Ichiro Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
    Kudos to Wakamatsu-san and his crew. 7 games over .500 is quite a bit better than what I would have predicted.
    Definitely!

I was a little worried at the beginning of the year with some of the pitching calls by Wakamatsu . . . but he seems to be doing just fine.

In fact, I figure he is probably in the running for Manager of the year! I mean taking what was a 101 LOSS team last season, to a 7 game over .500 team this season - all in his inaugural year as manager!

Comment

• Projections/Goals For Ichiro At Conclusion Of This Season.

Ichiro Suzuki's current lifetime totals are 2020 hits in 6065 at bats for a lifetime average of .333 (.33305).
      With nine games remaining and figuring ABOUT FOUR AT BATS PER GAME Ichiro would have to go 13 for 34 (.382)- 2033H/6099AB or 14 for 37 (.378) - 2034H/6102AB to finish the season at a pure 1 for 3 ratio (.333333......). He would need to go 15 for 36 (.417) to raise his career average a point for career totals of 2035H/6101AB for a resulting career average of
      .334 (.33355).

Comment

• Ichiro got ejected from his first game ever today!

Ichiro ejection a career-first
        Yahoo! Sports
        09/26/2009

Seattle Mariners outfielder Ichiro Suzuki(notes) was ejected from Saturday's game against the Blue Jays for arguing a called third strike, the first time in his career he's been thrown out of a game.

The prolific hitter used his bat to draw a line on the outer edge of the plate, demonstrating that he thought David Purcey's(notes) strike-three pitch was outside.

Home plate umpire Brian Runge immediately tossed Suzuki, who argued briefly before Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu walked him off the field.

Michael Saunders(notes) replaced Suzuki in the lineup.

Suzuki went 0-3, dropping his average to .353. He's second to Minnesota catcher Joe Mauer(notes) in the American League batting race.

Earlier this month, Suzuki became the first player in Major League Baseball history to get at least 200 hits in nine straight seasons.

He broke a tie with Willie Keeler, who reached 200 hits for eight straight seasons from 1894-1901.

Suzuki, in his ninth season in the majors, also reached the 2,000-hit plateau this month - the 259th major leaguer to get there.

He had never been thrown out of a game before, either in the States or in his playing days in Japan.
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
          Ichiro got ejected from his first game ever today!

That's crazy. I've seen him argue balls and strikes before, but every baseball player knows that drawing a line in the dirt is just begging for an ejection.
          Swing and a drive! This one is deep! This one is... over the fence and into the neighbor's yard!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stumanji View Post
            That's crazy. I've seen him argue balls and strikes before, but every baseball player knows that drawing a line in the dirt is just begging for an ejection.
            Since when does that imaginery line stop him from swinging at pitches out of it.

Comment

• Nice set of 3-Run HR's from Griffey, both Yesterday (5th inning), and today (1st inning)!!!

Comment

• That was bad sportsmanship by Ichiro.

Btw, those 2 shots by Griffey were awesome. Moore had a nice one too!

Comment

• Ichiro hit .315 for the month of September (35 for 111).

Comment

• Ichiro's final numbers - 2009

Ichiro finished with 225 hits for a .352 average, second best in the American League and the Major Leagues (only Joe Mauer topped him).
                    That season hit total of 225 is within a fraction of his career average. With 2030 hits in nine seasons Ichiro has averaged an amazing 225.55 hits per season in the majors.
                    For his career Ichiro is batting .333 (.33284) with 2030 hits in 6099 major league at-bats.
                    Suzuki also stole 26 bases, a career low due in part to him not attempting to steal much in the final five weeks of the season after being idled for eight games with a calf injury at the end of August. Still he increased his career total to 341 steals an average of nearly 38 stolen bases per season. At this point by projecting his career numbers through age 40, a final stolen base total of over 500 is definitely not out of the question.

Philly-brownsfan
                    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 10-06-2009, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• Code:
                      [B]Most hits over 9 consecutive seasons[/B]

[I]2,030 Ichiro Suzuki 2001 2009* [/I]
                      1,905 Willie Keeler 1894 1902 
                      1,900 George Sisler 1920 1929 
                      1,891 Jesse Burkett 1893 1901 
                      1,882 Jesse Burkett 1894 1902 
                      1,875 George Sisler 1919 1928 
                      1,867 Rogers Hornsby 1921 1929 
                      1,863 Pete Rose 1968 1976 
                      1,861 Bill Terry 1927 1935 
                      1,860 Paul Waner 1926 1934 
                      1,857 Pete Rose 1969 1977 
                      1,856 Paul Waner 1927 1935 
                      1,856 Stan Musial 1943 1952 
                      1,856 Rogers Hornsby 1920 1928 
                      1,850 George Sisler 1918 1927 
                      1,847 Wade Boggs 1983 1991 

*season not done yet

(From MLB.com)
                      Ichiro now has 2030 hits in his MLB career, giving him the clear record over 9 consecutive years, with 125 more than his closest competitor, former record holder, Wee Willie Keeler!
                      Last edited by Edgartohof; 10-07-2009, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• So, not there was any surprise, but Ichiro won his 9th consecutive GG!

The real surprise (okay, so not so much surprise, but dismay), that Gutierrez did NOT win! He totally deserved the award. But that is how the awards go often times . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by Edgartohof View Post
                          So, not there was any surprise, but Ichiro won his 9th consecutive GG!

The real surprise (okay, so not so much surprise, but dismay), that Gutierrez did NOT win! He totally deserved the award. But that is how the awards go often times . . .
                          Probably the best CF/RF combo that I can recall in a long time. :bowdown:

Comment

• Originally posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
                            Probably the best CF/RF combo that I can recall in a long time. :bowdown:
                            Yes, since '03 at least (Cameron and Ichiro)

Comment

• It should also be noted, that Ichiro was also honored with another SS award - his 3rd of his career ('01, '07, and '09 - I know, why no '04?).

Comment

• Originally posted by Edgartohof View Post
                                Yes, since '03 at least (Cameron and Ichiro)
                                Not really. Gut is better than Cam.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X