• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burroughs sent to Tampa Bay for Brazelton

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

By BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer
    December 7, 2005
    SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Sean Burroughs had a charmed rise through baseball's ranks, until he couldn't hit home runs.

The third baseman, the son of 1974 AL MVP Jeff Burroughs, was traded from San Diego to Tampa Bay on Wednesday for right-hander Dewon Brazelton, who went AWOL for three weeks after being demoted in May.

Burroughs and Brazelton are both former first-round draft picks who've struggled. Burroughs was the ninth selection overall in the 1998 amateur draft, and Brazelton was taken with the third pick in 2001.

"This is a classic change-of-scenery trade involving two former No. 1 draft picks that are still young players with tremendous upsides," Devil Rays executive vice president Andrew Friedman said.

The 25-year-old Burroughs has a .282 career average in four major league seasons but slumped badly this year and has just 11 career homers.

He was sent to the minor leagues on July 23 to work on his swing; he came back 5 1/2 weeks later and finished with a .250 average, one homer and 17 RBIs.

Burroughs was on a boat in the South Pacific on Wednesday and not reachable for comment, agent Arn Tellem said.

Joe Randa, obtained from Cincinnati on the same day Burroughs was demoted, finished the season as San Diego's starting third baseman. Vinny Castilla will play third base for the Padres this year after being acquired from Washington on Nov. 3.

Burroughs starred in the Little League World Series in the early 1990s and helped the United States win the gold medal at the Sydney Olympics in 2000.

The Padres thought so highly of him as a rookie in 2002 that they made room for him at third base by moving Phil Nevin to first, and Ryan Klesko from first to right field.

Burroughs' rookie year was interrupted by injury, a slump and a demotion to Triple-A, but he returned later that season.

Brazelton, 25, was Tampa Bay's opening-day starter this season, going 1-8 with a 7.61 ERA in eight starts and 12 relief appearances.

He was put on major league baseball's restricted list in May after disappearing for three weeks after being demoted to the minors. He was sent down after allowing five runs on four hits and six walks in a loss to the Chicago White Sox on May 11.

When he returned to the majors, he refused to publicly discuss his absence.

Brazelton has an 8-23 career record with a 5.98 ERA in 41 starts and 13 relief appearances during four big league seasons.
    "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
    ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

sigpic

Burroughs

Sean Burroughs was DFA'ed yesterday, and with Brazelton struggling in AAA, it appears that this was a lose-lose trade. Longoria is our 3B of the future anyways. Adios Sean!
    Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X