Updates Anyone ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updates Anyone ?

Well here it is late March and baseball season is upon us. This is the third season for updates anyone ? If you remember updates is a loose thread and all ideas from any posters are welcome. We only ask that you be kind to all and particularly first time posters or people that are fairly new to baseball fever or baseball in general.

updates, 2007:

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=59049

updates, 2006:

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=41532

OPENING SERIES VS THE RANGERS

Monday @ 3:40 pm Texas vs Seattle, FSN-Northwest, Millwood vs Bedard

Tuesday @ 7:10 pm Texas vs Seattle, Padilla vs Hernandez

Wednesday @ 7:10 pm Texas vs Seattle, Jennings vs Silva

M's Win Opener 5-2

Eric Bedard goes five innings and Sean Green went (1.2) innings of relief for the win as the Mariners rallied late. Jose Lopez had two hits and two RBI's. Ichiro scored twice. JJ Putz picked up save #1.

Lopez, who started in the two hole, was patient at the plate. Jose has said in the past that hitting in the two hole gives him more of a sense of purpose. He knows how to go about his work and he has been successful hitting in the two hole. His All-Star year in 2006 he hit second during the first half and had some nice power numbers. Who wouldn't want to hit behind Ichiro ? You see better pitches and the pitcher doesn't want to walk you with the big guys coming up. I hope it works out for Jose. Jose is a tad faster than Vidro, who hit two much of last year. Vidro can hit anywhere and he'll fit in fine in the middle to back of the order with all the slugs.

The King goes today:

Tuesday @ 7:10 pm Texas vs Seattle, Padilla vs Hernandez

Comment

M's Lose 5-4

The Mariners did everything they wanted to do except win the game vs the Texas Rangers. They worked the count. They worked the starter, Padilla, into a high pitch count. They had runners on base often, but they could not strike the big blow. Padilla settled down and pitched well into the game. After the Rangers took the lead in the top of the eighth, the M's came back to take the lead and everything seemed dandy until the big bomb by Josh Hamilton. With the catcher setting up outside, Putz grooved one inside and low, which is prime for a lefty hitter and the ball sailed into the cold night. Heartbreak. This was a big game for the M's. Yuniesky Betancourt knocked four hits and Ichiro had three. The King pitched good and played some great defense.

Today:

Wednesday @ 7:10 pm Texas vs Seattle, Jennings vs Silva
      Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 04-02-2008, 08:03 AM.

Comment

JJ Putz to 15 Day DL

JJ Putz has Right torso inflammation. Playing in cold weather takes down another player. Anyone for a 154 game schedule and a season start date of April 10th or so ? Perhaps starting the season in warm cities ? sheesh !

Roy Corcoran (RP) Purchased From Minors

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/404235
        Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 04-02-2008, 07:21 PM. Reason: word

Comment

So, management, come again? Why did you release Guillen and pick up an anemic Wilkerson? Jeeez, you guys are boneheads. Is keeping Sexson in the line up part of some kind of charity work? No pop in this line up besides Beltre and an occasional Ibanez. No team will be scared of us. Hint hint....Clement. Trade Wilkerson and Sexson for Griffey, let the Reds lose their division

Comment

Originally posted by Marinerman View Post
            So, management, come again? Why did you release Guillen and pick up an anemic Wilkerson? Jeeez, you guys are boneheads. Is keeping Sexson in the line up part of some kind of charity work? No pop in this line up besides Beltre and an occasional Ibanez. No team will be scared of us. Hint hint....Clement. Trade Wilkerson and Sexson for Griffey, let the Reds lose their division

1) They didn't release Guillen. He was a free agent (well they had a mutual option, but he wasn't going to take the 1 year extension) and got a 3 year/36 million dollar deal.
            2) Wilkerson was as good an option as anybody available after we traded Adam Jones. Not that I'm happy to have him in the lineup. He was lousy last year and looks worse now.
            3) Sexson is a guy we owe 14.5 million dollars to this year and who has been a big banger in the past. They pretty much have to see if he can bounce back. If he doesn't hopefully they will sit (or release) him.
            4) Clement will probably get a chance to show what he can do before the season is over. For now he is better off getting more time to work on his catching skills at Tacoma.
            5) I'm sure the M's would happily trade Sexson and Wilkerson for Griffey, but why would the Reds want an overpaid stiff like Sexson?

Comment

Originally posted by Marinerman View Post
              ...I really don't think that Griffey would be the answer for this team. At this point, he is probably at par with Wilkerson - but with less upside.

Of course I would love to see Griffey end his career here, and maybe he could end it on a good note, but right now, he is definitely not the guy I would want us to pick up.

Comment

--I wouldn't give up anything of real value for Junior. I would rather have him in RF than Wilkerson or in RF with Wilkerson at 1B for Sexson though. Not going to happen though. The Reds have no reason to want either of those guys.

Comment

Mariners beat Rangers 4-1...

...and take two of three in this opening home stand. Silva was awesome considering it was his first start of the year. He pitched seven innings giving up one run. Sean Green pitched an inning and Miguel Batasta pitched the ninth for the save. Jose Lopez hit a three run shot in the fifth to put the M's ahead for good. Jose Vidro launched a homer in the second.

I listened to Sandmeyer (950 KJR radio) and former Mariner Jeff Nelson, on the best post game show Wednesday night. Sandmeyer raised the idea of Batista closing until JJ comes back and perhaps Baek, the long man, or as Sandy put it, the guy without a role, take the fifth starting spot for awhile. What do you think of this ? I like the idea.

Also, the M's open their road series at Baltimore against lefty, Adam Loewen, which means Mike Morse will get the start in RF (yea !).

The boo birds are already coming down on Big Richie Sexson. I heard a smattering of boos during Tuesday's game, when Richie dived at a low and away to strike out. It will take a Ruthian effort by Sexy to climb out of this. He is under the microscope now. His every at bat watched and criticized. It's really not fair. I, myself is guilty of this last year by giving Ritchie the business, but this is crazy. At least, I waited until like June to give it to him. These M's fans are booing two games into the season ? Is this the Philadelphia of the West ? Perhaps another team in another city is the answer.

In other news, former Mariner Adam Jones had two hits, scored a run and knocked in another, in Baltimore's 9-6 win vs Tampa Bay. George Sherrill picked up his first save of the year for the birds. Next up for the M's are these same Orioles

Road Trip:

Friday @ 4:05 pm, FSN-NW, Washburn (L) vs Loewen (L)

Saturday @ 4:05 pm, FSN-NW, Batista vs Guthrie

Sunday @ 11:35 am, FSN-NW,Bedard vs Burres

Monday @ 1:05 pm, FSN-NW, Hernandez vs Cabrera

Comment

--I'd be happy to see Bautista cover the closer job till Putz gets healthy. Baek could get a few starts in - or Dickey. Whatever they do is going to be a dropoff from JJ, but at least the rest of the pen could stay in their regular roles.

Comment

The boo birds are already coming down on Big Richie Sexson. I heard a smattering of boos during Tuesday's game, when Richie dived at a low and away to strike out. It will take a Ruthian effort by Sexy to climb out of this. He is under the microscope now. His every at bat watched and criticized. It's really not fair. I, myself is guilty of this last year by giving Ritchie the business, but this is crazy. At least, I waited until like June to give it to him. These M's fans are booing two games into the season ? Is this the Philadelphia of the West ? Perhaps another team in another city is the answer.
                      I agree, I think it's a little early, but I can't say I blame them. That said, I wouldn't wait until June - if he's not doing well by mid/late May, that's probably enough of a grace period.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

Baltimore Weather

The forecast calls for Rain the next few days in Baltimore. Thunder Showers and just plain old rain is likely. Like last year with Cleveland, the M's are not scheduled to return to Baltimore the rest of the year. Unlike last year, where it snowed in the Cleveland, the temperature in Maryland should be warmer, with highs in the 60's and lows in the 50's.

Friday and Saturday are night games and Sunday and Monday are day games. Most of the rain is expected to arrive (you guessed it) on Friday and Saturday. At the best I hope for some short delays, but it could be a very long weekend in Baltimore.

Baltimore Forecast:
                        http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...om=search_city
                        Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 04-04-2008, 08:19 AM. Reason: add link

Comment

Orioles beat Mariners 7-4

I had Loewen (he was moved back a day) going for the birds in the opener of this four gamer at Baltimore, but the Orioles broke out the secret weapon Steve Trachsel. Trachsel kept it close for five innings giving the birds time to get after Cha Seung Baek who relieved my guy Washburn, the starter. Baek in his first appearance of the year gave up three runs in an inning of work.

On the bright side, Roy Corcoran pitched (1.2) scoreless mopping up. Big Rithie hit a bomb and Beltre added a homer early. Adrian has been crushing the ball this first week of the season, which is good to see. He's fun to watch hit. He hits the ball hard. His homers will come. Back to big sexy. Maybe the road is a good place for him to relax some. We need him to hit and I wish the home fans would back off. He can make some of these ball yards look really small at times, particularly the safe.

George Sherrill picked up the save against his old mates and Adam Jones had a hit. This Baltimore team is a good hitting club. If they can get some pitching, watch out.

Morse knocked a hit and he now leads the league in hitting (1.000) [1-1] with a minimum of one at bat

Fox-NW Miguel Batista vs Adam Loewen @ 4:05 pdt

Comment

bullpen by the committed

Originally posted by leecemark View Post
                            --I'd be happy to see Bautista cover the closer job till Putz gets healthy. Baek could get a few starts in - or Dickey. Whatever they do is going to be a dropoff from JJ, but at least the rest of the pen could stay in their regular roles.
                            I agree. The guys should stay in their roles, but Mac has said that it would be by committee or whomever has the hot hand. Everyone I've heard from say that the by committee thing doesn't work. Some of these guys are young and they are not fully entrenched in their roles yet, so perhaps it will work.

Comment

bedard pushed back

Eric Bedard is pushed back til tuesday, with inflammation in the hip. He was scheduled to go Sunday @ Baltimore...

Felix Hernandez will replace Bedard on Sunday and Carlos Silva will pitch Monday against Baltimore, McLaren said.
                              http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseba..._bedard06.html

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X