No announcement yet.

Ichiro Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last night, Ichiro set the Mariner's all-time record for triples as a Mariner, with 49, passing Harold Reynolds!

Comment

• Originally posted by Edgartohof
      Does anyone know why they kept him out of the game? One game at this point shouldn't really matter unless there was some possible injury to watch for or something, at least give him an AB or something. It's not like they need to rest him for the post season - he'll be resting for a few months soon anyways - oh well.
      His back. He tweaked it the night before. Still, as you say, give him an AB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rennie Stennett
        His back. He tweaked it the night before. Still, as you say, give him an AB.
        Didn't he get hit in the back with a thrown ball while running the basepaths in the win the previous night? That's what I thought I heard.

Comment

• that's right. my bad. Too bad he didn't get put in to pinch hit.

Comment

• I just noticed that Ichiro has tripled in each of the last 3 games he has played in! This brings his season total to 9, his career total to 50, and increases his lead in this category to 2 over Harold Reynolds, on the Mariner's all-time list.

On a similar note, the Mariners are also leading the AL in triples with 42. Second place goes to the Tigers with 38.

This helped by the fact that we have 5 players on the team with 5 or more triples, including three, who in the top 10 (Ichiro is 3rd with 9; Lopez is T-4th with 8; Betancourt is T-9th with 6).
            Edgartohof
            Last edited by Edgartohof; 09-30-2006, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• I remember at the beginning of the season we had 3 of our guys in there for triples, Lopez, Betancourt, and Reed all had 4 or 5. Pretty impressive.
              go M's/BSox :gt

There is no "I" in "team."
              But there is an "I" in "win."

If you like football as much as baseball, then www.pigskin-fever.com is for you.

Comment

• Ichiro again has added to his AL record for consecutive successful SB's, now at 39, only 5 behind Willie Wilson's record of 44.

For the season, he is 45-2, good for a 96% success rate. This is one of the best performances on the bases I've ever seen. I mean Beltran has had a few good years on the bases (okay, several), going 13/13, 31/32, and even a 31/31 run in 2004, but he is just putting that to shame (no offense to Beltran, or to his impressive feats on the bases).

This may not be a 100 SB year (or even a 50 SB year), but he definitely had enough quality there to make that quantity worth it.

Here's hoping he'll break Wilson's record next year (unless he can go 6/6 on the bases tomorrow - I'd LOVE to see that!)
                Edgartohof
                Last edited by Edgartohof; 09-30-2006, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edgartohof
                  Does anyone know why they kept him out of the game? One game at this point shouldn't really matter unless there was some possible injury to watch for or something, at least give him an AB or something. It's not like they need to rest him for the post season - he'll be resting for a few months soon anyways - oh well.
                  --It is probably for the best that this streak got ended this year. I've always thought he'd benefit from a little more rest and ending the streak now makes it easier to schedule some off days for him next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by leecemark
                    --It is probably for the best that this streak got ended this year. I've always thought he'd benefit from a little more rest and ending the streak now makes it easier to schedule some off days for him next year.

You are probably right.

It is better to have Ichiro with us 95% of the time at 100%, than him with us 100% of the time at 90%.

Comment

• Well, Ichiro's and the Mariner's 2006 season has come to a close, after winning their season finale 3-1, against the Texas Rangers. I actually was at the game today, and let me tell you - it was awesome! I hadn't planned on going, but on a whim this morning, I looked to see if there were still tickets left (there were lots), and picked up a couple, and headed out the door.

The game started off with a bang. In the bottom of the first, with Ichiro at the plate, he hit a leadoff HR - it landed just 20 feet to my right! It was soon after that, that I nearly lost my voice. Then, the following inning, Richie Sexson hit a solo shot of his own. The crowd was great through the whole game - it was a great end to the season.

In this game, Kenji Johjima also set the all-time AL record for hits by a rookie catcher (147)! He was given a big standing ovation, which delayed the game for a minute or so.

And to top it all off, J.J. Putz struck out the side in the top of the 9th inning - 1...2.............3 (the final batter fouled off what seemed like 10 pitches - but was probably closer to 5).

Comment

• For the season, Ichiro ends up with 224 hits, 110 runs, 20 doubles, 9 triples, 9 HR, 49 RBI, 49 BB, 45 SB (96%), 16 IBB, and ONLY 2 GDP

his batting line is: .322/.370/.416

He will likely win another OF GG this year, has set the MLB record for hits over 6 consecutive years, with 1354 (162 game average of 229!!!), has 235 SB's (80% over his career), including going 45-2 this season (96%), with 39-0 run to end the season, the all-time AL record, and only 5 behind the MLB record of 44 (Willie Wilson).

He has 6 consecutive seasons with 200+ hits, all from the start of his MLB career. This guy is fun to watch, and I hope we can turn the team around to try to keep him here for his entire career.

In any case, good job Mariner's and Ichiro, and good luck to all of you next year!!!

Comment

• Here is a list of feats, records, and accomplishments that I know of that Ichiro now holds (you can chime in if I miss any or make a mistake):

First Japanese born Position Player in the MLB

most hits by a rookie - 242 (2001)
                          most hits in a single season - 262 (2004)
                          most hits in 6 consecutive seasons - 1354 (2001-2006)
                          most hits in 7 consecutive seasons - 1592 (2001-2007)

200+ hits in 7 consecutive seasons (2001-2004) - only behind Boggs (7), and Keeler (8)
                          200+ hits in FIRST 7 consecutive seasons to start career (2001-2007)
                          Led the AL in hits times (2001, 2004, 2006, 2007)
                          Top 2 in hits all 7 seasons

most singles in a single season - 225 (2004)
                          has led in singles 7 consecutive years

AL record for consecutive stolen bases - 45 (2006-2007)

7 consecutive OF GG's
                          7 consecutive All-Star appearances - led in voting twice(?)
                          All-Star MVP (2007)
                          1st Inside-the-Park Home Run in All-Star Game History (2007)

Tied for most hits in a single League Division Series - 12 (2001) - Tied with Edgar Martinez (as a side note, Mariner's players hold 3 of the top 4 positions here - Buhner is tied for 3rd with 11).
                          He is also tied for 1st in BA in a single League Division Series - .600 (2001)

Five 20+ game hit streaks
                          Six 5 hit games (Boggs only had 3)

I'm not sure of this one, but I believe he holds the record for most AB's in a 5 and 6 year span, if not a couple more (i.e 3 and 4 year spans as well).

This is just a start - I have to go now, but I will add more later.
                          Edgartohof
                          Last edited by Edgartohof; 02-01-2008, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• First player in AL history to win a GG, ROY, batting championship, MVP and stolen base championship in one season.

Comment

• Happy birthday to Ichiro! He turns 33 today.

Comment

• Originally posted by SABR Matt
                                First player in AL history to win a GG, ROY, batting championship, MVP and stolen base championship in one season.
                                Has it been done in the National League?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X