Mariner Spring Training 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariner Spring Training 2008

Post any and all things spring training.

M's Batista bound for No. 5 spot ?

By Geoff Baker:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...92_mari18.html

"The way I look at it, it doesn't matter who's at the front of the line until we get to the end of the race,"
    - Batista

"If you look at it, the guy who was No. 1 here three years ago [Jamie Moyer] now throws the softest of anybody in the league. It doesn't matter what order we're in. That's not supposed to change the product. We're supposed to win no matter what."
    - Batista

"If you have five guys throw 1,000 innings, that's huge," Batista said. "It's very rare to find a team that can throw that many innings with just five guys. That takes a lot of pressure off the bullpen."
    - Batista

You can put Batista at #5 and it won't bother him at all. You can tell him tomorrow you need him to relieve and he will. No problem.
    Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 02-18-2008, 08:09 AM.

Comment

If Brandon Morrow is very impressive this spring...the mariners will be forced to consider moving Batista into a set-up role and letting Morrow start.

Comment

Brandon Morrow

Originally posted by SABR Matt View Post
        If Brandon Morrow is very impressive this spring...the mariners will be forced to consider moving Batista into a set-up role and letting Morrow start.
        Shannon's Baseball Blog:
        Here We Go!

Morrow definitely a late innings guy. I had thought that they may let him work up a pitch count should something happen with a starter but Mac said he wanted it to be clear to Morrow that they want him to concentrate on relieving…
        http://www.komoradio.com/marinersrad.../15634322.html

Comment

FOR NOW...that is true. That doesn't mean the organization sees Morrow as a set-up man forever...they still think he's a top of the rotation starting pitcher.

Comment

Kenji and the knuckleball

Interesting Read:

Shannon's blog:

http://www.komoradio.com/marinersrad.../15735467.html

I know I feature Shannon's blog quit a bit, but I like her writing style and she's a fan first and then it's a J-O-B. It's fun.

Comment

Brandon Morrow

Originally posted by SABR Matt View Post
              FOR NOW...that is true. That doesn't mean the organization sees Morrow as a set-up man forever...they still think he's a top of the rotation starting pitcher.
              True. They stretched him out in Winter Ball, where he logged over 30 some odd innings, with the idea that he would battle for a starting spot, but with the rotation kind of full, he will now set up Putz. He was able to work on his second and third pitches in Winter Ball. Last year, as you remember, he threw the express much of the time. The hitters now have something else to think about besides that crazy fastball with the late movement. Being a set up man is not so bad. It's good training for a guy who someday could be a closer. I can't think of a better guy then Norm Charlton to teach him the finer things a relief guy needs to know.

Comment

McLaren hopes to make good use of bench players

"I don't like guys on the bench just sitting around," McLaren said. "We've got to use them and keep them sharp. Sometimes the regulars don't understand because they want to play."
                To do it, McLaren will need versatility on the bench, and that likely will play into his roster decisions.
                Miguel Cairo can play every infield position, Willie Bloomquist all of the outfield spots and Mike Morse can play first base, third base, shortstop and the corner outfield positions. Jeremy Reed also plays every outfield position and gives the M's a left-handed bat, and Greg Norton plays first and the corner outfield spots, although his greatest value is as a pinch-hitter.
                By Kirby Arnold, Herald Writer

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/200....bench.players

Comment

patience and aggression

Johnny Mac wants the hitters to be more patient at the plate. He also wants the base runners to be more aggressive; going first to third more often.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/200...g.as.a.manager
                  Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 02-20-2008, 04:43 AM.

Comment

The Mariners? More patient?
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

Former M's

It's always fun to see where old Mariners are playing.

As we know, Adam Jones and George Sherrill are with the Baltimore Orioles. Jamie Moyer will be the number four starter for the Phillies. Freddy Garcia, who tossed for the Phillies last year, is an unsigned free agent, having had shoulder problems last year. Chris Snelling, who bounced around with Washington and Oakland last year, will get a shot with the Phillies. Rafael Soriano will close for the Atlanta Braves. Timlin is still with the Red Sox and Joel Piniero is back again with the Cardinals. Ben Broussard is with Texas and hopefully he'll get a shot at playing everyday. Speaking of everyday, Everyday Eddie Guardado is with the Rangers, also.

Comment

Play Ball !

The M's first game is thursday the 28th of February and I for one am glad to finally have a game, even though it is Spring Training and it is radio only.

Mac is going to name his rotation any day now. Does this matter this early ? I can't remember a Mariner rotation being named this early in the Spring.

Comment

He's announcing the rotation so that he can count backwords from opening day and get everyone into the right games this spring.

Comment

My guess is that it's the probable rotation, and gives us something to work around, but that nothing's set in stone.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

That's not the impression I get.

They put Batista 5th so that he can also be used out of the pen from time to time (he's had success there) and Washburn fourth (because he's the worst pitcher) and Silva third...that rotation is pretty much set in stone.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X