• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zito75
    A's Super Moderator
    • Jun 2003

Is Griffey Jr. coming back to Seattle?

I've heard lots of talk that Junior Griffey could be on his way back to SeaTown. Why? Reds phenom Jay Bruce is tearing up AAA pitching and will be recalled soon... Also Adam Dunn may be traded if the Reds can find a suitor. From a PR perspective, the Mariners would be doing the best possible thing to bring fans out in droves. Plus there is the chance he could actually produce!
    Last edited by Zito75; 05-13-2008, 12:05 PM.
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett
  • SABR Matt
    Hunter of Objective Truth
    • May 2005

We're 15-25.

So, if the Mariners trade anything useful or demote someone who should be playing (Balentien or Clement) to make room for Griffey, then it's very stupid. However...if they DFA Sexson (or trade him to an NL team for a couple lesser prospects), move Ibanez to first base and Balentien to left field to make way for Griffey...I'm on board for sentimental reasons.

But we're 15-25. We're not buyers at this point.

Comment

• themedia
      • Apr 2008

For this to be done right, we would need to lose almost nothing (this would probably mean eating a ton of salary, but I guess that's what we do), put him in a corner OF spot or at DH and cross our fingers and hope he can produce before his proverbial DL stint.

With Bavasi's track record, I would be shocked if that's how it worked out. It's a lot more likely that we'll dish some promising young player(s) and get Griffey having already picked up his 2009 option ($16.5M). Oh well, I guess it will make the team more fun to watch. That's all the front office seems to care about these days.
      Last edited by themedia; 05-13-2008, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Rennie Stennett
        7-for-7
        • Mar 2006

Ken Griffey Jr.

Originally posted by themedia View Post
        For this to be done right, we would need to lose almost nothing (this would probably mean eating a ton of salary, but I guess that's what we do), put him in a corner OF spot or at DH and cross our fingers and hope he can produce before his proverbial DL stint.

With Bavasi's track record, I would be shocked if that's how it worked out. It's a lot more likely that we'll dish some promising young player(s) and get Griffey having already picked up his 2009 option ($16.5M). Oh well, I guess it will make the team more fun to watch. That's all the front office seems to care about these days.
        Griffey was not happy going to right field for the Reds. He sees himself as a CF all the way to the hall. With this in mind, if the M's tried to convert him to DH, he'd raise a fuss.

I agree with you that the front office only cares for attendance. An example would be the Beltre and Sexson signings. They made these moves only when the gate went down.

As far as Griffey goes, I don't want him back. I don't like the way he left Seattle with his attitude and all. I'd be in favor of a one day contract so he could retire a Mariner. This is what the front office wants - a sure fire Hall of Famer they can call their own.

Comment

• Wade8813
          The Dark Knight = Amazing
          • Jul 2006

I don't like the way he left Seattle with his attitude and all.
          See, I have that problem with Randy and A-Rod, but not Griffey. Randy seemed to start playing poorly in order to force a trade. A-Rod said it wasn't about the money, then left despite being offered a huge contract. Griffey said it was to be with his family, and he actually went to be with his family.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

• KCGHOST
            • Dec 2003

The M's need someone who can consistently produce runs in the middle of the line-up but I am not so sure Griffey is the guy. He will hit you some home runs but I don't know if he will really increase your overall run production.

Griffey would have to be crazy to agree to the trade unless someone guaranteed his 2009 option year.
            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

• SABR Matt
              • May 2005

If the Mariners get Griffey, they will guarantee his option year and maybe offer one more year...but that's OK. And he would play right field and Wlad would shift to left, with Ibanez either DHing or playing first.

As for his attitude when he left, he had an attitude because the club treated him badly at the end. They approached him and asked "which one of you two (meaning he and A-Rod) should we trade" when they realized they couldn't afford both. Griffey got insulted and asked to leave. I don't blame him.

Comment

• Seattle1
                Mariners
                • Jun 2006

That would be great!

Comment

• Zito75
                  A's Super Moderator
                  • Jun 2003

Anyone have updates or heard anything new on this?
                  WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

• Stumanji
                    Leads league in optimism.
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Zito75 View Post
                    Anyone have updates or heard anything new on this?
                    The talk in the M's postgame shows suggest that we won't be giving up an arm and a leg to get Junior back. The Reds know, as do the M's, that this is a 38-year old outfielder hitting .245.

The only Mariner name I've heard proposed so far was Washburn.
                    Swing and a drive! This one is deep! This one is... over the fence and into the neighbor's yard!

Comment

• SABR Matt
                      • May 2005

the Ms can't afford to give up more prospects right now...if they're getting Griffey, it's going to be a dual salary-dump. We get Griffey...they get Washburn and Johjima or something like that.

Comment

• Rennie Stennett
                        7-for-7
                        • Mar 2006

Holy Cow Batman !

Say it ain't so, Joe !

Comment

• SABR Matt
                          • May 2005

Johjima is the worst defensive catcher in baseball...so I'm not going to cry if he gets dealt some day. :\

since his arrival, Mariner pitchers have posted an .810 OPS when he catches and a .704 OPS when any of his back-ups catch. He's doing something spectacularly wrongly that's messing up either the pitchers or the defense or both.

Comment

• Rennie Stennett
                            7-for-7
                            • Mar 2006

kenji

Originally posted by SABR Matt View Post
                            Johjima is the worst defensive catcher in baseball...so I'm not going to cry if he gets dealt some day. :\

since his arrival, Mariner pitchers have posted an .810 OPS when he catches and a .704 OPS when any of his back-ups catch. He's doing something spectacularly wrongly that's messing up either the pitchers or the defense or both.
                            Defensively, I think he's okay, but he calls a game back-wards as they do in Japan. I didn't think much of it at first, but when you as a catcher are not on the same page as the pitchers, and they start voicing their complaints through the media, this can be a problem. He's been here what, now in his third year ? He should have this figured out. The veteran pitchers won't take his bull, but it could be putting stress on their noggins. The young pitchers might just throw whatever he puts down.

Comment

• mrakbaseball
                              Vorsprung durch Technik
                              • Apr 2008

Griffey would consider returning to Seattle in '09

Larry Stone article link
                              : http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...91_mari01.html

If Griffey can put up numbers similar to '07 in '09, why not? $4-$8 mil isn't out of the question. The Mariners aren't competing in '09 anyway. He says he's open to DHing.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X