as well in Marte (the only one with more hype is Lastings Millage).

Comment

Originally posted by ichiro262
                      Ok. I said this in another forum, but I'll say it again. Do you guys really think that Jeremy Reed is better NOW (flat out better) than Matt Lawton? That's the real question at hand. Becuase if Reed were traded Ichiro would fill in in CF and Lawton would play RF. I personally think that Lawton is much better than Reed is (now). So if you are going to play for the here and now, why not play Lawton?
                      P.S. Don't forget you get probably the 2nd best "prospect" in baseball right now as well in Marte (the only one with more hype is Lastings Millage).
                      Well, like I said, what can that "prospect" do for us? He can't hit in the Majors yet, whereas Reed can, and he is only going to get better, and where would Marte play? Not 3B - we've already got Beltre, who I expect will pick up some more power this year - Marte is a long ways from starting on almost anyones team, whereas many teams would love to have Reed.

And especially if Reed can just figure out LHP a little bit, then yes, I'd say Reed is better than Lawton. But I guess we'll see who's better this season. Either way, I'd still take Reed, as he is on his way up, whereas with Lawton - who knows. He might have a decent year, or he might not. Lawton is not a long term answer, while Reed certainly could be. with the bat, I'd expect them to be about the same next year, but Reed is better defensively, and with a little work, will be just as good on the bases (12 out of 23 isn't cutting it). You could platoon the two, but that doesn't really help us, as:

1. It doesn't give Reed a chance to get better at hitting LHP, and
                      2. I don't want Lawton in CF,
                      3. and if you platoon them, you'd have to put Ichiro in Center, and I don't want to have to switch Ichiro from RF to CF all the time. Of course you could move Ichiro to center permanently, but that also doesn't help us, as whether we like it or not, Ichiro will begin to lose some speed, and it would be better for Reed to stay in Center.

(sorry if that doesn't make sense, it seemed to work better in my head)
                      Last edited by Edgartohof; 01-14-2006, 08:18 PM.

Comment

--Lawton can't hit LHP either. He also can't throw, so RF is probably not an option (and he is a below average defender at this point of his career anyway). Reed might or might not turn out to be a better player than Marte in the long run, but he is clearly more valuable now.
                        -- Lawton was a nice pickup for the bench and it wouldn't be a disaster if he ended up playing alot due to injury or lack of performace by somebody else. It wouldn't be a good thing either and it isn't a situation we should deliberately create by trading Reed.

Comment

That all makes sense. I do feel, however, that the M's are fairly deep at positions the Red Sox are in dire need of (as of now, the Sox's starting CF is some guy named Adam Stern, and their SS is Alex Cora). Needless to say, those guys won't be the starters headed into spring training. The Sox brass have got to be feeling the heat from fans/media as now the Yankees are clearly in much better shape than the Sox (for 2006, at least), so maybe we could coax the Sox into overpaying for mediocre players. And besides, I hate to see Morse sitting on the bench in Seattle. He showed last year that he at least deserves the chance to start somewhere. And the M's infield is pretty much set for awhile it seems, so maybe that chance will have to come elsewhere.

And Marte was the guy I mentioned because he is their best prospect. You could plug in a pitcher like Lester or Paplebon or Hansen there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by KillaK
                            And Marte was the guy I mentioned because he is their best prospect. You could plug in a pitcher like Lester or Paplebon or Hansen there as well.
                            Still wouldn't take it. The way I see it, it helps them a lot, and doesn't do a whole heck of a lot for us (immediately anyways - Marte COULD turn into something).

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark
                              --Lawton can't hit LHP either. He also can't throw, so RF is probably not an option (and he is a below average defender at this point of his career anyway). Reed might or might not turn out to be a better player than Marte in the long run, but he is clearly more valuable now.
                              -- Lawton was a nice pickup for the bench and it wouldn't be a disaster if he ended up playing alot due to injury or lack of performace by somebody else. It wouldn't be a good thing either and it isn't a situation we should deliberately create by trading Reed.
                              P.S. A) he (Lawton) plays RF B) his lifetime fielding percentage is .984

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X