Ichiro Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 255 hits to go for the record!

In the last game of the last series, again, Ichiro went 2-4, to keep his average up at .500 - why should he settle for just .400?

Already tonight, through 5 innings, Ichiro is 2-3 with 1 Run, 1 RBI, and 1 SB (his third for the season).

My question here is who has the record for most multiple hit games to start a season?

Comment

• To finish the game, Ichiro was intentionally walked twice!

So for those of you who think that he won't get walked this season, think again.

For the season, Ichiro is now 8-15, with: 2 (intentional) walks, 3 SB's, 4 Runs, 1 RBI, and a .533 BA

He is towards/at the top in BA, tied for second in hits, leading (tied?) in SB's, and around the top 10 in Runs.
      Last edited by Edgartohof; 04-08-2005, 11:49 PM.

Comment

• This is the kind of start he needed last year to hit .400. If he keeps this up, he may well do it. I hope he does, but even if he doesn't it'll be fun to watch. as for the walks... well, I was thinking more along the lines of HIM taking walks as opposed to being given walks. Although I did laugh my ass off when I saw the box score this morning and saw not one but TWO IBB's (couldn't catch the game, too many visitors last night).

Comment

• 253!

Originally posted by akbravesfan
          This is the kind of start he needed last year to hit .400. If he keeps this up, he may well do it. I hope he does, but even if he doesn't it'll be fun to watch. as for the walks... well, I was thinking more along the lines of HIM taking walks as opposed to being given walks. Although I did laugh my ass off when I saw the box score this morning and saw not one but TWO IBB's (couldn't catch the game, too many visitors last night).

I was thinking about changing my previous post, but I decided to keep it as is.

Ichiro's style of play does not have him taking many walks, but because he is so feared, he will be walked more. Everybody says that the only way he can hit .400 is to have more walks, well, I figure it doesn't matter how the walks come about, just as long as he gets the desired results.

But of course this is only the first week of the season, and there are many more to go, so I have no idea what is going to happen, but I will continue to be happy with what he is doing right now.

The Mariner's lost the game today (Guardado blew their 3 run 8th inning lead), but again, Ichiro went 2-4 (look familiar?), with a double, and 2 runs.

So in each of his first 5 games, he has had 2 hits! Not too shabby of a start.

Comment

• Man, talk about a costly error! If Booney had made that play on a routine grounder the M's would have won 6-4. Blaylock's homer would have been a solo shot and Texiera's strikeout would have ended the game.

Lessee. Today Ichiro also got, correct me if I'm wrong, his first extra-base hit and his first non-intentional base-on-balls. Ichiro's hot out of the gate this year unlike last year, although this is of course only a drop in the bucket so far with 157 games still to play.

Ichiro is 66 hits away from 1000 MLB hits. If he averages 1.5 hits per game after this (243 hits per 162 games pace, which I consider conservative for Ichiro) it would come on May 29.

If Ichiro does manage to hit .400 this year, I bet there will be people that say hitting .400 is overrated, just like many discounted his hits record last year by pointing out his relative scarcity of walks and extra-base hits. They wouldn't be satisfied unless he also hits 30 homers and walks 100 times.
            I think to hit .400 the key for him is to strike out as little as possible, because he has a great batting average when he puts the ball in play, especially ground balls. To draw a lot of the unintentional sort of walks, you have to go deep in the count of course, which increases the chance of a strikeout result as well as a walk result.

Comment

• Ichiro went 1-4 yesterday afternoon, his first single hit game this season (hopefully we don't see too many of those this year ). For the first time this season as well, his BA has dropped below .500 (.478)! But it could easily get back up there today.

The nice start that he has had so far is much better than what we had to endure through last year at this time (although we aren't really winning much more ).

Comment

• I got a question for fellow Ichiro fans...

As you know, he was in the commercial made by MLB called "I live for this." where he speaks Japanese and have English subtitles on the bottom.

I'm intersted to know the exact phrases that he used in the commercial, I try to type on the computer when the commercial comes up but the way commercial goes is way too fast for my finger, although I do type 60-65 wpm.

If any fellow Ichiro/Mariners fan can help me out, I'll be appreciated.
                Frank's Field of Dreams
                "If I build it, you'll come."

Comment

• Welcome to Baseball Fever Ichiro51. Another Ichiro fan is a very welcome addition. I'm fluent in Japanese, but I haven't seen the commercial you mention. If you can find a link to it I could view it later at home and tell you. Maybe it's on the Mariner's official site? Right now I'm at work.

Comment

• Thanks.

The commercial don't run anymore, MLB show him and several other foreign players (Sosa, Pedro in Spanish) etc to do those commercials during post season of 2003.

I remember couple line goes like this.

"Being a baseball player, I try to do my best blah blah blah etc."

I hope that helps.
                    Frank's Field of Dreams
                    "If I build it, you'll come."

Comment

• Having never seen the commercial it would be hard to guess what he said. Even with just one sentence 10 translators would probably come up with 10 different translations, each meaning more or less the same thing but worded differently. So if something is translated into one language and then a different translator translates it back into the original language without knowing the original wording, it will probably be different. I would translate "Being a baseball player, I try to do my best..." into Japanese as "Yakyu senshu to shite, itsumo ganbatte..."

Comment

• Following Ichiro's "400 cushion"

Tomorrow is a day off for the Mariners.

In the meantime to distract myself I thought about the mathematics of hitting .400. Since .400 is 2/5 it's very simple mathematically. So for every 5 at bats he needs at least 2 hits to hit .400. If he hits above .400 he will build what I'll call a "400 cushion." The "400 cushion" as I define it is the number of at bats that he can go hitless in and still remain above .400.

At present Ichiro has 13 hits in 28 at bats for a .464 average. His 400 cushion is currently at 4, meaning he could go 0 for 4 in his next 4 at bats and still be above .400 but if he goes 0 for 5 in his next 5 he will drop below it.

Since going 0 for 5 in a single game is entirely possible, a 400 cushion of 5 could be considered a one-game cushion and 10 would be a two-game cushion, etc.

Ichiro has not gone hitless in a game yet but it's sure to happen eventually, so he needs to build up his 400 cushion if he hopes to hit .400 this year.

Tracking the 400 cushion for each at bat is simple: Each at bat reduces it by 1 while each hit increases it by 2.5 on average, or specifically 2 for odd-numbered hits or 3 for even-numbered hits. For example his next hit will be his 14th, so it will increase by 3. Of course, each hit also accompanies an at bat, so getting a hit only actually nets 1 or 2 for the 400 cushion. Therefore if his next at bat results in a hit, his 400 cushion will increase to 6 at that point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gaijin
                          "Being a baseball player, I try to do my best..." into Japanese as "Yakyu senshu to shite, itsumo ganbatte..."

Close enough, but I'd take out yakyu add meijaa riigu
                          and the last part I'd change to dekiru dake ganbatte iru...

Hard to follow non-Yankees/Mariners from here huh...

Comment

• Originally posted by Be The Reds!
                            Close enough, but I'd take out yakyu add meijaa riigu
                            and the last part I'd change to dekiru dake ganbatte iru...

Hard to follow non-Yankees/Mariners from here huh...
                            Hello fellow Japan resident.

Just goes to prove that different translators will use different wording, so it's impossible to guess what he said in Japanese by looking at an English translation, wouldn't you agree?

I grew up in upstate NY so my interest in the Yankees predates their signing of Matsui. I started following the Mariners, however when they signed Ichiro. I like both Matsui and Ichiro anyway, so I'm happy with the TV arrangements. I guess you'll have to hope the Orioles sign a Japanese player someday if you want to see much of them unless they're playing the Yankees. I was also a Bernie Williams fan, which is part of why I like Ichiro (Ichiro wear the number 51 in honor of Bernie), although I like him for himself anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gaijin
                              Hello fellow Japan resident.

Just goes to prove that different translators will use different wording, so it's impossible to guess what he said in Japanese by looking at an English translation, wouldn't you agree?

I grew up in upstate NY so my interest in the Yankees predates their signing of Matsui. I started following the Mariners, however when they signed Ichiro. I like both Matsui and Ichiro anyway, so I'm happy with the TV arrangements. I guess you'll have to hope the Orioles sign a Japanese player someday if you want to see much of them unless they're playing the Yankees. I was also a Bernie Williams fan, which is part of why I like Ichiro (Ichiro wear the number 51 in honor of Bernie), although I like him for himself anyway.

Well lucky you, being a Yankees fan, you only have to deal with the time difference to be able to watch your team.

If I watch every game that they broadcast here, I'll see the O's maybe 20 times... (18 when they play the Yankees, 2 or 3 when they play the Mariners, depending on if the Yankees are in the same timezone or not, since they get priority)

I was surprised at least that on FUJI TV sports last night they showed a Tejada highlight.

I was praying that Matsui would stay Orange and Black and sign with the Orioles in 2003, but it appears he already had his mind made up, even tho newspapers were reporting that the O's had interest.. (Dammit, if only Jeter played left!) I was hoping and praying that somehow that Little Matsui would have gone to the O's instead of the Mets in 2004, just so I could watch them more often, but I am of course glad that we got Tejada instead. I was also hoping that there would be a Kazuhisa Ishii for Jerry Hariston trade that many people were talking about last year, but that didn't happen either. We need pitching help and Nomo somehow goes to the Devil Rays! The RAYS! This must be like the 4th or 5th time that the O's have passed on Nomo once he became a free agent, even though they needed pitching. Nomo might be old, and he may not be like he was in the mid '90s, but he'd be at the very least, the #3 pitcher on our team.

Sigh...

Can we trade outfields with you? (Bigbie, Matos, Sosa, Surhoff for Matsui, Williams, Sheffield, Sierra)... Yeah, I know, it's not even fair...

So what do you think about watching NPB.. simply not the same.. right?

Comment

• 250 to go!

Well, last night, Ichiro went 2-5 last night with a double. While he did not score a run, he did have 2 RBI!

So he has had a multilple hits in all but one game this year so far.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X