Announcement

Collapse

Updated Baseball Fever Policy

Baseball Fever Policy

I. Purpose of this announcement:

This announcement describes the policies pertaining to the operation of Baseball Fever.

Baseball Fever is a moderated baseball message board which encourages and facilitates research and information exchange among fans of our national pastime. The intent of the Baseball Fever Policy is to ensure that Baseball Fever remains an extremely high quality, extremely low "noise" environment.

Baseball Fever is administrated by three principal administrators:
webmaster - Baseball Fever Owner
The Commissioner - Baseball Fever Administrator
Macker - Baseball Fever Administrator

And a group of forum specific super moderators. The role of the moderator is to keep Baseball Fever smoothly and to screen posts for compliance with our policy. The moderators are ALL volunteer positions, so please be patient and understanding of any delays you might experience in correspondence.

II. Comments about our policy:

Any suggestions on this policy may be made directly to the webmaster.

III. Acknowledgments:

This document was based on a similar policy used by SABR.

IV. Requirements for participation on Baseball Fever:

Participation on Baseball Fever is available to all baseball fans with a valid email address, as verified by the forum's automated system, which then in turn creates a single validated account. Multiple accounts by a single user are prohibited.

By registering, you agree to adhere to the policies outlined in this document and to conduct yourself accordingly. Abuse of the forum, by repeated failure to abide by these policies, will result in your access being blocked to the forum entirely.

V. Baseball Fever Netiquette:

Participants at Baseball Fever are required to adhere to these principles, which are outlined in this section.
a. All posts to Baseball Fever should be written in clear, concise English, with proper grammar and accurate spelling. The use of abbreviations should be kept to a minimum; when abbreviation is necessary, they should be either well-known (such as etc.), or explained on their first use in your post.

b. Conciseness is a key attribute of a good post.

c. Quote only the portion of a post to which you are responding.

d. Standard capitalization and punctuation make a large difference in the readability of a post. TYPING IN ALL CAPITALS is considered to be "shouting"; it is a good practice to limit use of all capitals to words which you wish to emphasize.

e. It is our policy NOT to transmit any defamatory or illegal materials.

f. Personal attacks of any type against Baseball Fever readers will not be tolerated. In these instances the post will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the personal attack via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue personal attacks will be banned from the site.

g. It is important to remember that many contextual clues available in face-to-face discussion, such as tone of voice and facial expression, are lost in the electronic forum. As a poster, try to be alert for phrasing that might be misinterpreted by your audience to be offensive; as a reader, remember to give the benefit of the doubt and not to take umbrage too easily. There are many instances in which a particular choice of words or phrasing can come across as being a personal attack where none was intended.

h. The netiquette described above (a-g) often uses the term "posts", but applies equally to Private Messages.

VI. Baseball Fever User Signature Policy

A signature is a piece of text that some members may care to have inserted at the end of ALL of their posts, a little like the closing of a letter. You can set and / or change your signature by editing your profile in the UserCP. Since it is visible on ALL your posts, the following policy must be adhered to:

Signature Composition
Font size limit: No larger than size 2 (This policy is a size 2)
Style: Bold and italics are permissible
Character limit: No more than 500 total characters
Lines: No more than 4 lines
Colors: Most colors are permissible, but those which are hard to discern against the gray background (yellow, white, pale gray) should be avoided
Images/Graphics: Allowed, but nothing larger than 20k and Content rules must be followed

Signature Content
No advertising is permitted
Nothing political or religious
Nothing obscene, vulgar, defamatory or derogatory
Links to personal blogs/websites are permissible - with the webmaster's written consent
A Link to your Baseball Fever Blog does not require written consent and is recommended
Quotes must be attributed. Non-baseball quotes are permissible as long as they are not religious or political

Please adhere to these rules when you create your signature. Failure to do so will result in a request to comply by a moderator. If you do not comply within a reasonable amount of time, the signature will be removed and / or edited by an Administrator. Baseball Fever reserves the right to edit and / or remove any or all of your signature line at any time without contacting the account holder.

VII. Appropriate and inappropriate topics for Baseball Fever:

Most concisely, the test for whether a post is appropriate for Baseball Fever is: "Does this message discuss our national pastime in an interesting manner?" This post can be direct or indirect: posing a question, asking for assistance, providing raw data or citations, or discussing and constructively critiquing existing posts. In general, a broad interpretation of "baseball related" is used.

Baseball Fever is not a promotional environment. Advertising of products, web sites, etc., whether for profit or not-for-profit, is not permitted. At the webmaster's discretion, brief one-time announcements for products or services of legitimate baseball interest and usefulness may be allowed. If advertising is posted to the site it will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the post via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue advertising will be banned from the site. If the advertising is spam-related, pornography-based, or a "visit-my-site" type post / private message, no warning at all will be provided, and the member will be banned immediately without a warning.

It is considered appropriate to post a URL to a page which specifically and directly answers a question posted on the list (for example, it would be permissible to post a link to a page containing home-road splits, even on a site which has advertising or other commercial content; however, it would not be appropriate to post the URL of the main page of the site). The site reserves the right to limit the frequency of such announcements by any individual or group.

In keeping with our test for a proper topic, posting to Baseball Fever should be treated as if you truly do care. This includes posting information that is, to the best of your knowledge, complete and accurate at the time you post. Any errors or ambiguities you catch later should be acknowledged and corrected in the thread, since Baseball Fever is sometimes considered to be a valuable reference for research information.

VIII. Role of the moderator:

When a post is submitted to Baseball Fever, it is forwarded by the server automatically and seen immediately. The moderator may:
a. Leave the thread exactly like it was submitted. This is the case 95% of the time.

b. Immediately delete the thread as inappropriate for Baseball Fever. Examples include advertising, personal attacks, or spam. This is the case 1% of the time.

c. Move the thread. If a member makes a post about the Marlins in the Yankees forum it will be moved to the appropriate forum. This is the case 3% of the time.

d. Edit the message due to an inappropriate item. This is the case 1% of the time. There have been new users who will make a wonderful post, then add to their signature line (where your name / handle appears) a tagline that is a pure advertisement. This tagline will be removed, a note will be left in the message so he/she is aware of the edit, and personal contact will be made to the poster telling them what has been edited and what actions need to be taken to prevent further edits.

The moderators perform no checks on posts to verify factual or logical accuracy. While he/she may point out gross errors in factual data in replies to the thread, the moderator does not act as an "accuracy" editor. Also moderation is not a vehicle for censorship of individuals and/or opinions, and the moderator's decisions should not be taken personally.

IX. Legal aspects of participation in Baseball Fever:

By submitting a post to Baseball Fever, you grant Baseball Fever permission to distribute your message to the forum. Other rights pertaining to the post remain with the ORIGINAL author, and you may not redistribute or retransmit any posts by any others, in whole or in part, without the express consent of the original author.

The messages appearing on Baseball Fever contain the opinions and views of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of Baseball Fever, or of the Baseball Almanac family of sites.

Sincerely,

Sean Holtz, Webmaster of Baseball Almanac & Baseball Fever
www.baseball-almanac.com | www.baseball-fever.com
"Baseball Almanac: Sharing Baseball. Sharing History."
See more
See less

Rays offseason moves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rays offseason moves

    This thread will be for all Rays fans and visitors to post updates and comments on any signings done to improve this team. Two signings this week were the re-signing of SP Jae Seo to a deal for $900K, and a late re-signing last night of DH-1B Greg Norton. Seo was 1-8 for the Rays after being traded here from LA but was a bit of a hard luck pitcher in terms of run support. He gave the Rays a chance to win in most games, and like a lot of our SPs, the bullpen would give it away. If the bullpen gets some upgrades, half those L's could turn into W's. Norton was a steady vet who put up decent numbers as his playing time increased. He even ended up being the AL Player of the Week for the last week of the regular season. He is a good utility guy who has some nice pop in his bat and a steady veteran presence in a clubhouse of a lot of young guys.

    Not earthshattering signings but the kind the Rays have to make and can afford. Next we need to re-sign Wigginton before he hits the open market.
    Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

  • #2
    Originally posted by raysnbran
    This thread will be for all Rays fans and visitors to post updates and comments on any signings done to improve this team. Two signings this week were the re-signing of SP Jae Seo to a deal for $900K, and a late re-signing last night of DH-1B Greg Norton. Seo was 1-8 for the Rays after being traded here from LA but was a bit of a hard luck pitcher in terms of run support. He gave the Rays a chance to win in most games, and like a lot of our SPs, the bullpen would give it away. If the bullpen gets some upgrades, half those L's could turn into W's. Norton was a steady vet who put up decent numbers as his playing time increased. He even ended up being the AL Player of the Week for the last week of the regular season. He is a good utility guy who has some nice pop in his bat and a steady veteran presence in a clubhouse of a lot of young guys.

    Not earthshattering signings but the kind the Rays have to make and can afford. Next we need to re-sign Wigginton before he hits the open market.
    At 1.2 million Seo is worth taking a shot on. He has good stuff but seems
    to lack confidence. He is another guy with potential, but at 29 years old,
    his time running out.
    I like Greg Norton alot. He is a top notch utility guy for sure. I also see him
    as a possible starter at 1b next year if no one better can be found.
    Wiggington had a great year. I'm sure other teams noticed so the Rays may need to pony up a few bucks to resign him.
    Last edited by Eddiey; 10-15-2006, 06:04 PM.
    A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Eddiey
      At 1.2 million Seo is worth taking a shot on. He has good stuff but seems
      to lack confidence. He is another guy with potential, but at 29 years old,
      his time running out.
      I like Greg Norton alot. He is a top notch utility guy for sure. I also see him
      as a possible starter at 1b next year if no one better can be found.
      Wiggington had a great year. I'm sure other teams noticed so the Rays may need to pony up a few bucks to resign him.

      Wigginton is gone.. D'Rays will never spend the money..Besides we have all those hot prospects..

      North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla

      Comment


      • #4
        Jeff Ridgway

        Looks like he impressed people with his work in Havana for USA Baseball at the COPABE Olympic Qualifier.

        Four appearances, 2.2 innings, 0-0 0.00, allowing three hits and twow alks but fanning five.

        Glad to see he's on the 40 man...kid deserves it.
        sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Ridgway

          And Kevin Witt gets waived. He was the IL MVP but a bust again when called back up to the majors. If he clears waivers, hopefully he re-signs again with Durham. He was a popular player down there and they would love to see him back. Don't know much about Ridgway, but pitching is the only way this team will improve enough to compete with the teams in our division...
          Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by raysnbran
            And Kevin Witt gets waived. He was the IL MVP but a bust again when called back up to the majors. If he clears waivers, hopefully he re-signs again with Durham. He was a popular player down there and they would love to see him back. Don't know much about Ridgway, but pitching is the only way this team will improve enough to compete with the teams in our division...
            That I can't understand. What did they judge him on??? The .145 September performance??? SOMEBODY will pick him up.

            Granted, I'm a Red Sox fan, but I do go down to the Naimoli complex to watch the action in the spring. I've met Ridgway..good level-headed kid. He's paid his dues in the minors.
            sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SDL
              That I can't understand. What did they judge him on??? The .145 September performance??? SOMEBODY will pick him up.

              Granted, I'm a Red Sox fan, but I do go down to the Naimoli complex to watch the action in the spring. I've met Ridgway..good level-headed kid. He's paid his dues in the minors.
              What sealed Witts fate could have been his on base percentage. His batting
              average was .148 and his obp was the same .148. Zero walks and 21 strikeouts
              in 61 at bats is something worse then just a poor performance. His other shot at the majors was in 2003 with the Tigers. He had 270 at bats and hit .263 with an obp of .301. The fact that he is 30 years old and probably has no more upside in him didn't help.
              A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart

              Comment


              • #8
                Witt

                Exactly Eddie. Some guys are just AAA players and can't get any higher. Nothing wrong with that, they can make a decent living doing something they love. But they've reached their level.
                Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

                Comment


                • #9
                  I was happy to see Norton re-sign. He had said he wanted to come back. Seo was another good signing. I thought the Rays signed Wigginton to a two year deal last year. I might be wrong.
                  Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
                  www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Brian Meadows

                    The Rays declined to pick up the 2007 option on Brian Meadows yesterday. He stepped in as the closer for a while after Tyler Walker went down, and saved 7 in a row, but then had a really bad stretch over 3 games, and never got the closer job back again. He was due $1.07M, and has said he would be willing to come back again for less money, so he might still be a part of the mix.
                    Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by raysnbran
                      The Rays declined to pick up the 2007 option on Brian Meadows yesterday. He stepped in as the closer for a while after Tyler Walker went down, and saved 7 in a row, but then had a really bad stretch over 3 games, and never got the closer job back again. He was due $1.07M, and has said he would be willing to come back again for less money, so he might still be a part of the mix.
                      The closer issue remins one of the biggest question marks for the Rays. It was clearly shown last year that they really need one. Anyone know the status of Tyler Walker?
                      Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
                      www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Walker

                        Didn't he get an operation for Tommy John surgery in June? He might be out all of 2007. McClung might get another shot, but don't forget about Shinji Mori. I think he might be ready for ST. A closer is important, but not as important for us as for, say the Red Sox. We can get our 65 wins without overpaying for a closer. With Papelbon moving to the rotation, unless they are counting on Foulke or Timlin, they don't have one, do they? Unless maybe they make Hansen a closer and hope lightning strikes twice for them with young fireballing closers.
                        Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by raysnbran
                          Didn't he get an operation for Tommy John surgery in June? He might be out all of 2007. McClung might get another shot, but don't forget about Shinji Mori. I think he might be ready for ST. A closer is important, but not as important for us as for, say the Red Sox. We can get our 65 wins without overpaying for a closer. With Papelbon moving to the rotation, unless they are counting on Foulke or Timlin, they don't have one, do they? Unless maybe they make Hansen a closer and hope lightning strikes twice for them with young fireballing closers.
                          I'm not saying spend a lot of money on a closer. But I can remember at least 10 times a decent closer would have allowed the Rays to win a few more games. Even bringing in someone like former Ray Roberto Hernandez would be an improvment. Mori is coming back from Tommy John surgery, there is nothing for certain with him.
                          Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
                          www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Tyler Walker

                            http://tampabay.devilrays.mlb.com/NA...ns.jsp?c_id=tb

                            Rays release former closer Tyler Walker on Friday. No great loss, as he had TJ surgery and was probably out for 2007 anyways. And tonypug, today's SP Times had quotes from Mori saying he would be ready for ST. He had a torn labrum, not TJ surgery.
                            Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by raysnbran
                              http://tampabay.devilrays.mlb.com/NA...ns.jsp?c_id=tb

                              Rays release former closer Tyler Walker on Friday. No great loss, as he had TJ surgery and was probably out for 2007 anyways. And tonypug, today's SP Times had quotes from Mori saying he would be ready for ST. He had a torn labrum, not TJ surgery.
                              Thanksfor the update. In my mind Mori is still a question mark, until he proves he can get batters out in the major leagues.
                              Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
                              www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X