No announcement yet.

Ichiro Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The countdown is set at 10 now after a 1st inning Single by Ichiro! He is sitting at 190 hits with 15 games left in the 2010 season. 15 games to collect at least 10 hits; can he do it? History says he can! Let's wait and see!

Comment

• Make that 9 to go after a 3rd inning single. He followed that up by stealing 2nd and 3rd base and scored on a Chone Figgins single.
      This of course was the idea when we picked up Figgins but we didn't really see the results this season. But Figgins has picked it up as of late, hitting .382/.424/.436 in September before tonight.
      Last edited by Edgartohof; 09-17-2010, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edgartohof View Post
        Make that 9 to go after a 3rd inning single. He followed that up by stealing 2nd and 3rd base and scored on a Chone Figgins single.
        This of course was the idea when we picked up Figgins but we didn't really see the results this season. But Figgins has picked it up as of late, hitting .382/.424/.436 in September before tonight.

And the countdown is now down to 8 after a 1st inning single!

Comment

And the countdown is now down to 8 after a 1st inning single!
          Only 7 hits to 200 now!!!! We are getting close, so close I can smell it!!! Here comes 10 consecutive seasons of 200+ hits, the first time in the history of Major League Baseball for someone to accomplish this!

Comment

Only 7 hits to 200 now!!!! We are getting close, so close I can smell it!!! Here comes 10 consecutive seasons of 200+ hits, the first time in the history of Major League Baseball for someone to accomplish this!
            I hate to go around counting my chickens before they hatch too much, but it does look pretty much inevitable at this point barring catastrophic injury (knock on wood). It's going to be pretty cool when it happens!

Comment

• He had 4 hits tonight, I believe.

Comment

• Ichiro did go 4-4 tonight with a walk and scored 2 runs! This was his first 4 hit game of the season (he has thirteen 3 hit games and 63 multiple hit games on the season as well).

He did go 1-5 tonight to reach 198 hits on the season, putting him a mere 2 hits away from the 200-hit mark! With 11 games to go, I whole heartedly await for this moment to arrive!

Comment

• Isn't he tied for the lead in doubles on the team this season too?

Comment

• Well, the season is almost to an end. The team was not what we expected but there were some highlights. We had Cliff Lee and Felix for a spell and the King continued to dazzle, improving each and every game it seemed. And then there is the ever present Ichiro, putting up another 200 hit season like it was nothing. He is actually at 210 hits at the moment with another multiple hit game last night, his 68th multiple hit game of the season! This was not his best year but he is finishing strong, hitting .342 in September to raise his BA up to .315 for the season. His 41 SB's are still good for 7th in the league and just behind Figgins at 42. But with only 9 CS on the season (vs. 15 for Figgins), he has a much better success rate at 82%.

Speaking of Figgins, though we can all say that this season was a near bust for him, he has finished strong, batting .350/.402/.417 in September to raise his season BA to a respectable .263 (up from .244 a month ago!

10 Consecutive years of 200+ hits! The Rookie season hits record, the Single Season hits record, 2 batting titles, hit .350+ in 4 separate seasons, lead the league in Hits 7 times, and for a record 5 consecutive years. Only 10 years in the league and already 2240 hits! In fact, Ichiro is only 7 hits behind Mariners Legend and holder of most of the record book, Edgar Martinez!

Comment

• I continue to be amazed by Ichiro's offensive and defensive talents, including his base stealing skills and speed as well as his throwing arm and fine defensive play overall , and of course his bat.
                      What can you say about a hitter who just completed a 214 hit season, and that actually represents a slightly subpar effort, that is 10 or 11 hits below his seasonal average. His 2244 hits in just 10 seasons (224.4 avg. per season) is an amazing accomplishment. He's on a pace to reach 3,000 hits before the mid-way point of his 14th major league season (2014). Perhaps only Ty Cobb reached 3,000 hits faster. (That would be interesting to look up). Some recent examples of players reaching the milestone fairly fast would include Pete Rose, who was about one month into his 16th season when he collected his 3,000th hit on May 5, 1978;. Tony Gwynn and Wade Boggs who were both in their 18th seasons when they collected their 3,000th hits, about a week apart, in 1999. Most players however have taken about 19 or 20 seasons or more (Al Kaline - 22 seasons) to reach the 3,000 hit milestone. Suffice it to say that Ichiro is on a record or
                      near-record pace. He's a future first ballot electee to both the Japanese and American Baseball Hall Of Fames.

-philliesfiend55-
                      Last edited by philliesfiend55; 10-05-2010, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• It is a wonderful thing to watch him day in and day out throughout the season. I can hardly believe that he has been here in Seattle for 10 years now!

He needs only average 189 hits/season over the next 4 years to reach 3,000 hits since coming over to the MLB. Considering who he is and what he has accomplished, I really don't see it being that hard of a task for him to complete. For a player who has only twice had less than 210 hits in a season and never lower than 206, 189 is next to nothing. He has averaged, 223 hits (222.8) over the last 5 seasons, and aside from 2009, has never missed more than 5 games in a season and only 3 games total were missed since 2004 (again, excluding 2009)! This is a man who takes care of his body, his continuous training and stretching, clearly working well for him.

And he is not done yet, so I am excited to see what else he has in store!

Comment

• Comment

• Thanks for the videos!

Comment

• There are so many notches on Ichiro's belt, his pants are at risk of falling off!

I just found out that Ichiro has won his 10th consecutive GG!

To quote MLB.com:

"Suzuki's 10th Gold Glove, one for each year he's been in the Major Leagues, pulled him into a four-way tie for the second-most among outfielders. Andruw Jones, Ken Griffey Jr. and Al Kaline each also won 10 each. Only Roberto Clemente and Willie Mays, who each won 12, earned more while playing the outfield."

So congrats to Ichiro!

Comment

• I don't want to jinx it (injuries, etc.), but I am psyched out to see Ichiro earn his 11th-straight 200-hit season in 2011. I think that would be so cool. The word "unprecedented" would not even do justice!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X