X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raysnbran
    replied
    We can and we will

The Bucs got a new stadium only because it had to be voted on by the taxpayers and it got tied into community improvements for roads, police and fire etc, and it still only passed by a 53-47% vote. The Glazers were all ready to move to Baltimore before Art Modell moved the Browns, but the taxpayers came through to keep the team.

The Rays are a different animal. This area was passionate about baseball, but the current owner has drained all the excitement and enthusiasm out of the marketplace. He has alienated the local business community, has argued with fans, has thrown others teams scouts out of the building, has been the lowest payroll by far in baseball for forever...I could go on and on. :grouchy

In the late 80's early 90's MLB used this area as a sucker pawn to get other cities to build their teams new stadiums (Chicago WS, SF Giants, Minny Twins, Seattle etc). If only Selig would force Naimoli out of office and install a real owner, the fans would come back. Right now they refuse to support this owner, even though the team is playing well right now.

I will agree that with Florida's transient population, and where most everyone here is from somewhere else, old allegiances die hard. People here didn't live and die with the Devil Rays as a way of life, like they do in Boston or NY. People move here from those areas and continue to raise their kids as Red Sox and Yankee fans, even though Tampa Bay has its own team. That's a big part of the problem IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Velvet Kramer
    replied
    the only thing thats going to save this franchise is to move it to a city that cares about baseball and tampa ain't it. florida is great for minor league baseball and spring training but even the marlins cant get a new stadium and they have 2 world championships. the bucs got a new stadium before they ever won anything. that tells you all you need to know.

Leave a comment:

• raysnbran
    replied
    Might not be till '06

Our cheap owner doesn't want to start his free agency clock ticking any sooner than he has to. I would hope both he and Upton get called up after September 1st, but I'm not holding my breath. He certainly will get every opportunity to win a job in spring training. He was on local radio this past Saturday and came right out and said he has nothing left to prove in the minor leagues. We all hope he's here sooner rather than later :o

Leave a comment:

• tonjes
    replied
    dmitri was also highly touted as a cardinals' prospect, but he never turned into the player that a lot of people hoped he would be. while he has had a decent career, and continues to play at a respectable level, he isn't close to being a superstar. delmon has a long way to go before he saves any organizations. i'm sure the devil rays will find a way to ruin him anyways.

Leave a comment:

• NShlain
    started a topic Where is Delmon Young?

Where is Delmon Young?

I am a Tiger fan and Dimitri's little brother Delmon is the top prospect in the D-Ray orgonization. When is this guy coming up, I want to see him. I saw him at the futures game in Comerica Park with all of the top prospects from each orgonization. He doubled and walked in the futures game. He was the number one pick overall and he seems like the savior of Tampa Bay baseball for many years to come.
    I just want to know what's the deal with him, and when will he be in the bigs?

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X