Close one for Dave Neihaus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close one for Dave Neihaus

Damn, our man came close :grouchy to winning the Ford Frick award which would mean entry into the HOF.
    My -oh- my I would have to say when that happens.
    Johnny
    Delusion, Life's Coping Mechanism

This is getting ridiculous. There could not be a more snubbed man in all of baseball than Neihaus.

Comment

did you hear dave neihaus discussing curt gowdy yesterday.
      very very nice stuff.
      along with you sabr matt, i gotta say that any man who can make the M's interesting during the dog days of BP (before pinella) is a true gem.
      very distinctive voice and style.
      Last edited by johnny; 02-22-2006, 03:22 PM.
      Johnny

Comment

I believe with his tenure and talent, the award will be coming his way. Hopefully next year!

Comment

Originally posted by SABR Matt
          This is getting ridiculous. There could not be a more snubbed man in all of baseball than Neihaus.
          I agree with you... It's a shame that Dave is stuck working with Ron Fairly. I hope they don't hold that against him getting the award!
          WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

Originally posted by Zito75
            I agree with you... It's a shame that Dave is stuck working with Ron Fairly. I hope they don't hold that against him getting the award!
            When I left Northern California in 1992 one of the happy thoughts were I'll never have to listen to Ron Fairly state the obvious for 9 innings again. Damn, what happens the Red-head gets canned from the Giants and ends up in the Puget Sound. :grouchy

Oh well, either I am aging gracefully or he is getting better. But Fairly has kind of grew on me over time. I even like it when he say's things like 'Strikes, why yes Lou likes it when his pitchers throw strikes'

But Dave certainly is an institution here.
            Johnny

Comment

Forget that Fairly guy...the way he reads line-ups off is just PAINFUL...

Anyway, I like most of the Mariner announcers...including the exciteable Rick Rizzs, Dave Valle, and Dave Hendu...but really...Neihaus is still the main reason to listen to games...even if he is a little slow these days.

Comment

I'm telling you all, Fairly is the worst announcer ever.

Here's a few of his best quotes:

"When you win a game, the stats are good. When you lose a game, the stats are bad."

"If Ichiro could bat right handed, he'd be a pretty good switch hitter."

"When a pitcher gives up a homer, that means he made a mistake."
                Last edited by Zito75; 02-23-2006, 10:29 AM.
                WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

LOL...

I'm not gonna argue. His line-up calls in which he mispronounces half the names on his own team are just ghastly.

Comment

Here's a few of his best quotes:

"When you win a game, the stats are good. When you lose a game, the stats are bad."

Man I agree, and fought it for years both when he was in Northern Cali and then when he followed me up to Seattle. So I have logged in some serious Fairly time here and It's just over time he becomes like the crazy-lovable uncle at the family reunion. You just kind of put up with it but somehow it becomes sooo bad it is kind of fun in a perverse sort of way.

PS: I do love the Ichiro comment. And Fairly can deliver these type of lines of stating the obvious as if he is revealing some hidden truth to the unwashed masses.
                    Last edited by johnny; 02-23-2006, 12:01 PM.
                    Johnny

Comment

There were several great candidates this year, and Elston is well-deserving.
                      That being said, I doubt Neihaus would have to wait much longer. He's earned his reputation. I haven't heard too much from him, but he's excellent to these unbiased ears.
                      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Here's a few of his best quotes of Ron Fairly:

Here are some other ones I just pulled off of the net.

Bruce Sutter has been around for a while and he's pretty old. He's thirty-five years old, that will give you some idea of how old he is.
                        Ron Fairly

He fakes a bluff.
                        Ron Fairly

If I had to name the number one asset you could have for any sport I'd say speed. In baseball, all a guy with speed has to do is make contact.
                        Ron Fairly

Last night I neglected to mention something that bears repeating.
                        Ron Fairly
                        :radio
                        Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by johnny
                          Here are some other ones I just pulled off of the net.

Bruce Sutter has been around for a while and he's pretty old. He's thirty-five years old, that will give you some idea of how old he is.
                          Ron Fairly

He fakes a bluff.
                          Ron Fairly

If I had to name the number one asset you could have for any sport I'd say speed. In baseball, all a guy with speed has to do is make contact.
                          Ron Fairly

Last night I neglected to mention something that bears repeating.
                          Ron Fairly
                          :radio

Those are hilarious. I was just laughing away at the Bruce Sutter one. How would you know if someone faked a bluff?

Here's one more for you guys:

"In order to win, you must score more runs than your opponent."
                          ~Ron Fairly
                          WAR? Prove it!

Comment

Those are hilarious. I was just laughing away at the Bruce Sutter one. How would you know if someone faked a bluff?

Here's one more for you guys:

"In order to win, you must score more runs than your opponent."
                            ~Ron Fairly

Do you think we should start a Ron Fairly Thread. This might have some possibilities here...

"In all the years I played, he (Stan Williams) was the only guy who ever scared me and he was on my team."

"That's another example of the lack of the speed the Giants have - or don't have." (1988)

"The Giants are looking for a trade but I don't think Atlanta wants to depart with a quality player."
                            Last edited by johnny; 02-23-2006, 12:36 PM.
                            Johnny

Comment

beautiful quotes guys...keep 'em coming.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X