No announcement yet.

Ichiro Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know that Spring Training numbers don't mean much of everything, but they are sure getting me excited about this upcoming year.

I mean Ichiro has been red hot this spring, getting at least one hit in every game, and that was before tonight.

Through ONLY 6 innings (when he was pulled out), he was 4-4, with a triple, 1 RBI, 2 Runs (would have been three if they did not pull him after the triple), and 2 Stolen Bases!

That means, for this entire Spring, Ichiro has:

22 Hits, 38 AB's, 3 2B's, 2 3B's, 7 Runs, 4 RBI, 5 SB's, .579 BA, .763 Slg!!!!!!!

and so far, he is leading in BA, and Hits (of course)!

But then again, like I said, these numbers don't mean much of anything - YEAH RIGHT!!! :gt

Comment

• Originally posted by Edgartohof
      I know that Spring Training numbers don't mean much of everything, but they are sure getting me excited about this upcoming year.

I mean Ichiro has been red hot this spring, getting at least one hit in every game, and that was before tonight.

Through ONLY 6 innings (when he was pulled out), he was 4-4, with a triple, 1 RBI, 2 Runs (would have been three if they did not pull him after the triple), and 2 Stolen Bases!

That means, for this entire Spring, Ichiro has:

22 Hits, 38 AB's, 3 2B's, 2 3B's, 7 Runs, 4 RBI, 5 SB's, .579 BA, .763 Slg!!!!!!!

and so far, he is leading in BA, and Hits (of course)!

But then again, like I said, these numbers don't mean much of anything - YEAH RIGHT!!! :gt
      He also has a 12-game hitting streak (25-game hitting streak if you include the end of last year). Too bad it doesn’t count. h I’m going to make a bold prediction that Ichiro will hit.400 or more this year.

I hope his teammates help him score more runs though. 7 runs is not a whole lot when you reach base so many times. Last year he barely reached 100 runs despite setting the single-season hits record.

Comment

• Hardly fair to put this on the Ichiro thread

Originally posted by Sweet Lou
        No No, I'm referring to bad baseball in Chicago. I was listening to sports radio one day a few years back, after hockey season had ended, basketball season had ended, and before football camp had started, and were they talking any baseball at all? No, they were talking about what's her face the women golfer... You'd think they'd talk baseball, but no, they talk horse racing, golf, bowling, even figure skating, before giving much time to baseball. Then, when they do, they usually only give the scores for the 2 Chicago teams, as if there aren't any other teams out there.
        Well, at least they talk sports. I was stuck in snowsorm traffic one morning and heard a Detroit radio host (the final time I will ever listen to that station) describe how he likes to wad the toilet paper to wipe himself... Detroit's a crappy town in so many ways.
        In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

Comment

• i think if he walks more, he's got a better chance of hitting .400. it'll be awfully hard for him to do it with another 700 ab season like he had last year. but walking just isn't his game, putting the ball in play, is. i wonder, though, what the addition of beltre and sexson will have on the pitches he sees.

Comment

• Originally posted by akbravesfan
            i think if he walks more, he's got a better chance of hitting .400. it'll be awfully hard for him to do it with another 700 ab season like he had last year. but walking just isn't his game, putting the ball in play, is. i wonder, though, what the addition of beltre and sexson will have on the pitches he sees.
            Well if he hits .400, he'll start getting more walks, whether he likes it or not.

Comment

• Ichiro is continuing to give us all a show this Spring, going 2-4 with 2 runs, in tonights win over the Los Angeles Angels of Aneheim!!! (sorry HG).

Isn't it sad, when going 2-4 hurts your batting average? Well that is what it did for Ichiro.

But in any case, Ichiro is now hitting .571, with 24 hits (still leading in both categories), and no other player is hitting over .500 this spring, and the closest person (Tony Womack) is hitting about 90 points lower (around .488).

He is also being aggressive on the basepaths (like Hargrove wants), and it is paying off very well.

The team is finally starting to get Ichiro in, which is always nice, but it is not coming from the power in the middle of the lineup (Boone, Sexson, Beltre), who are not hitting Homeruns this spring, although it is starting to peak its head out there, as Sexson has 2 HR's, Boone was close a couple (3?) times the other nights, and Beltre has been starting to see and hit the ball better as of late (a nice hit tonight).

But all of that extra stuff has nothing to do with Ichiro, so that is all I have to say on that for now.

Comment

• do you know how many runs ichiro has scored this spring?

Comment

• Originally posted by akbravesfan
                  do you know how many runs ichiro has scored this spring?
                  Dag, Ichiro is slugging .738! And 9 Runs. Hm, he needs more runs...
                  Player - G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB SB CS SF SH HBP SLG AVG
                  Suzuki 13-42-9-24-3-2- 0 - 4 -31-5 -2 -0 - 0 - 0 -.738-.571
                  Last edited by Sweet Lou; 03-24-2005, 09:32 PM.
                  "He can get 10 hits in five at-bats." -Joe Torre, exasperated after seeing Ichiro hit a routine ground ball to shortstop and cross first with an infield single.
                  sigpic

Comment

• it took around 47 AB's, but Ichiro was finally struck out.

Not bad when you think about it.

Now Ichiro may not hit .400, or get 263 hits, but overall as a hitter (and a player), he is much better. He is much more disciplined at the plate, and his bat control just gets better and better each day.

Now the way he is playing, all of these high marks may seem possible, but not even Ichiro himself wants to say he can or will reach them. He has even said that he does not nessecarily want to hit .400, to keep people asking, "who will be the next...".

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

This link here has a wonderful article about where Ichiro is, an what he hopes to accomplish.

Comment

• On Friday, Kansas City lefty Brian Anderson fanned Suzuki on a check swing, his first strikeout in 50 plate appearances this spring. Any hitter probably would take that kind of ratio.

Not Suzuki.

"When you get a bad result, of course you're disappointed," he said.

From that link...

Ichiro could hit .430 this season and still find something to be disappointed about. All in all, Ichiro is just amazing. He's like ty cobb among babe ruth, jimmie foxx, hornsby. Instead, it's ichiro among Bonds, Sosa, Thome, A Rod, Manny.
                      "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
                      Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
                      Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
                      Bo Jackson

Comment

• I don't know that trying to get more walks would give him a better chance to hit .400. The thing is he has a better average actually early in the count (I've looked at splits that show this, although I can't find them now. For example on first and second pitches he hits over .400 if he puts the ball in play). If he goes deep in the count and tries to work walks and not swing at borderline pitches (which he is perfectly capable of hitting) then he will get more walks, but also more strikeouts This may possibly increase his OBP but it would lower his batting average, because walks don't help your batting average. Of course he should probably not swing at obvious balls, but he can swing at borderline pitches because he can actually get hits on those.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Splendid Splinter

Ichiro could hit .430 this season and still find something to be disappointed about

I'd love to be disappointed like that

Comment

• Ichiro has extended his hitting streak now to 16 Spring Training games, breaking Mariner's (and all-time) great Ken Griffey Jr.'s streak of 15.

He is still leading in hits (28), and BA (.519).

He is also staying agressive on the bases, with another stolen base (number 6).

I am going crazy waiting for the season to start. The offense for our team has picked up considerably (due much in part to spring training pitching - minor leaguers, etc...), and while the pitching hasn't been great, it has shown some fight in it. And with Ichiro leading the way for the team, we have a chance to be right back in the thick of things this year.

Comment

• Spring Training is over, the season has begun, and the first game is now in the books!

Just to recap for Ichiro, he went 2-4 with 1 Run.

So he just needs 261 more hits to set a new single season hits record - can he do it?

Comment

• 259 hits to go!

The Mariner's lost last night, and only scored in the 1st inning, but after that, Santana was lights out.

Ichiro went 2-4 again with 1 run and 1 Stolen Base.

Just like Grover said, the team (Ichiro ) is being more aggressive on the basepaths - yes I know it is only through game 2, but if Ichiro keeps it up, he could easily surpass his '01 totals of 56 SB's.

I just realized that already, 2 of Ichiro's hits have been infield singles already! So he he is still going by the motto, "hit 'em where they are, and run like heck"!
                                Last edited by Edgartohof; 04-06-2005, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X