Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ichiro Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Steve Kelley

    I caught Steve Kelley of the Seattle Times, on the Elise Woodward & Ian Furness Show last night. The Elise and Ian show is on week nights @ 7:00 pm on KJR-AM (950 Sports Radio).

    Elise and Ian: http://www.kjram.com/pages/eliseandian.html

    Steve Kelley: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stevekelley/

    They covered many topics, but the one that was really interesting envolved Ichiro and his contract status, his lack of leadership and his lack of production, and how he has always just done what he wants to. He finally switched to CF, which I didn't know, but the M's have wanted him to do for a long time. Steve mentions that Ichiro should be a leader but is not. He never gives encouraging words to a slumping team~mate. He doesn't kick a guy in the tail when he's doggin' it. He just stays in his Zen like state the whole time. Steve mentioned Ichiro's lack of production. I'm sure Grover and the boys have wanted Ichiro to take more walks, but Ichiro replied once that citizens buying tickets don't come to the ballpark to watch him take four wide ones. For me a walk is as good as a hit in Ichiro's case because he's usually getting those slappy worm killing singles anyway. A walk is better than a strike out. He gets hot once in a while and starts hitting blue darters all over the yard, but when he slumps Ichiro cant' get the ball out of the infield and when this happens, the third bagger comes in close, second and short take a few steps in and they take away some of those big hop and low scooter singles he's famous for. Also, at times the pitchers show they can bust him in on occasion or get ahead in the count and let Ichiro go fishing. The league knows he has no plate discipline. He's a helleva bad ball hitter.


    I was reading a thread over on the Cubbies area, who's topic is Is Soriano over rated ? I did a little research and found that Soriano walks even less (30) than Ichiro (45), while having about the same AB's per season (over 650). The difference is about (40) more home runs and (30) more doubles from Soriano. Ichiro gets more hits, steals a few more bags and is a better defender. It's hard to say if Soriano is over~rated, but if you say Soriano is over~rated then you could say Ichiro is as well.

    If the M's traded Ichiro would anyone go to the ball park ? I think they would. Sure he is a hugh draw as they said last night, but what could the Mariners get for him in a trade ? A load of prospects ? A big number one starter with a strong relief pitcher ? A big bat ? I know some Ichiro fans (I'm a big fan too) may be bummed by trade talks about their favorite player, but take a look at the situation. It's the start of Spring Training of the last year of Ichiro's contract and talks don't seem to be progressing. The M's don't like to negotiate contracts during the Season. So since no deal is made yet, No deal will be made until October, which is the M's habit. This could be his last year in Seattle.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Rennie Stennett
      I caught Steve Kelley of the Seattle Times, on the Elise Woodward & Ian Furness Show last night. The Elise and Ian show is on week nights @ 7:00 pm on KJR-AM (950 Sports Radio).

      Elise and Ian: http://www.kjram.com/pages/eliseandian.html

      Steve Kelley: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stevekelley/

      They covered many topics, but the one that was really interesting envolved Ichiro and his contract status, his lack of leadership and his lack of production, and how he has always just done what he wants to. He finally switched to CF, which I didn't know, but the M's have wanted him to do for a long time. Steve mentions that Ichiro should be a leader but is not. He never gives encouraging words to a slumping team~mate. He doesn't kick a guy in the tail when he's doggin' it. He just stays in his Zen like state the whole time. Steve mentioned Ichiro's lack of production. I'm sure Grover and the boys have wanted Ichiro to take more walks, but Ichiro replied once that citizens buying tickets don't come to the ballpark to watch him take four wide ones. For me a walk is as good as a hit in Ichiro's case because he's usually getting those slappy worm killing singles anyway. A walk is better than a strike out. He gets hot once in a while and starts hitting blue darters all over the yard, but when he slumps Ichiro cant' get the ball out of the infield and when this happens, the third bagger comes in close, second and short take a few steps in and they take away some of those big hop and low scooter singles he's famous for. Also, at times the pitchers show they can bust him in on occasion or get ahead in the count and let Ichiro go fishing. The league knows he has no plate discipline. He's a helleva bad ball hitter.


      I was reading a thread over on the Cubbies area, who's topic is Is Soriano over rated ? I did a little research and found that Soriano walks even less (30) than Ichiro (45), while having about the same AB's per season (over 650). The difference is about (40) more home runs and (30) more doubles from Soriano. Ichiro gets more hits, steals a few more bags and is a better defender. It's hard to say if Soriano is over~rated, but if you say Soriano is over~rated then you could say Ichiro is as well.

      If the M's traded Ichiro would anyone go to the ball park ? I think they would. Sure he is a hugh draw as they said last night, but what could the Mariners get for him in a trade ? A load of prospects ? A big number one starter with a strong relief pitcher ? A big bat ? I know some Ichiro fans (I'm a big fan too) may be bummed by trade talks about their favorite player, but take a look at the situation. It's the start of Spring Training of the last year of Ichiro's contract and talks don't seem to be progressing. The M's don't like to negotiate contracts during the Season. So since no deal is made yet, No deal will be made until October, which is the M's habit. This could be his last year in Seattle.

      Well, if he's SO overrated, how in the world could we get so much from him in a trade? And how have we not gotten production from him. He has been #1 or #2 on the team EVERY year he's played here. And Ichiro IS the biggest reason to go to the games. I would still go, since I'm a Mariner's fan first, but I might go less often.

      Comment


      • I knew I'd catch Hell...

        Originally posted by Edgartohof
        Well, if he's SO overrated, how in the world could we get so much from him in a trade? And how have we not gotten production from him. He has been #1 or #2 on the team EVERY year he's played here. And Ichiro IS the biggest reason to go to the games. I would still go, since I'm a Mariner's fan first, but I might go less often.
        ...for posting that one, but a little healthy debate is good, particularly, when talking of my favorite player Ichiro. I never said he was overrated. You can't teach Speed. You can go to the weight room and train your fast twitch muscle fibers all you want, but if your not fast to begin with, your not going to be. Ichiro is quick and fast. He's a pleasant relief of the steroid puffed up daddies of the past twenty years. He shows you can be great and not be a HDH freak. You can hit, move runners along, play great defense, steal bags and be successful. Bary Bonds shoe size as a rookie was 10 1/2. Now it's 13. Most peoples feet stop growing when they are 18, unless you take HDH that returns you to your growing years. Barry is just bigger than he was before. Not just his muscles, but his bones also. This is why I love Ichiro. Sure, I would like him to take more pitches, but it's never going to happen. He's never going to walk more than 45 times per year.

        Ichiro's career OBP: .376
        Ichiro's career BA: .331

        Edgar's career OBP: .418
        Edgar's career BA: .312

        Ty Cobb's career OBP: .433
        Ty Cobb's career BA: .367

        Wade Boggs career OBP: .415
        Wade Boggs career BA: .328

        Rogers Hornsby career OBP: .434
        Rogers Hornsby career BA: .358

        Ted Williams career OBP: .482
        Ted Williams career BA: .344

        Tony Gwynn career OBP: .388
        Tony Gwynn career BA: .338

        Stan the Man career OBP: .417
        Stan the Man career BA: .331
        Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 03-01-2007, 07:50 AM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Edgartohof
          Well, if he's SO overrated, how in the world could we get so much from him in a trade? And how have we not gotten production from him. He has been #1 or #2 on the team EVERY year he's played here. And Ichiro IS the biggest reason to go to the games. I would still go, since I'm a Mariner's fan first, but I might go less often.
          I agree, he is the Face of the Mariners' Franchise, he is their All-Star. He is a modern version of Ted Williams but without the will and the role to have to hit Homeruns. Without him, the Mariners could have been one of the worse teams in the league fos. And on top of it he brings so much to the Table, speed, agility, hittingr a few years now, and Kenji might not have signed with the M'... he is the ideal CF and Leadoff Man, bless Ichiro.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by TheKingofKings
            I agree, he is the Face of the Mariners' Franchise, he is their All-Star. He is a modern version of Ted Williams but without the will and the role to have to hit Homeruns. Without him, the Mariners could have been one of the worse teams in the league fos. And on top of it he brings so much to the Table, speed, agility, hittingr a few years now, and Kenji might not have signed with the M'... he is the ideal CF and Leadoff Man, bless Ichiro.
            He is no where near the hitter Ted Williams was. Not in HR hitting, not in any aspect of hitting.
            Originally posted by Domenic
            The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Westlake
              He is no where near the hitter Ted Williams was. Not in HR hitting, not in any aspect of hitting.
              I said a "version" of Ted Williams, not" he is the representation of a Modern Ted Williams", then I would agree.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by TheKingofKings
                I said a "version" of Ted Williams, not" he is the representation of a Modern Ted Williams", then I would agree.
                Okkkk.....
                Originally posted by Domenic
                The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

                Comment


                • Future Ranger?

                  Ichiro is a hitting machine who plays defense and runs the bases. He will look great in a Texas uniform but I'm sure the Yankees and Red Sox will have another bidding war.
                  Last edited by Richmond Hill Phoenix; 03-27-2007, 11:08 AM.

                  Comment


                  • But he also knows that the fans here love him. Though the FO (front office) better realize his importance to the franchise. He IS a huge money maker and if they don't poney up here soon, he may not be around for long.

                    Comment


                    • Anybody know where I can send an item TTM for an Ichiro autograph? Thanx.
                      Image hosted by Photobucket.com

                      Comment


                      • Cool Poster

                        Check Out This Poster of Ichiro:

                        http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart...hiroposter.jpg

                        Comment


                        • Well, Ichiro went 1-4 today and scored the first run of the season for the Mariner's in their win today over the Oakland Athletics!!!!!

                          Comment


                          • 2-4 yesterday with a 3B, 1 Run, and 2 RBI!!!

                            .375/.375/.625!!!!!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Westlake View Post
                              He is no where near the hitter Ted Williams was. Not in HR hitting, not in any aspect of hitting.
                              You are only saying Ichiro is not the best hitter ever with this statement.
                              "There was nothing on the field that Willie could do that i couldnt do......and you know i was a better hitter."-Henry Aaron

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Rennie Stennett View Post
                                ...for posting that one, but a little healthy debate is good, particularly, when talking of my favorite player Ichiro. I never said he was overrated. You can't teach Speed. You can go to the weight room and train your fast twitch muscle fibers all you want, but if your not fast to begin with, your not going to be. Ichiro is quick and fast. He's a pleasant relief of the steroid puffed up daddies of the past twenty years. He shows you can be great and not be a HDH freak. You can hit, move runners along, play great defense, steal bags and be successful. Bary Bonds shoe size as a rookie was 10 1/2. Now it's 13. Most peoples feet stop growing when they are 18, unless you take HDH that returns you to your growing years. Barry is just bigger than he was before. Not just his muscles, but his bones also. This is why I love Ichiro. Sure, I would like him to take more pitches, but it's never going to happen. He's never going to walk more than 45 times per year.

                                Ichiro's career OBP: .376
                                Ichiro's career BA: .331

                                Edgar's career OBP: .418
                                Edgar's career BA: .312

                                Ty Cobb's career OBP: .433
                                Ty Cobb's career BA: .367

                                Wade Boggs career OBP: .415
                                Wade Boggs career BA: .328

                                Rogers Hornsby career OBP: .434
                                Rogers Hornsby career BA: .358

                                Ted Williams career OBP: .482
                                Ted Williams career BA: .344

                                Tony Gwynn career OBP: .388
                                Tony Gwynn career BA: .338

                                Stan the Man career OBP: .417
                                Stan the Man career BA: .331
                                How can you even post guys from the early nineteen hundreds with a srtaight face. Look at those numbers rounded against league averages back then its a joke. Ichiro woulve racked up over 300 HITS a year if he played with those guys. And look at how Cobb held the bat for God Sakes.There are so many differences in the game to begin to dissect them would be exausting
                                "There was nothing on the field that Willie could do that i couldnt do......and you know i was a better hitter."-Henry Aaron

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X