Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ichiro Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by Edgartohof
    So it is the offseason, but does anybody here know what Ichiro is up to these days? I mean, is he still here in the states? Or did he go back home in Japan?

    If anyone knows, it would be great to hear.


    P.S. Even though he was on a last place team that nearly lost 100 games, he was still in the top 10 for MVP
    I am not aware of him returning to Japan, but I'm just not sure. He's been interviewed on Japanese TV several times, but where the interviews took place I am not sure. I suspect he will come to Japan at some point if he is not here already. It would be a news item (Yesterday Hideki Matsui arrived, and that was in the news.) But it is possible that I missed the news.

    csh19792001: His career splits are quite impressive. I wonder why he hits lefties better than righties though. I wonder how common it is for a player to hit the same-handed pitchers better than the opposite-handed pitchers?

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by Gaijin
      I am not aware of him returning to Japan, but I'm just not sure. He's been interviewed on Japanese TV several times, but where the interviews took place I am not sure. I suspect he will come to Japan at some point if he is not here already. It would be a news item (Yesterday Hideki Matsui arrived, and that was in the news.) But it is possible that I missed the news.

      csh19792001: His career splits are quite impressive. I wonder why he hits lefties better than righties though. I wonder how common it is for a player to hit the same-handed pitchers better than the opposite-handed pitchers?
      It's extremely rare- look through the ledgers, and you'll see just what an abberation it really is. I can't figure it.

      Comment


      • #93
        Update for Edgartohof:

        Ichiro returned to Japan yesterday (Dec. 5). I don't have any other news.

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by Gaijin
          Update for Edgartohof:

          Ichiro returned to Japan yesterday (Dec. 5). I don't have any other news.
          Thank you for the update.
          Last edited by Edgartohof; 02-04-2005, 11:12 PM.

          Comment


          • #95
            BASEBALL
            Ichiro attends Ogi's Hall of Fame induction
            Wednesday, December 8, 2004 at 07:14 JST
            OSAKA — Seattle Mariners star Ichiro and his wife Yumiko were among the celebrities attending the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame induction ceremony held Tuesday for former Orix BlueWave manager Akira Ogi.

            Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Hideo Nomo, Orix Buffaloes player Yoshitomo Tani and wife Ryoko, a six-time world champion judoka, were also among the 400 guests who gathered at an Osaka hotel to honor the 69-year-old newly appointed manager of the Orix Buffaloes. (Kyodo News)

            Comment


            • #96
              I was getting bored, and I didn't want to lose this thread to the depths of this forum.

              These are my predictions for what I think Ichiro will get this coming up season barring disaster (injury, etc...):

              159 G, 702 AB, 248 H, 103 R, 26 2B, 7 3B, 12 HR, 73 RBI, 65 SO, 63 BB, 44 SB, 13 CS, 324 TB, .353 BA, .402 OBP, .461 Slg

              Of course, He could get more AB's, which would in turn give him more hits, which could mean 250+ hits again. I also guessed very conservative on the Runs, but with the new power behind him (almost like 2001), he could get quite a few more - 115+ Runs. I see him getting a few more HR's - they will just "occur" naturally. As long as they allow him to do his thing, his SB's may pick up, but I did guess high, but expect at least 35 SB's. According to things Ichiro has said about knowing what to do when hitting, he could easily hit at a higher BA - some have mentioned .400+ BA.

              Comment


              • #97
                Ichiro testimonial litho

                just saw a great Ichiro lithograph at Starstruck.com

                Comment


                • #98
                  Meaningless Record by an Insignificant Figure

                  When Ichiro was going for the hit record last year, I heard a radio sports show hosts state that the hits record was a meaningless record and that George Sisler was an insignificant, long forgotten, player in the history of baseball. In fact, I heard it both in Chicago and in Detroit by different hosts. Just that alone makes them unworthy of even talking baseball in my book. I just wish that one city could just have one hosts who has some knowledge in the game and history than the one's I usually have to listen to.
                  In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Well, after hitting .429 after the all-star break last year, Ichiro is continuing in like fashion here in Spring Training, with 8 hits in 18 AB's, with 1 2B and 1 3B. This adds up to:

                    .444 BA, and a .611 Slg! Not bad, and since Ichiro having a good Spring Training seems to lead to a good year ahead, there should be many great things ahead!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by HDH
                      When Ichiro was going for the hit record last year, I heard a radio sports show hosts state that the hits record was a meaningless record and that George Sisler was an insignificant, long forgotten, player in the history of baseball. In fact, I heard it both in Chicago and in Detroit by different hosts. Just that alone makes them unworthy of even talking baseball in my book. I just wish that one city could just have one hosts who has some knowledge in the game and history than the one's I usually have to listen to.
                      Notice my location....
                      "He can get 10 hits in five at-bats." -Joe Torre, exasperated after seeing Ichiro hit a routine ground ball to shortstop and cross first with an infield single.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Sweet Lou
                        Notice my location....
                        Are you a radio host? I was referring to these radio hosts lack of historical perspective.
                        In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by HDH
                          Are you a radio host? I was referring to these radio hosts lack of historical perspective.
                          No No, I'm referring to bad baseball in Chicago. I was listening to sports radio one day a few years back, after hockey season had ended, basketball season had ended, and before football camp had started, and were they talking any baseball at all? No, they were talking about what's her face the women golfer... You'd think they'd talk baseball, but no, they talk horse racing, golf, bowling, even figure skating, before giving much time to baseball. Then, when they do, they usually only give the scores for the 2 Chicago teams, as if there aren't any other teams out there.

                          But, I got cable now, so maybe I'll catch more baseball this year!
                          "He can get 10 hits in five at-bats." -Joe Torre, exasperated after seeing Ichiro hit a routine ground ball to shortstop and cross first with an infield single.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • Now I can see wanting to let some players get enough AB's so that the coaches can get an idea of how good they are, but they really need to let Ichiro play more, to let him get into a groove. While he has had 20 AB's, that is not the most on the team, and with him hitting .500 and all, it wouldn't exactly be such a bad idea (we might actually win some games - oh, what a thought!).

                            I just keep getting more and more excited as it gets closer to the season. I want to see if Ichiro can improve upon last year. Of course I have become spoiled as a Mariner's fan, especially after 2001, I have come to expect a good team (maybe last year was a good thing, it brought me back to earth a little), I hope I won't be dissapointed if Ichiro only hits around .350 and gets 240 hits

                            I skimmed through the 2005 Baseball Prospectus the other day, and under Ichiro, it said the chances for Ichiro to have a "breakout" season was 0%!!!

                            Where is their faith!?!?

                            While it is unlikely that he will repeat last season, there is still a chance, and I would love to see what else he can do. I just love seeing this dead-ball-era-singles-hitter tearing up the league! It's exciting!

                            I just hope that after all of the money that was poured into the team this past off-season, that the Mariner's can do something with it. While it is most likely certain that Ichiro will produce, Sexson has been injured recently, Beltre is yet unproven (although last year was great), and Boone may not see another '01, or '03 again (although a good glove and ~20 HR's should suffice).

                            All in all, we should have a good year (a little worried about the pitching).

                            But you know what, all of that other "stuff" belongs in a different thread, so I will stop here.
                            Last edited by Edgartohof; 03-13-2005, 09:47 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Edgartohof
                              Now I can see wanting to let some players get enough AB's so that the coaches can get an idea of how good they are, but they really need to let Ichiro play more, to let him get into a groove. While he has had 20 AB's, that is not the most on the team, and with him hitting .500 and all, it wouldn't exactly be such a bad idea (we might actually win some games - oh, what a thought!).
                              I think he's getting enough playing time, so I wouldn't worry about it. He's clearly ready to go and just needs to stay sharp. Don't want him to get tired or waste too many hits when it doesn't count.

                              I skimmed through the 2005 Baseball Prospectus the other day, and under Ichiro, it said the chances for Ichiro to have a "breakout" season was 0%!!!
                              I suppose he already had his "breakout" season in 2001.
                              I am hoping to see him make a run at .400, although I realize that's a very high bar. ST doesn't count for anything, but right now he's hitting over .500 in ST, so he seems to be picking up where he left off last year, with his phenomenal 2nd half. If he has 700 at bats, he would need 280 hits to hit .400.

                              Waiting is always the hardest part. Hopefully it will be worth the wait for M's fans this year.

                              :gt

                              Comment


                              • Ichiro this season

                                I think Ichiro should be able to match his hit total of last year...if he has no 'slump months' which dogged him at the beginning of last season. What I'd like to see him do is break Sisler's record of hits in the same amount of games Sisler had!


                                Pete
                                Ice Ice Ichiro
                                www.geocities.com/Philidae

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X