Franchise turning point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franchise turning point?

You might say the series sweep of the Jays at Disney might be a turning point that this is not your father's Devil Rays, but we swept Texas at Disney in 2007 and still finished last. But should we hold on and beat Josh Beckett and the Sox today to complete a second consecutive sweep, this time of the defending World Series champions, we might look back at this series in 2011 and say that is when the franchise announced to the baseball world that things have changed and y'all better pay attention to us from now on. Even if we don't hold on (it's 2-0 Rays in the bottom of the 8th), we have certainly gotten the attention of the Sox and their legion of fans this weekend that we are not the doormats of the last decade anymore...
    Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

Originally posted by raysnbran View Post
    You might say the series sweep of the Jays at Disney might be a turning point that this is not your father's Devil Rays, but we swept Texas at Disney in 2007 and still finished last. But should we hold on and beat Josh Beckett and the Sox today to complete a second consecutive sweep, this time of the defending World Series champions, we might look back at this series in 2011 and say that is when the franchise announced to the baseball world that things have changed and y'all better pay attention to us from now on. Even if we don't hold on (it's 2-0 Rays in the bottom of the 8th), we have certainly gotten the attention of the Sox and their legion of fans this weekend that we are not the doormats of the last decade anymore...
    The Rays are hot and they are good. Just how good they are we will find
    out on the upcoming 9 game road trip.
    A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart

Comment

Just thought I'd make myself a target of opportunity and come in and congratulate the Rays for taking the Sox in a 3 game sweep. Even if we were without Lowell and with an injured Ortiz and half the team had the flu, that's still an accomplishment because of how well we'd been playing with the same problems before we hit Tampa.

That pitching staff you've assembled is something else and you're about to get Kazmir back. Maybe the league better start watching its tailfeatuers

Again, congrats. Looking forward to returning the favor when you guys hit Fenway in a few days. The most heated rivalry no one ever heard of (Sox-Rays) is about to become something real I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddiey View Post
        The Rays are hot and they are good. Just how good they are we will find
        out on the upcoming 9 game road trip.
        I have a ticket for one of the Baltimore games... a battle for first place?!

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
          Just thought I'd make myself a target of opportunity and come in and congratulate the Rays for taking the Sox in a 3 game sweep. Even if we were without Lowell and with an injured Ortiz and half the team had the flu, that's still an accomplishment because of how well we'd been playing with the same problems before we hit Tampa.

That pitching staff you've assembled is something else and you're about to get Kazmir back. Maybe the league better start watching its tailfeatuers

Again, congrats. Looking forward to returning the favor when you guys hit Fenway in a few days. The most heated rivalry no one ever heard of (Sox-Rays) is about to become something real I think.

Thanks for the congrats. Those games seemed like playoff games, great pitching on both sides. Garza was very shaky Friday in his return, but the bullpen slammed the door. Aki was hitting horribly, but Buchholz put it in the one spot that Aki can turn on, and he delivered. A tremendous pitching duel yesterday, that's the best Shields has looked all year. Like you said, we get Kazmir back next weekend, so they have some decisions to make about who the starters will be.
          Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

Comment

Right -- the kind of decisions that Tampa in its entire franchise history has never had to make -- how to shuffle around a large cadre of good pitchers to best advantage instead of trying to squeeze blood from a stone.

A lot of pewople, myself included, are going to have to readjust their thinking about the Rays soon. Games at the Trop are no longer gimmes

Comment

A lot of pewople, myself included, are going to have to readjust their thinking about the Rays soon. Games at the Trop are no longer gimmes
              How wonderful is that ?
              It's good for all of baseball for the Rays to finally be a serious baseball team. They've been around long enough that a 'Tampa' game seems like an occasional & traditional break in the 'real' scedule.
              This is an exciting time for Ray's fans, enjoy it !

Comment

As an FYI, the Trop is in St Petersburg, and the people on that side of the bay HATE it when anyone, fans or media or joe on the street, talk about playing "Tampa" or going down to Tampa for the game. If they had their way, the team would be the St Petersburg Rays or some such moniker. Tampa Bay is meant that the region would embrace it, not one side of the bay or the other. We probably would have been the Florida Rays (similar to the Twins and the cities of St Paul and Minneapolis) except the Marlins stole it first.

Comment

Anyone up for a game against the San Francisco Bay Athletics?

So if the Miami interests get their way and the Marlins are renamed the Miami Marlins, The Rays wouldn't hesitate to become the Florida Rays?

Actually that's catchier than the Tampa Bay Rays anyhow.

There's a lot about Florida baseball that still has that... AAA sense to it for lack of a better term. Too many gimmicks like the ridiculous cowbells you guys use as crowd-noise steroids, not enough focus on good, honest baseball like you'd find at Yankee Stadium or Fenway, or heck, even Camden Yards. I know part of the problem is that the baseball tradition in Florida isn't firmly entrenched and you've gotta do what you have to do to get a decent draw but you've got to understand that the impression of your franchise comes from more than just consistent years of unimpressive ballclubs. Until a couple years ago even the Royals got more credit. Nice to see the Rays on their way to turn it around but there's still a loooooong way this org needs to go.
                  Last edited by Imgran; 04-28-2008, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Anyone up for a game against the San Francisco Bay Athletics?

So, is this like smack talk, 'Tampa' style ?

Comment

I don't care for the cowbells either, and I'm a Rays fan, because I think it gives off a redneck kind of southern mentality impression, but it's the owners decision. It's his kind of Rally Monkey moment, based on the skit from SNL.

Making an analogy to the Bay area of California is not applicable since they have 2 teams. If we had two, we would have the same situation, one named Tampa XXX the other St Petersburg XXX.

And it's hard to build a tradition Imgran when your fellow neighbors from your neck of the woods move here and won't take off their gear from where they came from. You can't compare us to NY or BOS or BALT since you don't have the transient population that moved there from somewhere else. They move here and even raise their kids to root for a team based 1100 miles away. The only way we can build a fanbase is to win, and turn more and more residents towards supporting the HOME team rather than their FORMER team...

Comment

"I gotta have more Cowbell!! I got a Fever!!!! Sorry I had to do it! (if I could only find away to use googley eyes on plants!)

I would like to see the Rays get real good, the way the play the Sox & Yanks I think it could bea good Riverly!
                        http://baseball-fever.com/images/attach/gif.gif
                        Attached Files
                        39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
                        2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

And it's hard to build a tradition Imgran when your fellow neighbors from your neck of the woods move here and won't take off their gear from where they came from. You can't compare us to NY or BOS or BALT since you don't have the transient population that moved there from somewhere else. They move here and even raise their kids to root for a team based 1100 miles away. The only way we can build a fanbase is to win, and turn more and more residents towards supporting the HOME team rather than their FORMER team...
                          Bit of a cop-out, that. Particularly since you drag Fenway South... err I mean Camden Yards into it.

The Rays are a young club. That's the real problem. The Jays, O's, and of course the Sox and Yankees, have been here for a few genereations and their tradition has been romanticized and parents passed their passion on to kids, which tends to form a bit of groupthink momentum. I'm going on 29, and I could vote when the Rays were created and this is practically your first half-decent season and it ain't even through April yet. You haven't even had a chance to build up a local fanbase of any size or permanence.

If a lot of the fans of other teams are transplants to the area who live more or less locally, consider it an opportunity to win converts. You'd be surprised how many baseball fans move to a new area willing to take on a dual citizenship for the privellege of watching *good* baseball. A lot of Sox and Yankee fans in particular are bandwagonners who aren't going to get too many opportunities to see the Sox play at Fenway or the Yankees in the Toi... *ahem* in the Stadium. They're pretty well insulated from any fear of defecting to a true loser, but give them the opportunity to see a bit of winning baseball in Tampa and some longer-term hope to go with it they'll start turning their coats.

You've got little hope amongst the retired set, but the younger folks who come to Florida looking for work should prove recruitable given a good squad. Look around in July if your team's still in the chase. I promise you you'll see what I mean.
                          Last edited by Imgran; 04-28-2008, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Bit of a cop-out, that.
                            Uh, the transient / new resident factor is real and obvious to anyone living here. I personally know of two families recently (less than a decade) from NY who root for the Rays most of the time but wear their Jeter jerseys to the Trop when the Yankees come to town. It's a problem that can only be solved by winning enough that the casual fan switches bandwagons.

You don't see this problem up nahth because A) the teams have built up almost 100 years of tradition and B) nobody wants to move up there.
                            Last edited by zengator; 04-28-2008, 07:35 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

I don't care for the cowbells either, and I'm a Rays fan, because I think it gives off a redneck kind of southern mentality impression
                              Nothing wrong with that. :cap:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X