Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Seattle become a football town again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food
    replied
    Oh poopie:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5794972?FSO1&ATT=HMA

I know what Mariner Fan means. During the 80s, nobody went the Mariner games. Hell, there were fewer people at Gaylord Perry's 300th win than there were at his next start, Funny-Nose-Glasses Night. The Kingdome had all the charm of Lenin's tomb. And the teams totally sucked.

After the '89 season, Jeff Smulyan buys the team, puts to rest the idea of moving the team, and starts doing his marketing thing. Then, Griffey comes along. In 1990, suddenly going to see the Mariners was a Cool Thing To Do.

And it was instant. Opening Day 1990 had the largest regular-season crowd in Mariners history (the '79 All-Star Game was higher), Dave Valle was publicly marvelling at it, Harold Reynolds said at the time that the new clubhouse aura made him "feel like I've been traded." For the whole season, instead of 8-15K people, I'd see 20-25K people.

In '91, their first winning season felt like a playoff spot. The place went ape.
    Last edited by brewcrew82; 07-23-2006, 04:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• papa~smurf
    replied
    I still here people gripe about it. Not just Hawks fans either, Bengals fans, Rams fans, Cowboys fans, and even Steelers fans ("man, I didn't want to win this way") complain.

Leave a comment:

• Seattle1
    replied
    Originally posted by Ashburn1
    I've never heard so much whining in all my life as I have in Seattle today.

Seahawk fans are disgraceful the way they're carrying on. What a bunch of sore losers.
    It's not whining when it's true. That Super Bowl was a disgrace to the NFL and the sport of football, not just unfair to the Seahawks (which it most certainly was). I would be far more concerned if football fans were non-chalant about the biased officiating and acted like they didn't care. The NFL would be one step closer to professional wrestling.

Leave a comment:

• Rennie Stennett
    replied
    fair weather fans

One of favorites at Safeco, is Edgar is up in a one run game. There is a guy on second with one out and then there will be this migration to the garlic fries and starbucks coffee. Can't you people go between innings ? Season tickets were down a couple of years ago and they went out and signed Sexton and company. They will only sign guys if the numbers are down. The M's could have used another lefty and a right handed rbi guy a few years ago, but they would not budge. This lead to Sweet Lou leaving.

Leave a comment:

• The Semi-Natural
    replied
    Well Said

And it is true that the fans are still coming, but the lack of interest in the actual game on the field drives me nuts. There's always people around me much more interested in the boat races as you point out, or getting a "wave" started. It just doesn't seem to me that there's a whole lot of people in the stands who are actually baseball fans. It's just another family outing in the city, like going to the Space Needle, or watching them throw the fish at the Pike Place Market. Maybe I should be more tolerant, since without these people, we might not be watching major league baseball in Seattle at all, but when I'm trying to get into a game, all these distractions are really annoying.
    There are a lot of true baseball fans in the area. Many come from New York Boston, the east coast. Also, many are home-grown basball fans that grew up loving the game. With only 30 years of major league baseball in the area with only the last few years of having a contending team, I would say we are doing pretty well. Even with the last 3 or 4 years of sub-par teams, we still outdraw the "real baseball" fans in the mid-west and east coast. Again, I agree with you, the boat races and other distraction drive me absolutely insane! Hopefully we can sustain the momentum and keep the fans coming and get the revenue necessary for future contending teams. I am so tired of football and basketball on ESPN, can't wait for nightly "Baseball Tonight"

Leave a comment:

• Mariner Fan
    replied
    And it is true that the fans are still coming, but the lack of interest in the actual game on the field drives me nuts. There's always people around me much more interested in the boat races as you point out, or getting a "wave" started. It just doesn't seem to me that there's a whole lot of people in the stands who are actually baseball fans. It's just another family outing in the city, like going to the Space Needle, or watching them throw the fish at the Pike Place Market. Maybe I should be more tolerant, since without these people, we might not be watching major league baseball in Seattle at all, but when I'm trying to get into a game, all these distractions are really annoying.
    Ashburn, I've had the pleasure of watching baseball games in 5 or 6 different parks and see the uninterested fans in every park. Every time I go, I see some chick with her back to the game blabbing on her cell phone and thought how cool it would be if she would take a screaming foul ball off her noggin. I know it's wrong but I have thought it!

Leave a comment:

• Mariner Fan
    replied
    I hate to admit it but I was one of those guys who jumped to the winners. When the Seahawks had their run in 83 I was a crazy fan. Ground Chuck, made it to the AFC Championship Game. I was 24 and a huge Seahawk fan. BTW Kenny Easley should have his number retired!

I was also a Sonics fan since the 80's. I went to games in the old Coliseum. Man, I was so devistated in 94 when the Nuggets won in the first round. My wife still talks about my ranting and raving.

Now in 95 I went bezerk when the Mariners made their run and I'll never forget the playoff game against the Angles. Wow!

I think that if your from Seattle you will root for your City and teams. Of course when your team is contending you root even harder.

Now that I'm in my 40's I'm a baseball fan and of course follow the Mariners year round. Spring Training is just around the corner and our team will be back on the field. Life is good..:gt

Leave a comment:

• Ashburn1
    replied
    Originally posted by The Semi-Natural
    Now, even with the last few years of terrible teams, the region still has a love affair for the M's and it is often very difficult to find a good seat. It is truly good to see. The only thing that makes me puke is the boat races on the jumbo-tron and how they elicit more cheers than the freakin' game. But at least the fans are still coming.
    Last edited by Ashburn1; 02-09-2006, 09:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Semi-Natural
    replied
    Fooball vs. Baseball

I agree that Seattle has a base of fans for every sport and that the majority jump on board when there is a winner. That doesn't happen around here very often but it does now and then and the fans climb on board. I think the Mariners 1995 season woke up a sleeping giant so to speak around here. I remember in the early to mid-1980's there would be 5 or 6,000 fans in the Kindome for a Mariners game on a Friday night and after 2nd or 3rd inning you could sit anywhere you wanted. Now, even with the last few years of terrible teams, the region still has a love affair for the M's and it is often very difficult to find a good seat. It is truly good to see. The only thing that makes me puke is the boat races on the jumbo-tron and how they elicit more cheers than the freakin' game. But at least the fans are still coming.

The "Super Bowl" really showed me once and for all that baseball is a far superior game to football. No way those kind of blown calls happen in a seven game series. Sure there are bad calls in baseball but they even out over a series. The better team usually wins in baseball. I don't think the better team won on Sunday, but how will we ever know? The refs blew it. Last Sunday was a joke. A national embarassment.

Leave a comment:

• Goosenoggle Slipgear
    replied
    I've never heard so much whining in all my life as I have in Seattle today.

Seahawk fans are disgraceful the way they're carrying on. What a bunch of sore losers.
    Wow Seattle fans are the biggest whiners you've ever heard? And you come from Philly home of the notorious "Boo-birds?" You know I make no excuses there were some agonizing calls made in the game but the Seahawks beat themselves in a game they probably should have won. As for Seattle fans you've got realize they've never been in this situation before (excepting nba finals which is nothing compared to a Super Bowl), over the years there hasn't been a lot to cheer for in this city. For a lot of fans it's been pure heartbreak to not see a title of this magnitude in town. We don't get many chances like this. So give 'em a bit of a break I hope they just lost their championship virginity.
    And yes Seattle fans will back a winner over everyone else. It's true.

Leave a comment:

• johnny
    replied
    its been tough-hang on EdgarHOF!

Originally posted by Edgartohof
    I'll agree to that! I think I've been a little on edge because I'm going into baseball withdrawal, and it ain't good.
    I feel your pain. Much much better for us to have been blown out then to lose this way in the superbowl. h Crap. It's painful. Set the ref calls aside, and it is hard, we lost cause we didn't deliver. Stevens is not clutch. :grouchy
    Cause the Sonics are so poor -come back Nate all is forgiven!- we gotta make it through the next few weeks til baseball starts us anew. Man I am looking so forward to watching Johjima.

Leave a comment:

• Edgartohof
    replied
    Let's all just be happy that football season is finished and soon enough we'll be at the Safe enjoying "the perfect game".
    I'll agree to that! I think I've been a little on edge because I'm going into baseball withdrawal, and it ain't good.

Leave a comment:

• Ashburn1
    replied
    No prob.

Let's all just be happy that football season is finished and soon enough we'll be at the Safe enjoying "the perfect game".
    Last edited by Ashburn1; 02-06-2006, 08:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Edgartohof
    replied
    What do mean by that?
    Oh, sorry about that, I was posting something in the wrong thread, but they don't let you delete it and leave it blank once you submit it, there is a mandatory 10 characters minimum per post, and most (some) people here just put "nevermind.", I didn't mean anything by that, although I can see how that could come across.

Leave a comment:

• Ashburn1
    replied
    Originally posted by Edgartohof
    Nevermind.
    What do mean by that?

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X