Do you think Kyle Seager will be playing for the Mariners next season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seattle1
    Mariners
    • Jun 2006

Do you think Kyle Seager will be playing for the Mariners next season?

If he doesn't, there are two achievements in particular I would love to see Kyle Seager reach before the end of the 2021 season.

Number One: I would like to see Kyle Seager (280) pass Ichiro Suzuki (295) for third place in most doubles in franchise history. Barring injury, this one should be a slam dunk as he only needs 16 2Bs to pass Ichiro. The #1 and #2 2Bs hitters? Oh, nobody special, just Hall Of Famers Ken Griffey, Jr. (341) and Edgar "Mr. Doubles Machine" Martinez (514). (Imagine if he played for the Mariners in 2022 too -- he could potentially even pass Griffey!)

Number Two: I would like to see Kyle Seager (500) pass Jay Buhner (557) for third place in most extra base hits in franchise history. This one will be a little bit more of a challenge than the plain old doubles mark, but still quite doable for Seager. He would need to get 58 XBHs in 2021 to pass Buhner. He is certainly capable of hitting 30 2Bs and 30 HRs in one season (or 35 2Bs and 25 homers). And who knows maybe he will even throw in a 3B or two along the way somewhere. On the other hand, maybe it's possible he could slump his way to a somewhat subpar season. Here again, the #1 and #2 XBHs hitters are Griffey (788), and Edgar (838).

‘You just want to win’: Kyle Seager reflects on his career with the Mariners, being ‘overpaid’ and more

And barring something unforeseen, that time will end after the 2021 season. The seven-year, $100 million contract that he signed before the 2015 season will be done. Technically, the Mariners could bring him back by exercising a club option that would pay out a minimum of $15 million and up to $20 million for the 2022 season.

“That’s ultimately their decision,” he said. “Me worrying about whether they’re gonna pick up the option, not pick it up, that doesn’t help me go out and do my job.”

Even before now-former CEO Kevin Mather called him “overpaid” and said this would “probably be his last season as a Mariner,” Seager knew it was trending that way based on the team’s direction and financial thinking.

• Seattle1
    Mariners
    • Jun 2006

The nice thing is, Seager has already passed Alvin Davis in the 1Bs department this season, and will be passing Harold Reynolds too before too much longer. And as far as 2Bs, well he hit two last night and so is now only three behind Ichiro all-time. He will be leapfrogging a bunch of other Big Name guys in a bunch of other categories too as the season rolls along so that's pretty cool. Still 35 behind Buher in the XBHs category, but I think he will get there this season, provided he stays healthy. Probably won't be until the second half of September but I do believe he will get there.

Comment

• Seattle1
      Mariners
      • Jun 2006

With two hits and a B.B. yesterday, Seager has now passed Alvin Davis for fifth place all-time in T.O.B. Davis had 1,863 during his Mariners career, Seager now has 1,864. He won't pass Buhner (2,096) this year for fourth place though, but he could if he wound up playing for the Mariners again in 2022. Provided he stays healthy of course.

Comment

• Seattle1
        Mariners
        • Jun 2006

Well, Seager just passed Ichiro yesterday (6/19/21) for third-most doubles in team history, now behind only Edgar and Griffey. Yay congratulations! That was one of my main goals I mentioned in the O.P. Yahoo!!!

Seager now has 296 doubles to Ichiro's 295. And he did it well before the halfway point of the season. So at this rate he will probably wind up with about 35 doubles on the season, which would give him 315 for his career. For Seager, that would definitely be striking distance from Griffey's 341, if he were to in fact play for the Mariners again in 2022.

Comment

• Seattle1
          Mariners
          • Jun 2006

Well wasn't that interesting. Seager got four BBs in the game against the Angels tonight, a career high for him for one game!

Unfortunately it didn't result in him getting any Rs scored, and the Mariners lost to the Angels seven to four.

Also, it would have been cool if at least one of those BBs was an IBB, but they weren't. I would like to see Seager get at least two more IBBs before this season is over!

Last edited by Seattle1; 07-24-2021, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• Seattle1
            Mariners
            • Jun 2006

Kyle Seager can be a bit streaky at times and slumpy. But since the All-Star Game break he seems to have been heating up a bit, which is nice. While prior to the All-Star Game break I was starting to get a little nervous that he could actually start flirting with the Mendoza Line, he is now hitting .269 since then. That is above his career average, so that's nice. Also, he has six HRs for a 162-game pace of 70, 14 Hs for a 162-game pace of 163, 11 Rs for a 162-game pace of 128, 14 RBIs for a 162-game pace of 163, and 10 BBs for a 162-game pace of 116. He could actually potentially achieve the benchmark of 100 RBIs in one season for the first time in his career. Perhaps curiously, though, he is in the midst of a drought on 2Bs for some reason. He is usually a bit of a 2Bs machine. But this year he is actually hitting significantly more homers than 2Bs for some reason. It’s usually the other way around. (But he might also be on a pace for the most Ks in one season in his career too.)

Prior to the All-Star Game break I was starting to get a bit disheartened that he might not catch Jay Buhner this year for third-most XBHs in team history. But with the way he is hitting homers since then, and hopefully the 2Bs will start picking up again too as is normal for him, I again think he has a good chance of getting there before the end of the season. He is now only 17 XBHs behind Buhner, 557 to 540. He might end up cutting it a little close in September, but I now have renewed hope that he will get there. Passing Buhner in that category is one of the major goals I had hoped for for him at the beginning of the season.

Comment

• Seattle1
              Mariners
              • Jun 2006

In today's game (August 19th, 2021), not only did the Seattle Mariners sweep the Texas Rangers, but Kyle Seager accomplished the following:

He went 1 for 5 with a 2B, a BB, and 2 RBIs.

He passed Jay Buhner for fourth-most GPs in team history (1,441 to 1,440), behind only Edgar, Ichiro, and Griffey.

He hit his 300th career 2B! Congratulations!

He is now less than 10 XBHs away from Jay Buhner for third-most XBHs in team history (557 to 548). At this point, with 40 games still remaining, it's looking more and more like he is within realistic striking distance of passing Buhner this season. Yay! That would be so cool.

He is within realistic striking distance of not only 800 career RBIs, but also surpassing 100 RBIs in one season for the first time in his career!

On a somewhat sad note, however, he also passed Griffey today for third-most Ks in team history (1,082 to 1,081). It's looking like he is probably going to set his own personal high for most Ks in one season this year.

But on the bright side it's looking very much like he might also set his own personal high for most HRs in one season this year!

Comment

• Seattle1
                Mariners
                • Jun 2006

Today, August 29th, 2021, Kyle Seager, third base man, Seattle Mariners, hit his 31st HR of the season, a new career high! And here it is his eleventh year in the league! Congratulations! (His previous high was 30 HRs in one season.)

Also, he knocked in two RBIs, giving him 85 on the season and 791 for his career. He could very well not only eclipse 800 career RBIs at this point, but also pass 100 RBIs in one season for the first time in his career too! Wow! (His previous high was 99 in one season.)

Comment

• Seattle1
                  Mariners
                  • Jun 2006

Well, he did it. During the third inning of today's game against the Boston Red Sox, Kyle Seager hit a two-run double in order to gain the 558th XBH of his career, giving him one more than Buhner (557). He is now in third place in team history in that category behind only Edgar Martinez (838) and Ken Griffey, Jr. (788), so that is some pretty heady stuff.

Also, with his two additional RBIs he is up to 96 on the season, only four away from surpassing the magical 100-RBI benchmark on the season for the first time in his career! I think he's going to make it!

Comment

• Seattle1
                    Mariners
                    • Jun 2006

Bring back Kyle Seager in 2022!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X