1995-2005 Where has the time gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995-2005 Where has the time gone?

So where has the time gone? Looking back, I see all that this team has done. Over the past 10 years, they have turned from the weaklings of the West to a yearly powerhouse - a force to be reckoned with.

For every Seattle fan, 1995 holds a special place in their hearts. Many can tell you the place they were when Randy threw that last pitch and threw up his hands. When Edgar hit that double. Refuse to lose was what they said then - and that is exactly what they did. The team pulled together and persevered. They came from behind almost too late and ended up on top. Although the team may not have gotten past the 2nd round of the playoffs, what they did do in the first round was enough to keep what was once a perennial losing team in the game for good.

It has been 10 years, and now after the loss of Mariner's (and all-time) great Edgar Martinez, and the recent addition of Jeff Nelson, there are only two remaining players left from that historic season in our teams past - Jeff Nelson and Dan Wilson. So while we remember the greats from that season who have gone on and retired or moved on (Edgar, Buhner, Griffey, Johnson, even Rodriguez), we still have two players whose names will be on the books who are here, and I will watcher and root for them every day of the season, no matter what happens

I say that for this season, all Mariner's fans need to support our team like never before, and help them on their way back to the top. Just like in '95, after coming off a bad year (the strike in '94), here in '05, we are coming off our worst year in over a decade. The team needs our help, so we will give it to them!

If anyone wants, they can share their favorite memories of the Mariner's (I'm looking for those from '95, but they don't have to be).

A lot of people were as optimistic as this guy at the beginning of the season, too bad how things worked out.

Personally, as a Seattle resident and baseball fan, I'm kind of sick of hearing about that 1995 team. I think the continued celebration of that season as some sort of magic moment just hilights the loser mentality of this franchise. Their greatest moment was a team that lost the ALCS,... and went on to win absolutely nothing in the following seasons. The fans in this city seem to embrace mediocrity, it's a little embarrasing.
    "The kid doesn't chew tobacco, smoke, drink, curse or chase broads. I don't see how he can possibly make it." - Richie Ashburn

Comment

Originally posted by seaphil
      A lot of people were as optimistic as this guy at the beginning of the season, too bad how things worked out.

Personally, as a Seattle resident and baseball fan, I'm kind of sick of hearing about that 1995 team. I think the continued celebration of that season as some sort of magic moment just hilights the loser mentality of this franchise. Their greatest moment was a team that lost the ALCS,... and went on to win absolutely nothing in the following seasons. The fans in this city seem to embrace mediocrity, it's a little embarrasing.
      Without that 1995 team, Seattle might not have a baseball team today. Keep in mind prior to that season, the Mariners had only one winning season in their existence. The 1995 club's run to the ALCS, with the one game playoff win against the Angels and the the come from behind win against the Yanks in game 5, probably spurred the voters to build the new ballpark. No one is saying the 1995 team was the greatest ever, but Mariners fans have a right to fondly remember that team.

Comment

You're right, and I don't want to come off like some overcritical party pooper, but the way they talk about that team around here, you would think they won it all. I just think that you should hold that kind of praise for a team that actually won something. I really think that there's a "second best is good enough" mentality around here. Actually, last place seems to be good enough based on the M's attendance figures, a fact that the ownership is indeed very aware of.
        "The kid doesn't chew tobacco, smoke, drink, curse or chase broads. I don't see how he can possibly make it." - Richie Ashburn

Comment

Well I love talking about the 2003 Cubs. And their biggest moment was when a fan grabbed a ball that "Cursed" the team. Every team has a season that was special for them even if it ended with a crushing, heart stabbing, breath taking, life ending (ok maybe now im exagerating) loss.
          "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
          -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
          -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

I have one memory about the Mariners, and it is not a good one, although I can laugh about it 12 years later.

On October the 4th, 1992 I came to Seattle to start a roundtrip through the (North) West of the US.

It was the final day of the season and I was hoping to be in time for the final Mariners game that year. When I came at the Kingdome, I heard some fireworks. I slowly became aware that my first MLB game had vanished right before my eyes. When I saw two men, I asked them if the game had started already... Started?, they said. It is the eighth inning...

Comment

Actually, last place seems to be good enough based on the M's attendance figures, a fact that the ownership is indeed very aware of.
              This is a very good point. The M's brass tried to save some face by paying Sexson and Beltre huge deals. Granted Sexson did alright, Beltre IMO, didn't do anything to bolster my confidence in the team. The ownership has said so themselves- they just want to keep the team good enough to keep the fans coming. If Ichiro would to be traded or injured, I guarantee you'll see a significant drop in attendance.

Last thought- When is Bavasi going to nut up and get some pitching? When your ace is 73 year old Jamie Moyer, you know you're in trouble... Come on!
              WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

My first Mariner memory was in 96. It was my first game and I got to see a Griffy Homer. Now almost 10 years later, I still remember it.
                go M's/BSox :gt

There is no "I" in "team."
                But there is an "I" in "win."

If you like football as much as baseball, then www.pigskin-fever.com is for you.

Comment

Last thought- When is Bavasi going to nut up and get some pitching? When your ace is 73 year old Jamie Moyer, you know you're in trouble... Come on![/QUOTE]

This is something that troubles all Ms fans and I think this offseason they will come around -- allthough there have been rumors that Manny might be on his way to Seattle. Don't get me wrong, Manny's a great player, but I'd be a lot happier if they spent $20 million on somebody like Johan Santana.

Comment

Originally posted by papa~smurf
                    My first Mariner memory was in 96. It was my first game and I got to see a Griffy Homer. Now almost 10 years later, I still remember it.

Yeah I'm from the great state of Alabama (much sarcasm) so I've only been up there to see a game once. It was in July of '99 and ARod hit a grand slam in the 7th to beat the D'backs in interleague.

Comment

Our ace went from 42 to 19. Felix Hernandez replaces Jamie. I think Moyer will be back next year, at 4 spot. If we could get Meche and Pinero up to where they should be, and get someone to fill the 5 hole with a decent pitcher, it would be nice to have more runs in Seattle. But they would look for good pitching and lefty power before Manny.
                      go M's/BSox :gt

There is no "I" in "team."
                      But there is an "I" in "win."

If you like football as much as baseball, then www.pigskin-fever.com is for you.

Comment

I worked at the kingdome from '93 as a bartender til they tore it down. During those years it amazed me that the crowds were so small up until the end of '95. We had some great players.

My favorite memory was, other than the great run of 1995, which was some of the most exciting baseball you could ever see, was getting to watch those amazing players during batting practice.

The foursome of: A-Rod, Griffey, Edgar, and Buhner, with their vastly different hitting styles, usually hit before they opened the doors to the public. So I would quickly set up my bar then sit and marvel!

A-Rod and Edgar would spray the ball all over the place then mash the last few out. Griffey would try and hit the roof a few times then sky a bunch to the 300 level. Sweetest swing I have ever seen! Buhner would just power everything out. Good Fun!

It sucks that 1995 and 2001 (116 wins, out in the ALCS) are Seattle's benchmarks. It does seem Seattle is O.K with mediocracy some times, But because of that 1995 team, and the excitement it generated, at least we still have baseball here!
                        Last edited by whatlyahave; 01-09-2006, 01:41 PM.

Comment

The 95 playoff game against the Angles was the best baseball game of all time!

Comment

many would agree with that - or at least a few (including myself)

Comment

Ok, so will you party if the Seahawks win the Super Bowl?
                              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X